BIOSYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY STUDY OF HEMIGRAPHIS COLORATA LOADED SILVER NANOPARTICLES
Objective: This study targeted at the synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of the anti-inflammatory effects of Hemigraphis colorata silver nanopartilces (HAgNPs).
Methods: The HAgNPs were photosynthesized and characterized by UV-visible spectroscopy. The in vitro anti-inflammatory properties of HAgNPs were assessed by evaluating inhibition of protein denaturation and membrane stabilization ability assay.
Results: HAgNPs exhibited an absorbance peak at 450 nm, characteristic for AgNPs, and their sizes ranged from 20 to 90 nm. The anti-inflammatory potential of HAgNPs when compared with H. colorata extract suggests that the AgNPs along with polyphenols and flavonoids from H. colorata can act as reducing or inhibiting agent on the release of acute inflammatory mediators.
Conclusion: The biologically synthesized HAgNPs could be of enormous use in the medical field for their proficient anti-inflammatory activity, which can be utilized as novel therapeutic agent for prevention and cure of inflammation due to biocompatible nature. This work clearly demonstrates HAgNPs as a budding source for anti-inflammatory drugs.
2. Wong KK, Cheung SO, Huang L, Niu J, Tao C, Ho CM, et al. Further evidence of the anti-inflammatory effects of silver nanoparticles. ChemMedChem 2009;4:1129-35.
3. Jayaraj RL, Tamilselvam K, Manivasagam T, Elangovan N. Neuroprotective effect of CNB-001, a novel pyrazole derivative of curcumin on biochemical and apoptotic markers against rotenone-induced SK-N-SH cellular model of parkinson’s disease. J Mol Neurosci 2013;51:863-70.
4. Prabhu S, Poulose EK. Silver nanoparticles: Mechanism of antimicrobial action, synthesis, medical applications, and toxicity effects. Int Nano Lett 2012;2:32.
5. Nargis S, Sumit D. Preliminary phytochemical screening and in vitro antimicrobial activity of the leaf extract of Thunbergia coccinea (Family Acanthaceae). Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:111-4.
6. Abbai R, Mathiyalagan R, Markus J, Kim YJ, Wang C, Singh P, et al. Green synthesis of multifunctional silver and gold nanoparticles from the oriental herbal adaptogen: Siberian ginseng. Int J Nanomedicine 2016;11:3131-43.
7. Makarov VV, Love AJ, Sinitsyna OV, Makarova SS, Yaminsky IV, Taliansky ME, et al. “Green” nanotechnologies: Synthesis of metal nanoparticles using plants. Acta Naturae 2014;6:35-44.
8. Yadav E, Singh D, Yadav P, Verma A. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of Prosopis cineraria based phenolic rich ointment in wound healing. Biomed Pharmacother 2018;108:1572-83.
9. Koley TK, Tiwari SK, Sarkar A, Nishad J, Goswami A, Singh B. Antioxidant potential of Indian eggplant: Comparison among white, purple and green genotypes using chemometrics. Agric Res 2019;8:9-20.
10. Sheu JR, Jayakumar T, Chang CC, Chen YC, Priya S, Ong ET, et al. Pharmacological actions of an ethanolic extracts of the leaves Hemigraphis colorata and Clerodendrum phlomoides. Clin Mol Med 2012;3:1-3.
11. Saravanan J, Joshi NH, Joshi VG, Sutar PS, Karigar AA. Wound healing activity of Hemigraphis colorata. Int J Contemp Res Rev 2010;1:1-3.
12. Chah KF, Eze CA, Emuelosi CE, Esimone CO. Antibacterial and wound healing properties of methanolic extracts of some Nigerian medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;104:164-7.
13. Subramoniam A, Evans DA, Rajasekharan S, Nair GS. Effect of Hemigraphis colorata (Blume) HG Hallier leaf on wound healing and inflammation in mice. Indian J Pharmacol 2001;33:283-5.
14. Rahman SM, Atikullah M, Islam MN, Mohaimenul M, Ahammad F, Islam MS, et al. Anti-inflammatory, antinociceptive and antidiarrhoeal activities of methanol and ethyl acetate extract of Hemigraphis alternata leaves in mice. Clin Phytosci 2019;5:16.
15. Lee HJ, Jeong HS, Kim DJ, Noh YH, Yuk DY, Hong JT, et al. Inhibitory effect of citral on NO production by suppression of iNOS expression and NF-kappa B activation in RAW264.7 cells. Arch Pharm Res 2008;31:342-9.
16. Nam NH. Naturally occurring NF-kappaB inhibitors. Mini Rev Med Chem 2006;6:945-51.
17. Jain NK, Kulkarni SK, Singh A. Modulation of NSAID-induced antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects by ?2-adrenoceptor agonists with gastroprotective effects. Life Sci 2002;70:2857-69.
18. Uddin MJ, Rahman MM, Abdullah-Al-Mamun M, Sadik G. Vanda roxburghii: An experimental evaluation of antinociceptive properties of a traditional epiphytic medicinal orchid in animal models. BMC Complement Alternat med 2015;15:305.
