BIOGENESIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES FROM AGRO-WASTE
Objective: Biogenesis of multifunctional silver nanoparticles (SNPs) using agro-wastes (paddy straw [PS] and sugarcane bagasse [SB]) was reported in this study that could be deployed for biomedical and environmental applications.
Methods: The SNPs were synthesized using agro-waste extracts and the synthesized SNPs were characterized by ultraviolet (UV)–visible spectrophotometry, scanning electron microscopy, Fourier-transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy, and energy dispersion spectral (EDS) analysis and evaluated for their multifunctional applications.
Results: UV–visible absorption scan of SNP revealed a broad peak at 420 nm indicative of the surface plasmon resonance using 10 mM silver nitrate with the reaction time of 24 h for PS SNP and 10 min for SB SNP. The synthesized SNPs were of size ranges from 50 to 70 nm. The SNPs were investigated to evaluate the antimicrobial activity against pathogens, efficacy in sewage water treatment and in biofilm inhibition.
Conclusion: This study has demonstrated the eco-friendly synthesis of SNPs using the agro-wastes. The synthesized NPs displayed remarkable antimicrobial activity, biofilm inhibition, and in sewage water treatment. These activities have shown that these NPs can find useful biomedical and environmental applications.
2. Li S, Qui L, Shen Y, Xie A, Yu X, Zhang L, et al. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Capsicum annum L. Extract. Green Chem 2007;9:852-58.
3. Kalifawi EJ. Green synthesis of magnetite iron oxide nanoparticles by using Al-abbas’s (A.S) hund fruit (Citrus medica) var. sarcodactylis Swingle extract and used in Al-Alqami river water treatment. J Nat Sci Res 2015;5:125-35.
4. Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Paulkumar K, Vanaja M, Gnanajobitha G, Annadurai G. Algae mediated green fabrication of silver nanoparticles and examination of its antifungal activity against clinical pathogens. Int J Metals 2014;1:1-8.
5. Dhanasekaran S, Karunakaran S, Amutha R, Priyadharshini SS, Jayalakshmi K. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Acorus calamus and its antibacteral activity. Int J Nanomater Biostruct 2014;4:16-20.
6. Singh K, Panghal M, Kadyan S, Chaudary U, Yadav PJ. Antibacterial activity of synthesized silver nanoparticles from Tinospora cordifolia against multi drug resistant strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from burn patients. J Nanomedecine Nanotechnol 2014;5:1-6.
7. Nadia KG, Howida KT, Mansoura ZI, Hemat MM. Silver nanoparticles: Effect on antimicrobial and antifungal activity of new heterocycles. Bull Korean Chem Soc 2010;31:3530-38.
8. Sarker SD, Nahar L, Kumarasamy Y. Microtitre plate-based antibacterial assay incorporating resazurin as an indicator of cell growth, and its application in the in vitro antibacterial screening of phytochemicals. Methods 2007;42:321-24.
9. Sambanthamoorthy K, Feng X, Patel R, Patel S, Paranavitana C. Antimicrobial and antibiofilm potential of biosurfactants isolated from lactobacilli against multi-drug-resistant pathogens. BMC Microbiol 2014;14:1-9.
10. Nanda A, Saravanan M. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from Staphylococcus aureus and its antimicrobial activity against MRSA and MRSE. Nanomedicine 2009;5:452-56.
11. Gurunathan S, Kalishwaralal K, Vaidyanathan R, Venkataraman D, Pandian SR, Muniyandi J, et al. Biosynthesis, purification and characterization of silver nanoparticles using Escherichia coli. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2009;74:328-35.
12. Seshadri S, Prakash A, Kowshik M. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by marine bacterium Idiomarina sp. PR58-8. Bull Mater Sci 2012;35:1201-05.
13. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Rapid synthesis of Au, Ag, and bimetallic au core Ag shell nanoparticles using neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf broth. J Colloid Interface Sci 2004;275:496-02.
14. Kanchana R, Zantye P. Plant-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles with diverse applications. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:159-63.
15. Sulaiman GM, Mohammed WH, Marzoog TR, Al-Amiery AA, Kadhum AA, Mohamad AB. Green synthesis, antimicrobial and cytotoxic effects of silver nanoparticles using Eucalyptus chapmaniana leaves extract. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:58-63.
16. Kalishwaralal K, Kanth SB, Pandian SR, Deepak V, Gurunathan S. Silver nanoparticles impede the biofilm formation by Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2010;79:340-44.
17. Saklani V, Jain SV. Microbial synthesis of silver nanoparticles: A review. J Biotechnol Biomat 2012;13:1-3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.