IN VITRO EVALUATION OF ANTIOXIDANT POTENTIAL AND TOTAL PHENOLIC CONTENT OF BARLERIA LONGIFLORA LEAF EXTRACTS
Objective: The aim of this present study is to estimate the antioxidant potential found in the leaves of Barleria longiflora that belongs to the family Acanthacea.
Methods: Antioxidant activity of six different solvent extracts system of B. longiflora leaves was assayed for 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) free radical activity, scavenging of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), ferric reducing antioxidant activity, metal chelating ability assay, and total reducing ability. Total phenolic content of the extracts was determined by Folin–Ciocalteu method.
Results: The radical scavenging activity was evaluated by DPPH of ethanol extract at concentration of 100 μg/mg was found to be 56.5% followed by methanol 48.4%, whereas maximum scavenging of H2O2 was observed in ethanol 83.4% followed by chloroform 70.8%. Ethanolic extract of B. longiflora leaves showed the highest value in ferric reducing antioxidant power assay 74.8%, metal chelating activity 61.6%, and total reducing ability 0.76±0.02 when compared to the standard ascorbic acid.
Conclusion: The results suggest that the antioxidant potential of the ethanol extract has the highest activity in compared to other five extracts of B. longiflora leaves.
2. Kumar KS, Ganesan K, Rao PV. Antioxidant potential of solvent extracts of Kappaphycus alvarezii (Doty) doty an edible seaweed. Food Chem 2008;107:289-95.
3. Pourmorad F, Hosseinimehr SJ, Shahabimajd N. Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid contents of some selected Iranian medicinal plants. Afr J Biotechnol 2006;5:1142-45.
4. Umesh TG. In vitro antioxidant potential, free radical scavening and cytotoxic activity of Simarouba glauca leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:411-6.
5. Muniyandi MJ, Jayachitra A. Phytochemical investigation of Barleria longoflora Linn. F. In Western Ghats Madurai. Res J Life Sci Bioinform Pharm Chem Sci 2019;5:700-9.
6. Blois MS. Antioxidant determinations by the use of a stable free radical. Nature 1958;181:1199-200.
7. Ruch RJ, Cheng SJ, Klaunig JE. Prevention of cytotoxicity and inhibition of intracellular communication by antioxidant catechins isolated from Chinese green tea. Carcinogen 1989;10:1003-8.
8. Gulcin I, Oktay M, Kireçci E, Kufreviolu O. Screening of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of anise (Pimpinella anisum L.) seed extracts. Food Chem 2003;83:371-82.
9. Oyaizu M. Studies on products of browning reactions: Antioxidant activities of product of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn J Nutr 1986;44:307-15.
10. Decker EA, Welch B. Role of ferritin as a lipid oxidation catalyst in muscle food. J Agric Food Chem 1990;38:674-7.
11. Benzie IF, Strain JJ. Ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of antioxidant power: The FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996;239:70-6.
12. Singleton VL, Rossi JA. Colorimetry of total phenolics with phosphomolybdic-phosphotungstic acid reagents. Am J Enol Vitic 1965;16:144-58.
13. Rosangkima G, Prasad SB. Antitumour activity of some plants from Meghalaya and Mizoram against murine ascites Dalton’s lymphoma. Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:981-8.
14. Devasagyam TP, Tilak JC, Boloor KK, Sane KS, Ghaskadbi SS, Lele RD. Free radicals and antioxidants in human health: Current status and future prospects. J Assoc Physicians India 2004;52:794-804.
15. Archana D, Dixitha M, Santhy KS. Antioxidant and anticlastogenic potential of Piper longum L. Int J App Pharm 2015;7:11-4.
16. Molyneux P. The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicrylhydrazyl (DPPH) for the antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2004;26:211-9.
17. Duan XJ, Zhang WW, Li XM, Wang BG. Evaluation of antioxidant property of extract and fractions obtained from a red alga, Polysiphonia urceolata. Food chem 2006;95:37-43.
18. Kalpana S, Vijai D, Premalatha S. Antioxidant activity of different solvent extracts of Barleria longiflora Linn. Int J Curr Res Biol Med 2016;1:1-8.
19. Halliwell B. Reactive oxygen species in living systems: Source, biochemistry and role in human disease. Am J Med 1991;91:14-22.
20. Devi KP, Suganthy N, Kesika P, Pandian SK. Bioprotective properties of seaweeds: In vitro evaluation of antioxidant activity and antimicrobial activity against food borne bacteria in relation to polyphenolic content. BMC Complement Altern Med 2008;8:1-11.
21. Yadav SA, Raj AJ, Sathishkumar R. In vitro antioxidant activity of Barleria noctiflora L. f. Asain Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;S716-22.
22. Mohan VR, Ruba AA. In vitro antioxidant potential of whole plant of Andrographis echiodies [L] nees (Acanthaceae). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:70-5.
23. Soler-Rivas C, Espin JC, Wichers HJ. An easy and fast test to compare total free radical scavenger capacity of foodstuffs. Phytochem Anal 2000;11:330-8.
24. Sujatha S, Sekar T. Free radical scavening activity leaf extract of Litsea laevigata gamble. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:96-103.
25. Li YF, Guo C, Yang J, Wei J, Xu J, Cheng S. Evaluation of antioxidant properties of pomegranate peel extract in comparison with pomegranate pulp extract. Food Chem 2006;96:254-60.
26. Yen GH, Chen HY. Antioxidant activity of vatious tea extract in relation to their antimutagenicity. J Agric Food Chem 1995;43:27-32.
27. Ranade R, Jain A, Joshi N. Estimation of phenolic compunds by RP-HPLC and antioxidant activity in leaf and stem extracts of Barleria prionitis L. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:2445-57.
28. Chanda S, Dave R. In vitro models for antioxidant activity evaluation and some medicianal plants possessing antioxidant properties: An overview. Afr J Microbiol Res 2009;3:981-96.
29. Cheta C, Suraj M, Maheswari C, Rahul A, Priyanka P. Screening of antioxidant activity and phenolic content of whole plant of Barleria prionitis Linn. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:1313-9.
30. Jayanthi P, Lalitha P. Reducing power of the solvent extarcts of Eichhornia crassipes [MART] solms. Int J Pharm Sci 2011;3:126-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.