QUALITY OF LIFE ASSESSMENT IN THE HEART FAILURE PATIENTS TAKING STANDARD MEDICAL CARE IN TEACHING HOSPITAL
Quality of life in Heart failure
Objective: This study was aimed to assess the quality of life (QoL) of the subjects having congestive heart failure (HF) under different domains of life, such as physical, psychological, and social domains, and they started taking the standard care treatment.
Methods: The questionnaire-based prospective study was designed to assess the effects of the HF in different domains of life such as social, psychological, physical, or mental. After getting consent from the subjects, health questionnaire was provided to a total of 60 subjects.
Results: We found drastic improvements in 24% of total HF cases in terms of physical debility, whereas only 15% patients reported none of the complications during taking standard care therapy. Total 32.5% patients aware of the treatment took and to whom contact in an emergency. Psychological disturbances and life satisfaction were observed in 16.66% and 33.33% cases suffering from HF. Patient compliance means personal life, as well as medication adherence, was observed in only 53.33%.
Conclusions: The results obtained from the responses given by the patients in the health questionnaires demonstrated that the HF patients’ needs awareness regarding the therapy precautions that improving the QoL of patients.
2. Available from: http://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/ cardiovascular-diseases-(cvds). [Last accessed on 2019 Aug 19].
3. Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JG, Coats AJ, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The task force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European society of cardiology (ESC)Developed with the special contribution of the heart failure association (HFA) of the ESC. Eur Heart J 2016;37:2129-200.
4. Buttar HS, Li T, Ravi N. Prevention of cardiovascular diseases: Role of exercise, dietary interventions, obesity and smoking cessation. Exp Clin Cardiol 2005;10:229-49.
5. MacIntyre K, Capewell S, Stewart S, Chalmers JW, Boyd J, Finlayson A, et al. Evidence of improving prognosis in heart failure: Trends in case fatality in 66 547 patients hospitalized between 1986 and 1995. Circulation 2000;102:1126-31.
6. Heo S, Lennie TA, Okoli C, Moser DK. Quality of life in patients with heart failure: Ask the patients. Heart Lung 2009;38:100-8.
7. Riedinger MS, Dracup KA, Brecht ML. Quality of life in women with heart failure, normative groups, and patients with other chronic conditions. Am J Crit Care 2002;11:211-9.
8. Juenger J, Schellberg D, Kraemer S, Haunstetter A, Zugck C, Herzog W, et al. Health related quality of life in patients with congestive heart failure: Comparison with other chronic diseases and relation to functional variables. Heart 2002;87:235-41.
9. van Jaarsveld CH, Sanderman R, Miedema I, Ranchor AV, Kempen GI. Changes in health-related quality of life in older patients with acute myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure: A prospective study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2001;49:1052-8.
10. Dixon T, Lim LL, Oldridge NB. The MacNew heart disease health-related quality of life instrument: Reference data for users. Qual Life Res 2002;11:173-83.
11. Riedinger MS, Dracup KA, Brecht ML, SOLVD Investigatos Studies of Left Ventricular Dysfunction. Quality of life in women with heart failure, normative groups, and patients with other chronic conditions. Am J Crit Care 2002;11:211-9.
12. Grady KL, Jalowiec A, White-Williams C, Pifarre R, Kirklin JK, Bourge RC, et al. Predictors of quality of life in patients with advanced heart failure awaiting transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant 1995;14:2-10.
13. Westlake C, Dracup K, Creaser J, Livingston N, Heywood JT, Huiskes BL, et al. Correlates of health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure. Heart Lung 2002;31:85-93.
14. Dracup K, Walden JA, Stevenson LW, Brecht ML. Quality of life in patients with advanced heart failure. J Heart Lung Transplant 1992;11:273-9.
15. Nordgren L, Sörensen S. Symptoms experienced in the last six months of life in patients with end-stage heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2003;2:213-7.
16. Zambroski CH, Moser DK, Bhat G, Ziegler C. Impact of symptom prevalence and symptom burden on quality of life in patients with heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2005;4:198-206.
