the FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF HERBAL BATH SOAP CONTAINING METHANOLIC EXTRACTS OF THREE AYURVEDIC VARNYA HERBS
Objectives: The ultimate aim of this study is to formulate and evaluate the herbal bath soap using methanolic extracts of three plants having ethnic and dermatological importance in Ayurveda, namely, Hemidesmus indicus, Cyperus rotundus, and Saussurea lappa.
Methods: The roots of H. indicus and S. lappa and rhizomes of C. rotundus were extracted with ethanol using Soxhlet apparatus. Then, these extracts were used to make soap by reacting oil and lye in a process of saponification.
Results: The soap made was evaluated for physicochemical characters such as total fatty matter, moisture content, and pH and found to be 77, 5.3%, and 8 and for other parameters, good characteristics were observed.
Discussion: The soap also exhibited good cleaning efficiency in removing microbes on hands.
Conclusion: Hence, based on the antimicrobial effects and parameters, the formulated soap can further be standardized and an alternative to commercial medicinal and skin whitening soaps.
2. Maru AD, Lahoti SR. Formulation and evaluation of moisturizing cream containing sunflower wax. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;11:54-9.
3. Pushpa R, Mamta A, Sharma S. Phytochemical and antioxidant properties of various extracts of Michelia champaca leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:5-614.
4. Oyedele AO, Akinkunmi EO, Fabiyi DD, Orafidiya LO. Physicochemical properties and antimicrobial activities of soap formulations containing Senna alata and Eugenia uniflora leaf preparations. J Med Plant Res 2017;11:778-87.
5. Esimone C, Nworu C, Ekong U, Okereke B. Evaluation of the antiseptic properties of Cassia alata-based herbal soap. Internet J Alternat Med 2007;6:1-5.
6. Sharma K, Joshi N, Goyal C. Critical review of ayurvedic var?ya herbs and their tyrosinase inhibition effect. Anc Sci Life 2015;35:18-25.
7. Pulok M, Rajarshi B, Akanksha S, Subhadip B, Sayan B, Chandra K. Validation of medicinal herbs for anti-tyrosinase potential. J Herb Med 2018;14:1-16.
8. Hunt JA. A short history of soap. Pharm J 1999;263:985-9.
9. Mukhopadhyay P. Cleansers and their role in various dermatological disorders. Indian J Dermatol 2011;56:2-6.
10. Nagat M, Barka E, Lawrence R, Saani M. Phytochemical screening, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of active compounds from Hemidesmus indicus. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:24-7.
11. Manjulatha P. Phytochemistry, Pharmacology and Therapeutics of Hemidesmus indicus (L.). 2014.
12. Uma C, Shrusti S, Chandrasek SB, Bhanumathy M, Midhun T. Phytochemical evaluation and anti-arthritic activity of root of Saussurea lappa. Pharmacologia 2011;2:265-7.
13. Pandey MM, Rastogi S, Rawat AK. Saussurea costus: Botanical, chemical and pharmacological review of an ayurvedic medicinal plant. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;110:379-90.
14. Kamala A, Middha SK, Gopinath C, Sindhura HS, Karigar CS. In vitro antioxidant potentials of Cyperus rotundus L. Rhizome extracts and their phytochemical analysis. Pharmacogn Mag 2018;14:261-7.
15. Sivapalan SR. Medicinal uses and pharmacological activities of Cyperus rotundus Linn – a review. Int J Sci Res 2013;3:1-8.
16. Bernard P, Berthon JY. Resveratrol: An original mechanism on tyrosinase inhibition. Int J Cosmet Sci 2000;22:219-26.
17. Yi W, Cao R, Peng W, Wen H, Yan Q, Zhou B, et al. Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde derivatives as tyrosinase inhibitors. Eur J Med Chem 2010;45:639-46.
18. Kundu A, Mitra A. Evaluating tyrosinase (monophenolase) inhibitory activity from fragrant roots of Hemidesmus indicus for potent use in herbal products. Ind Crops Prod 2014;52:394-9.
19. Shetty TK, Satav JG, Nair CK. Radiation protection of DNA and membrane in vitro by extract of Hemidesmus indicus. Phytother Res 2005;19:387-90.
20. Lee KT, Kim BJ, Kim JH, Heo MY, Kim HP. Biological screening of 100 plant extracts for cosmetic use (I): Inhibitory activities of tyrosinase and DOPA auto-oxidation. Int J Cosmet Sci 1997;19:291-8.
21. Ruckmani K, Krishnamoorthy R, Samuel S, Linda H, Kumari J. Formulation of herbal bath soap from Vitex negundo leaf extract. J Chem Pharm Sci 2014;2:974-2115.
22. Afsar Z, Khanam S. Formulation and evaluation of poly herbal soap and hand sanitizer. Int Res J Pharm 2016;7:54-7.
23. Kaur M, Dhawan P, Damor S, Arora D, Soni IP. Investigating and exploiting the antibacterial potential of clove (Eugenia caryophyllyum) extracts while utilizing it to the maximum to develop liquid soap against drug resistant bacteria causing skin diseases. Int J Pharm Biol Arch 2014;5:110-5.
24. Wijetunge WM, Perera BG. Preparation of liquid medicinal soap products using Adhatoda vasica (Adhatoda) leaf extracts. Int J Multidiscip Stud 2015;2:73-81.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.