PRELIMINARY PHYTOCHEMISTRY AND ANTIDIABETIC ACTIVITY OF PORTULACA GRANDIFLORA HOOK PLANT EXTRACT ON STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETES IN RATS
Objective: The present study was aimed to evaluate the antidiabetic activity of ethanolic extract of the whole aerial plant of Portulaca grandiflora Hook on streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats.
Methods: Experimental diabetes was induced by a single dose of intraperitoneal injection of STZ (150 mg/kg). Adult male Wister albino rats were divided into five groups; normal control, diabetic control, diabetic glibenclamide (5 mg/kg), diabetic P. grandiflora H. extract (200 mg/kg), and diabetic P. grandiflora H. extract (400 mg/kg) for 21 days and analyzed for body weight (BW) and blood glucose.
Results: The STZ-treated diabetic control rats showed a significant increase in blood glucose with a concomitant decrease in BW. Oral administration of P. grandiflora H. extract (200 and 400 mg/kg) and glibenclamide (5 mg/kg) for 21 days showed a significant reduction in blood glucose levels and elevation in the bodyweight studies as compared to control and glibenclamide-treated rats.
Conclusion: The results of the present study showed that a potent antidiabetic activity was present in the aerial part of plant P. grandiflora H. extract.
2. Kumar MR, Kunchu K, Pallab KH. Role of herbal plants in the diabetes mellitus therapy: An overview. Int J Appl Pharm 2014;6:1-3.
3. Nash DB, Koenig JB, Novielli KD, Liberoni R, Reisman M. The importance of individualized pharmaceutical therapy in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Dis Manag 2001;4 Suppl 1:5-23.
4. Noor A, Gunasekaran S, Amirtham S, Vijayalakshmi MA. Antidiabetic activity of Aloe vera and histology of organs in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Curr Sci 2008;94:1070-6.
5. Jia Q, Liu X, Wu X, Wang R, Hu X, Li Y, et al. Hypoglycemic activity of a polyphenolic oligomer-rich extract of Cinnamomum parthenoxylon bark in normal and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Phytomedicine 2009;16:744-50.
6. Tomy S, Chander J, Celine S, Tk U, Kandasamy C, Arulraj P, et al. Anti-diabetic effect of polyherbal formulation in ogtt and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rat model. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:216-9.
7. Lim CK, Tiong WN, Loo JL. Antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of different varieties of Portulaca grandiflora. Int J Phytopharm 2014;4:1-5.
8. Anitha K, Yashoda PR. Antihyperlipidemic effect of ethanolic seed extract of Canavalia ensiformis (L) in high fat diet-streptozotocin induced rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:99-102.
9. Rasool R, Ganai BA, Akbar S, Kamili AN, Masood A. Phytochemical screening of Prunella vulgaris L. An important medicinal plant of Kashmir. Pak J Pharm Sci 2010;23:399-402.
10. Prasad SK, Alka K, Taj NQ. Antidiabetic activity of some herbal plants in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino rats. Pak J Nutr 2009;8:551-7.
11. Trinder P. Determination of glucose in blood using glucose oxidase with an alternative oxygen acceptor. Ann Clin Biochem 1969;6:24-7.
12. Young DS. Effects of drugs on clinical laboratory tests. Ann Clin Biochem 1997;34:579-81.
13. Akbarzadeh A, Noruzian D, Jamshidi S, Farhangi A, Mehrabi MR, Rad BL, et al. Treatment of streptozotocin induced diabetes in male rats by immunoisolated transplantation of islet cells. Indian J Clin Biochem 2007;22:71-6.
14. Gronowski AM, editor. Handbook of Clinical Laboratory Testing During Pregnancy. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2004. Available from: http://www.link.springer.com/10.1007/978-1-59259-787-1. [Last accessed on 2019 Oct 21].
15. Petchi RR, Parasuraman S, Vijaya C. Antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic effects of an ethanolic extract of the whole plant of Tridax procumbens (Linn.) in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Basic Clin Pharm 2013;4:88-92.
16. Shafi S, Tabassum N. Study of ethanolic extract of Portulaca oleracea (whole plant) on blood glucose levels and body weight in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int Res J Pharm 2018;9:71-6.
17. Reddy NS, Sabbani VR, Choday V. In vitro and in vivo antidiabetic activity of Rumex vesicarius leaves extract in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino Wister rats. J Diabetes Metab 2017;8:1-4.
18. Khosla P, Gupta DD, Nagpal RK. Effect of Trigonella foenum graecum (Fenugreek) on blood glucose in normal and diabetic rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1995;39:173-4.
19. Putta S, Chedalawada V. Dose dependent effect on hypoglycemic and antihyperglycemic activities of chloroform extract of Physalis minima in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2014;6:61-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.