SELF-NANO EMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM OF EFAVIRENZ: FORMULATION, IN VITRO EVALUATION AND CHARACTERIZATION
Objective: The main objective of this study was to preparation and evaluation of efavirenz (EFV) to enhance its solubility and dissolution rate by self-emulsifying drug delivery system.
Methods: EFV self-emulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) were formulated using different oils, surfactant, and co-surfactant. Peceol, Tween 20, and Capmul MCM were used as oil, surfactant, and co-surfactant, respectively, followed by the evaluation by the performance of different tests such as visual observation, solubility studies, thermodynamic stability study, transmittance studies, drug content, and in-vitro release study.
Results: Fourier-transform infrared studies revealed negligible drug and polymer interaction. From the phase diagram, it was observed that self-emulsifying region was enhanced with increasing surfactant and co-surfactant concentrations with oil. F13 was selected as optimized formulation on the basis of physicochemical parameters, particle size, and in-vitro dissolution studies with the release of 98.39±5.10% drug in 1 hour. The optimized formulation size was found to be 156.7 nm as mean droplet size and Z-Average of 808.6 nm with -18.3 mV as zeta potential.
Conclusion: The study demonstrated that SNEDDS was a promising strategy to enhance the dissolution rate of EFV by improving solubility.
2. Saurabh SS, Issarani R, Nagorib P. Formulation and evaluation of selfe-mulsifying drug delivery system of etoricoxib. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:367-72.
3. Vijaykumar N, Sandeep K. Development of novel lipid based drug delivery system forraloxifine hydrochloride. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:2230-8407.
4. PatroSisinthy S, Rao NK, Sarah CL. Design, optimization and In vitro characterization of self nano emulsifying drug delivery system of olmesartan medoxomil. Int J Pharm Sci 2011;3:238.
5. Koh PT, Chuah JN, Talekar M, Gorajana A, Garg S. Formulation development and dissolution rate enhancement of efavirenz by solid dispersion systems. Indian J Pharm Sci 2013;75:291-301.
6. Venkateswara Reddy B, Krishna Veni K. Formulation and evaluation of efavirenz microspheres. Der Pharm Lett 2015;7:1-9.
7. Basalious EB, Shawky N, Badr-Eldin SM. SNEDDS containing bioenhancers for improvement of dissolution and oral absorption of lacidipine. I: Development and optimization. Int J Pharm 2010;391:203-11.
8. Patel J, Kevin G, Patel A, Raval M, Sheth N. Design and development of a self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system for telmisartan for oral drug delivery. Int J Pharm Investig 2011;1:112-8.
9. Sermkaew N, Ketjinda W, Boonme P, Phadoongsombut N, Wiwattanapatapee R. Liquid and solid self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems for improving the oral bioavailability of andrographolide from a crude extract of Andrographis paniculata. Eur J Pharm Sci 2013;50:459-66.
10. Kaur G, Chandel P, Harikumar SL. Formulation development of self nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (snedds) of celecoxib for improvement of oral bioavailability. Pharmacophore 2013;4:120-33.
11. Gupta AK, Mishra DK, Mahajan SC. Preparation and in-vitro evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery system of antihypertensive drug Valsartan. Int J Pharm and Life Sci 2011;2:633-9.
12. Bhikshapathi DV, Madhukar P, Dilip KB, Aravind KG. Formulation and characterization of Pioglitazone HCl self-emulsifying drug delivery system. Sch Res Library 2013;5:292-305.
13. Chirag R. Enhanced oral bioavailability of olmesartan by using novel solid SNEDDS. Int J Adv Pharm 2012;2:82-92.
14. Kapil A, Aggarwal G, Harikumar S. Formulation and evaluation of nano suspension and nano emulsion of rosuvastatin and their comparative study. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2015;1:101-16.
15. Nasr V, Gardouh A, Ghorab A. Novel Solid Self-Nano emulsifying drug delivery System (S-SNEDDS) for oral delivery of olmesartan medoxomil: Design formulation, pharmacokinetic and bioavailability evaluation. Pharmaceutics 2016;8:1-29.
16. VanitaSagar S, Subhashini NJ. Self-nano emulsion drug delivery system of fenofibrate with improved bio-availability. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2013;4:511-21.
17. Date AA, Nagarsenker MS. Design and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems (SNEDDS) for cefpodoxime proxetil. Int J Pharm 2007;329:166-72.
18. Ruan G, Feng SS. Preparation and characterization of poly(lactic acid)-poly(ethylene glycol)-poly(lactic acid) (PLA-PEG-PLA) microspheres for controlled release of paclitaxel. Biomaterials 2003;24:5037-44.
19. Ke Z, Hou X, Jia XB. Design and optimization of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems for improved bioavailability of cyclovirobuxine D. Drug Des Devel Ther 2016;10:2049-60.
20. Lalit KT, Mohan LK. Stability study and In-vivo evaluation of lornoxicam loaded ethyl cellulose microspheres. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2014;6:26-30.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.