17. Coelho R, Ramos S, Prata J, Bettencourt P, Ferreira A, Cerqueira- Gomes M. Heart failure and health related quality of life. Clin Pract Epidemiol Ment Health 2005;1:19.
18. Boyd KJ, Murray SA, Kendall M, Worth A, Frederick Benton T, Clausen H. Living with advanced heart failure: A prospective, community based study of patients and their carers. Eur J Heart Fail 2004;6:585-91.
19. Rector TS, Anand IS, Cohn JN. Relationships between clinical assessments and patients’ perceptions of the effects of heart failure on their quality of life. J Card Fail 2006;12:87-92.
20. Alla F, Briançon S, Guillemin F, Juillière Y, Mertès PM, Villemot JP, et al. Self-rating of quality of life provides additional prognostic information in heart failure. Insights into the EPICAL study. Eur J Heart Fail 2002;4:337-43.
21. Konstam V, Salem D, Pouleur H, Kostis J, Gorkin L, Shumaker S, et al. Baseline quality of life as a predictor of mortality and hospitalization in 5,025 patients with congestive heart failure. SOLVD investigations. Studies of left ventricular dysfunction investigators. Am J Cardiol 1996;78:890-5.
22. Davis RC, Hobbs RF, Kenkre JE, Roalfe AK, McLeod S, Hare R, et al. Quality of life in heart failure and others conditions. JACC 1999;33:211A.
23. Available from: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/whoqol-qualityoflife/en. [Last Accessed on 2019 Aug 19].
24. Bullinger M. Health related quality of life and subjective health. Overview of the status of research for new evaluation criteria in medicine. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol 1997;47:76-91.
25. Broström A, Strömberg A, Dahlström U, Fridlund B. Patients with congestive heart failure and their conceptions of their sleep situation. J Adv Nurs 2001;34:520-9.
26. Murberg TA, Bru E, Svebak S, Tveterås R, Aarsland T. Depressed mood and subjective health symptoms as predictors of mortality in patients with congestive heart failure: A two-years follow-up study. Int J Psychiatry Med 1999;29:311-26.
27. Heo S, Moser DK, Lennie TA, Chung ML. Gender differences in the effects of physical and emotional symptoms on health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure. Circulation 2005;111:E-59.
28. Parshall MB, Welsh JD, Brockopp DY, Heiser RM, Schooler MP, Cassidy KB. Dyspnea duration, distress, and intensity in emergency department visits for heart failure. Heart Lung 2001;30:47-56.
29. Friedman MM. Older adults’ symptoms and their duration before hospitalization for heart failure. Heart Lung 1997;26:169-76.
30. Havranek EP, Ware MG, Lowes BD. Prevalence of depression in congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1999;84:348-50, A9.
31. Juenger J, Kraemer S, Schellberg D, Habich A, Zugck C, Haass M, et al. Quality of Life, anxiety and depression dependent on NYHA-class in patients with chronic heart failure [abstract]. Psychosom Med 1998;60:106-7.
32. Jiang W, Alexander J, Christopher E, Kuchibhatla M, Gaulden LH, Cuffe MS, et al. Relationship of depression to increased risk of mortality and rehospitalization in patients with congestive heart failure. Arch Intern Med 2001;161:1849-56.
33. Noviyani R, Indrayathi PA, Budiana IN, Suwiyoga K, Tunas K. Assessment of life quality in patients with stage IIB-IIIB squamous cell cervical cancer receiving paclitaxel cisplatin chemotherapy regimen by eortc QLQ-C30 questionnaire in sanglah hospital Denpasar. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:222-6.
34. Ruppar TM, Cooper PS, Mehr DR, Delgado JM, Dunbar-Jacob JM. Medication adherence interventions improve heart failure mortality and readmission rates: Systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials. J Am Heart Assoc 2016;5:e002606.
35. Mohammed Al-Z AA, AL-Amrani MA, Alakhali KM, Aljaber N. Evaluation of medication compliance in patients with congestive heart failure in Yemen. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:93-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.