DEVELOPMENT, EVALUATION, AND CHARACTERIZATION OF LOSARTAN POTASSIUM BUCCAL PATCHES USING JACKFRUIT POLYMER
Objective: The objective was to develop buccal patches of an antihypertensive drug and losartan potassium using jackfruit polymer for sustained buccal delivery.
Methods: The patches were prepared by the solvent casting method. Five formulations were developed with varying concentrations of jackfruit polymer. USP type II apparatus was used to perform in-vitro release study under perfect sink condition. Buccal formulations were developed to a satisfactory level in terms of drug release, bioadhesive strength, content uniformity, moisture content, surface pH, thickness, and stability study.
Results: From the results obtained F5 was found as best formulation, having appropriate folding endurance greater than 300, moisture content of 1.14±0.03 percentage (%), moisture uptake of 6.21±0.12%, swelling index (62.78%), bioadhesion strength (37.62±0.25 g), and bioadhesion time of 9 h 5 min. Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy studies have shown no interactions between drug and polymer. All the formulations followed zero-order kinetics.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that mucoadhesive buccal patches of losartan potassium using jackfruit polymer are an auspicious dosage form to prolong the release of drug and enhance its poor oral bioavailability.
2. Sabry SA. Sodium cromoglycate mucoadhesive buccal patches: Design, fabrication, in vitro and in vivo characterization. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:76-82.
3. Sanghi DK, Tiwle R. An overview on buccal drug delivery system. Int J Pharmacother 2015;5:8-16.
4. Baveja SK, Rao KV, Arora J. Examination of natural gums and mucilages as sustaining materials in tablet dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Sci 1988;50:89-92.
5. Singh S, Bothara S. Development of oral mucoadhesive tablet of losartan potassium using natural gum from Manilkara zapota seeds. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2015;6:1-15.
6. Joshi Y, Chandrul KK. Effect of storage on the drug release of tablet formulations prepared by novel plant mucilage’s as binding agent. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2015;5:3324-37.
7. Rao TR, Hussain MA, Bharathi C, Shilpa A, Anjum M. Bioadhesive polymer buccal tablets for losartan potassium controlled delivery: Formulation, in-vitro and ex-vivo evaluation. Am J Adv Drug Deliv 2015;3:1-10.
8. Chemate SZ, Priyanka SB. Formulation and evaluation of losartan potassium bi-layer buccal tablet using mucoadhesive polymer. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:2624-30.
9. Ajanta R, Chandra S, Parthiban KG, Kante NR, Sandeep D. Development and in vitro evaluation of buccoadhesive tablets of losartan potassium. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:277-81.
10. Bulhe PJ, Mahajan SK, Ghule PJ. Formulation and evaluation of buccal patches by using natural gum. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2016;6:684-95.
11. Roda A, Prabhu P, Dubey A. Design and evaluation of buccal patches containing combination of hydrochlorothiazide and atenolol. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:105-12.
12. Shivane P, Solanki D. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal patch of timolol maleate. Am J Pharm Tech Res 2017;7:335-48.
13. Attama A, Akpa PA, Onugwu LE, Igwilo G. Novel buccoadhesive delivery system of hydrochlorothiazide formulated with ethyl cellulose hydroxypropyl methylcellulose interpolymer complex. Sci Res Essays 2008;3:26-33.
14. Kaur A, Kaur G. Mucoadhesive buccal patches based on interpolymer complexes of chitosan-pectin for delivery of carvedilol. Saudi Pharm J 2012;20:21-7.
15. Muthumanikandar RV, Edavalath S, Mukerghee R, Shan M. Development and in vitro evaluation of buccoadhesive tablets of losartan potassium. J Pharm Res 2011;4:1751-3.
16. Patel VM, Prajapati BG, Patel MM. Design and characterization of chitosan-containing mucoadhesive buccal patches of propranolol hydrochloride. Acta Pharm 2007;57:61-72.
17. Thombre SK, Gaikwad SS. Design and development of mucoadhesive buccal delivery for pantoprazole with stability enhancement in human saliva. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:122-7.
18. Raparla R, Chowdary YA, Thatipamula S. Formulation and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal tablets of candesartan. Am J Adv Drug Deliv 2013;1:369-86.
19. Ahuja M, Kumar S, Kumar A. Evaluation of mucoadhesive potential of gum Cordia, an anionic polysaccharide. Int J Biol Macromol 2013;55:109-12.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.