CIRCULATING SERUM ADIPONECTIN AND OXIDATIVE STRESS BIOMARKERS IN PREDIABETES AND TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS PATIENTS
Objectives: Adipocytokines and oxidative stress have been independently studied in various morbidities, but their interrelationship in mediating insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus is still unclear. Thus, the present study was aimed at evaluating malondialdehyde (MDA) levels in pre-diabetes and diabetics and correlating it with adiponectin levels.
Methods: Fifty controls, 50 pre-diabetic, and 50 diabetic patients were enrolled. Plasma MDA, uric acid, and adiponectin were measured in the blood samples. Serum MDA adiponectin was analyzed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and uric acid was analyzed by uricase method.
Results: Pre-diabetic and diabetic patients had higher levels of MDA and uric acid, while the level of adiponectin was low compared to controls. Correlation of MDA was positive with uric acid but negative with adiponectin in diabetic patients. Likewise, adiponectin and uric acid were also correlated negatively. In pre-diabetes, adiponectin was significantly and negatively correlated with MDA and uric acid.
Conclusions: Pre-diabetic and diabetic patients have increased oxidative stress, which is also linked with adipokine abnormalities. From this study, we observed that oxidative stress suppresses adiponectin production which is the protective adipokine in hyperglycemia. Thus, oxidative stress may serve as an indicator or target for in the control of hyperglycemic stress.
2. Halliwell B. Antioxidants: The basics what they are and how to evaluate them. Adv Pharmacol 1997;38:3-20.
3. Schieber M, Chandel NS. ROS function in redox signaling and oxidative stress. Curr Biol 2014;24:R453-62.
4. Brand MD. Mitochondrial generation of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide as the source of mitochondrial redox signaling. Free Radic Biol Med 2016;100:14-31.
5. Sharma P, Kumar P, Sharma R, Prakash S. Assessment of cardiometabolic risk factors among local population of NCR. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:212-3.
6. Kizer JR. A tangled threesome: Adiponectin, insulin sensitivity, and adiposity: Can mendelian randomization sort out causality? Diabetes 2013;62:1007-9.
7. Shehzad A, Iqbal W, Shehzad O, Lee YS. Adiponectin: Regulation of its production and its role in human diseases. Hormones (Athens) 2012;11:8-20.
8. Saad EA. Curative and protective effects of L-arginine on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012;423:147-51.
9. Saad EA, Habib SA. Effect of crude extracts of some medicinal plants on the osmotic stability of human erythrocytes in vitro. J Free Radic Antioxid Photon 2013;139:265-72.
10. Koch A, Sanson E, Voigt S, Helm A, Trautwein C, Tacke F, et al. Serum adiponectin upon admission to the intensive care unit may predict mortality in critically ill patients. J Crit Care 2011;26:166-74.
11. Noberasco G, Odetti P, Boeri D, Maiello M, Adezati L. Malondialdehyde (MDA) level in diabetic subjects. Relationship with blood glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin. Biomed Pharmacother 1991;45:193-6.
12. Bhatia S, Shukla R, Venkata Madhu S, Kaur Gambhir J, Madhava Prabhu K. Antioxidant status, lipid peroxidation and nitric oxide end products in patients of type 2 diabetes mellitus with nephropathy. Clin Biochem 2003;36:557-62.
13. Saad EA, Habib SA, Refai WA, Elfayoumy AA. Malondialdehyde, adiponectin, nitric oxide, C-reactive protein, tumor necrosis factor-alpha and insulin resistance relationships and inter-relationships in Type 2 diabetes early stage. Is metformin alone adequate in this stage? Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:176-81.
14. Nakanishi S, Yamane K, Kamei N, Nojima H, Okubo M, Kohno N. A protective effect of adiponectin against oxidative stress in Japanese Americans: The association between adiponectin or leptin and urinary isoprostane. Metabolism 2005;54:194-9.
15. David F, Farley J, Huang H, Lavoie JP, Laverty S. Cytokine and chemokine gene expression of IL-1beta stimulated equine articular chondrocytes. Vet Surg 2007;36:221-7.
16. Chokkalingam V, Tel J, Wimmers F, Liu X, Semenov S, Thiele J, et al. Probing cellular heterogeneity in cytokine-secreting immune cells using droplet-based microfluidics. Lab Chip 2013;13:4740-4.
17. Koci? R, Pavlovi? D, Koci? G, Pesi? M. Susceptibility to oxidative stress, insulin resistance, and insulin secretory response in the development of diabetes from obesity. Vojnosanit Pregl 2007;64:391 7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.