OBESITY AS A COMMON COMORBIDITY IN PATIENTS WITH DIABETES: OCCURRENCE BASED ON EATING HABITS AND OTHER DETERMINANTS IN WEST JAVA, INDONESIA
Objective: The prevalence of obesity in individuals with diabetes mellitus (DM) is fairly high. It has been shown that obesity worsens insulin resistance and can elevate the risk for complications of diabetes. Therefore, this study aimed to assess the prevalence of obesity and to determine the factors that affect obesity in adults with DM.
Methods: This study used a cross-sectional design and included secondary data from the “Cohort Study of Risk Factors for Non-communicable Diseases.” The study was conducted on adults with DM at Kebon Kelapa Village, West Java, in 2017, and the total sample obtained for analysis was 112 respondents.
Results: In this study, 62.5% of adults with DM were overweight or obese (body mass index ≥25 kg/m2). Factors found to influence the incidence of obesity in adults with DM were sex and macronutrient intakes, namely, “over” energy intake, “over” carbohydrate intake, “over” fat intake, and “normal” protein intake. Risk of obesity was 3.15-fold higher in female than male participants with diabetes. The highest risk for increased obesity level in adults with diabetes was found in those with “over” fat intake (odds ratio, 8.33).
Conclusions: In adults with diabetes, the incidence of obesity is a trigger of complications. Therefore, to improve the quality of life of individuals with diabetes, attention must be given to managing their weight.
2. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. 8th ed. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation; 2017. Available from: http://www.diabetesatlas.org/resources/2017-atlas.html.
3. Eckel RH, Kahn SE, Ferrannini E, Goldfine AB, Nathan DM, Schwartz MW, et al. Obesity and Type 2 diabetes: What can be unified and what needs to be individualized? Diabetes Care 2011;34:1424-30.
4. Sapkota NK, Swain KC. Obesity, Type-2 diabetes mellitus and its management. Innov J Health Sci 2016;5:17-20.
5. Bramante CT, Lee CJ, Gudzune KA. Treatment of obesity in patients with diabetes. Diabetes Spectr 2017;30:237-43.
6. Wilding JP. The importance of weight management in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Clin Pract 2014;68:682-91.
7. World Health Organization. Diabetes Fakta Dan Angka [Diabetes Facts and Numbers]. Epidemiological Situation; 2015. p. 2. Available from: http://www.who.int/leishmaniasis/burden/en.
8. Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia. Pedoman Praktis Memantau Status Gizi Orang Dewasa [Practical Guidelines for Monitoring Adult Nutritional Status]. Indonesia: Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia; 2011. p. 7.
9. World Health Organization. Global Physical Activity questionnaire: GPAQ Version 2.0. Dep Chronic Dis Heal Promot; 2009. Available from: http://www.who.int/chp/steps/GPAQ_EN.pdf?ua=1.
10. Soegondo S, Soewondo P, Subekti I. Penatalaksanaan Diabetes Melitus Terpadu [Integrated Diabetes Mellitus Management] : Panduan Penatalaksanaan Diabetes Melitus Bagi Dokter dan Edukator. Jakarta: Balai Penerbitan FKUI; 2011. p. 346.
11. PERKENI. Konsensus Pengelolaan dan Pencegahan Diabetes Melitus Type 2 di Indonesia 2015 [Consensus on the Management and Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Indonesia 2015]. Indonesia: PB PERKENI; 2015. p. 82.
12. Gibson RS. Principles of Nutritional Assessment. 2nd ed. US, Europe: Oxford University Press; 2005. p. 907.
13. Al-Sharafi BA, Gunaid AA. Prevalence of obesity in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Yemen. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2014;12:1-5.
14. Al-Goblan AS, Al-Alfi MA, Khan MZ. Mechanism linking diabetes mellitus and obesity. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2014;7:587-91.
15. Onwubuya EI, Ukibe NR, Kalu OA, Emelumadu OF, Monago IN,Ukibe SN. Prevalence of overweight and obesity and assessment of lipid profile and fasting blood glucose levels among female premedical students at Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi Campus, Nigeria. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:481-6.
16. Van Gaal L, Scheen A. Weight management in Type 2 diabetes: Current and emerging approaches to treatment. Diabetes Care 2015;38:1161-72.
17. Jacob AN, Salinas K, Adams-Huet B, Raskin P. Weight gain in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007;9:386-93.
18. Meyer MR, Clegg DJ, Prossnitz ER, Barton M. Obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes: Sex differences and role of oestrogen receptors. Acta Physiol(Oxf) 2011;203:259-69.
19. Kautzky-Willer A, Harreiter J, Pacini G. Sex and gender differences in risk, pathophysiology and complications of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Endocr Rev 2016;37:278-316.
20. Romieu I, Dossus L, Barquera S, Blottière HM, Franks PW, Gunter M, et al. Energy balance and obesity: What are the main drivers? Cancer Causes Control 2017;28:247-58.
21. Khemka VK, Banerjee A. Metabolic risk factors in obesity and diabetes mellitus: Implications in the pathogenesis and therapy. Integr Obes Diabetes 2017;3:1-4.
22. Keller U. Dietary proteins in obesity and in diabetes. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2011;81:125-33.
23. Drummen M, Tischmann L, Gatta-Cherifi B, Adam T, Westerterp- Plantenga M. Dietary protein and energy balance in relation to obesity and co-morbidities. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2018;9:1-13.
24. Sartorius K, Sartorius B, Madiba TE, Stefan C. Does high-carbohydrate intake lead to increased risk of obesity ? A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open 2018;8:1-9.
25. Ma Y, Olendzki B, Chiriboga D, Hebert JR, Li Y, Li W, et al. Association between dietary carbohydrates and body weight. Am J Epidemiol 2005;161:359-67.
26. Malik VS, Schulze MB, Hu FB. Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: A systematic review. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:274-88.
27. Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia. Riset Kesehatan Dasar (National Health Survey) 2013. Indonesia: Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia; 2013. p. 1-303.
28. Sudargo T, Sari FT, Naomi ND. The correlation of obesity, smoking, fried foods consumption pattern and food intake with lipid profile in civil servant in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Int J Community Med Public Health 2017;4:690-7.
29. Lee CY. The effect of high-fat diet-induced pathophysiological changes in the gut on obesity: What should be the ideal treatment. Clin Transl Gastroenterol 2013;4:e39-8.
30. Jung CH, Choi KM. Impact of high-carbohydrate diet on metabolic parameters in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Nutrients 2017;9:1-20.
31. Kesh SB, Sarkar D, Manna K. High-fat diet-induced oxidative stress and its impact on metabolic syndrome: A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:47-52.
32. American Diabetes Association. 6. Obesity management for the treatment of Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2016;39:S47-51.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.