IN VITRO STUDIES ON THE ANTIDIABETIC ACTIVITY OF 2-THIOHYDANTOIN USING α-amylase AND α-GLUCOSIDASE
Objective: The aim of the present study was to investigate the inhibitory effect of 2-thiohydantoin on the enzymes α-amylase and α-glucosidase in vitro as an antidiabetic therapeutic approach to reduce gastrointestinal glucose production.
Methods: Antidiabetic activity of the compound, 2-thiohydantoin was measured using the enzymes α-amylase and α-glucosidase.
Results: Half-maximal inhibitory concentration of the antidiabetic α-amylase was found to be 410.35 μg/ml and α-glucosidase was found to be 356.33 μg/ml, respectively.
Conclusion: The result obtained in the in vitro enzyme assay suggests the antidiabetic activity of 2-thiohydantoin.
2. Li Y, Wen S, Kota BP, Peng G, Li GQ, Yamahara J, et al. Punica granatum flower extract, a potent alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, improves postprandial hyperglycemia in zucker diabetic fatty rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;99:239-44.
3. Tiwari AK, Rao JM. Diabetes mellitus and multiple therapeutic approaches of phytochemicals: Present status and future prospects. Curr Sci 2002;83:30-8.
4. Monami M, Ahrén B, Dicembrini I, Mannucci E. Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors and cardiovascular risk: A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013;15:112-20.
5. Boutati EI, Raptis SA. Postprandial hyperglycaemia in Type 2 diabetes: Pathophysiological aspects, teleological notions and flags for clinical practice. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2004;20 Suppl 2:S13-23.
6. Wang ZD, Sheikh SO, Zhang Y. A simple synthesis of 2-thiohydantoins. Molecules 2006;11:739-50.
7. Hansawasdi C, Kawabata J, Kasai T. Alpha-amylase inhibitors from roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn.) tea. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2000;64:1041-3.
8. Ramprasad R, Madhusudhan S, Dhanapal CK. In vitro ?-glucosidase inhibitory activities of ethonolic extract of Oldenlandia corymbosa. Der Pharm Chem 2016;8:135-9.
9. Reka P, Banu T, Seethalakshmi M. Alpha amylase and alpha glucosidase inhibition activity of selected edible seaweeds from South coast area of India. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:64-8.
10. Jaiswal P, Kumar P. Alpha amylase inhibitory activity of different extract of bark of Albizia lebbeck (L.) benth. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:119-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.