19. Wang Q, Kuang H, Su Y, Sun Y, Feng J, Guo R, et al. Naturally derived anti-inflammatory compounds from Chinese medicinal plants. J Ethnopharmacol 2013;146:9-39.
20. Annan K, Houghton PJ. Antibacterial, antioxidant and fibroblast growth stimulation of aqueous extracts of ficus asperifolia miq. And Gossypium arboreum L. wound-healing plants of Ghana. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;119:141-4.
21. Barreto RS, Albuquerque-Júnior RL, Araújo AA, Almeida JR, Santos MR, Barreto AS, et al. A systematic review of the wound-healing effects of monoterpenes and iridoid derivatives. Molecules 2014;19:846-62.
22. Savithramma N, Rao ML, Rukmini K, Devi PS. Antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized by using medicinal plants. Int J ChemTech Res 2011;3:1394-402.
23. Awwad AM, Salem NM, Abdeen AO. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using carob leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. Int J Ind Chem 2013;4:29.
24. Awwad AM, Salem NM. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles by mulberry leaves extract. Nanosci Nanotechnol 2012;2:125-8.
25. Karthik I. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of Canthium parviflorum by in-vitro method. Indian J Res Pharm Biotechnol 2013;1:729-30.
26. Sakat S, Juvekar AR, Gambhire MN. In vitro antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Oxalis corniculata Linn. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:146-55.
27. Oyedapo OO, Famurewa AJ. Antiprotease and membrane stabilizing activities of extracts of Fagara zanthoxyloides, Olax subscorpioides and Tetrapleura tetraptera. Int J Pharmacogn 1995;33:65-9.
28. Sadique J, Al-Rqobahs WA, Bughaith EI, Gindi AR. The bioactivity of certain medicinal plants on the stabilization of RBC membrane system. Fitoterapia 1989;60:525-32.
29. Mohanpuria P, Rana NK, Yadav SK. Biosynthesis of nanoparticles: Technological concepts and future applications. J Nanopart Res 2008;10:507-17.
30. Dubey SP, Lahtinen M, Sillanpää M. Green synthesis and characterizations of silver and gold nanoparticles using leaf extract of Rosa rugosa. Coll Surfaces A 2010;364:34-41.
31. Saxena A, Tripathi RM, Zafar F, Singh P. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous solution of Ficus benghalensis leaf extract and characterization of their antibacterial activity. Mater Lett 2012;67:91-4.
32. Ibrahim HM. Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using banana peel extract and their antimicrobial activity against representative microorganisms. J Radiat Res Appl Sci 2015;8:265-75.
33. Pietta PG. Flavonoids as antioxidants. J Nat Prod 2000;63:1035-42.
34. Niveditha K, Sukirtha TH. Green synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles from Plectranthus amboinicus plant extracts. Indian J Med Res Pharm Sci 2018;5:41-51.
35. Wang W, Chen Q, Jiang C, Yang D, Liu X, Xu S. One-step synthesis of biocompatible gold nanoparticles using gallic acid in the presence of poly-(N-vinyl-2-pyrrolidone). Coll Surfaces A 2007;301:73-9.
36. Mulvaney P. Surface plasmon spectroscopy of nanosized metal particles. Langmuir 1996;12:788-800.
37. Ayad ZM, Ibrahim OM, Omar LW. Biosynthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles by Silybum marianum (silymarin) fruit extract. Adv Anim Vet Sci 2019;7:122-30.
38. Osman NI, Sidik NJ, Awal A, Adam NA, Rezali NI. In vitro xanthine oxidase and albumin denaturation inhibition assay of Barringtonia racemosa L. And total phenolic content analysis for potential anti-inflammatory use in gouty arthritis. J Intercult Ethnopharmacol 2016;5:343-9.
39. Leelaprakash G, Dass SM. In vitro anti-inflammatory activity of methanol extract of Enicostemma axillare. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:189-96.
40. Shenoy S, Kumar H, Thashma NV, Prabhu K, Pai P, Warrier I, et al. Hepatoprotective activity of Plectranthus amboinicus against paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharmacol Clin Sci 2012;2:32-8.
41. Kumar S, Sharma UK, Sharma AK, Pandey AK. Protective efficacy of solanum xanthocarpum root extracts against free radical damage: Phytochemical analysis and antioxidant effect. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 2012;58:174-81.
42. Yilmaz O, Ertoy Karagol IH, Bakirtas A, Topal E, Celik GE, Demirsoy MS, et al. Challenge-proven nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug hypersensitivity in children. Allergy 2013;68:1555-61.
43. Bhol KC, Schechter PJ. Effects of nanocrystalline silver (NPI 32101) in a rat model of ulcerative colitis. Dig Dis Sci 2007;52:2732-42.
44. Conner EM, Grisham MB. Inflammation, free radicals, and antioxidants. Nutrition 1996;12:274-7.
45. Dharmasoth RD, Ganga RB. Qualitative phytochemical screening and FTIR spectroscopic analysis of Grewia tilifolia (Vahl) leaf extracts. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:100-7.
46. Bidisha B, Sumit D. Preliminary phytochemical screening and to evaluate anti-oxidant property on root extract of Dillenia indica (elephant apple). Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:128-33.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.