CHARACTERS, DETERMINANTS, AND ASSOCIATION BETWEEN CHRONIC ANEMIA AND ATRIAL FIBRILLATION: CASE–CONTROL STUDY
Objective: The objective of this study was carried out to study the characters, determinants of anemia among atrial fibrillation (AF) patients and to estimate the link between chronic anemia and AF.
Methods: This is a case–control study, administrated in Al-Hussein Teaching Hospital among admitted patients in the cardiac care unit from 1st week of January 2018 to the last week of April 2019. A random sample of 100 patients was included in the study based cut of time, where a special form of inquiry sheet was constructed to gather data and it was reviewed and revised by matter experts for testing the validity and enrichment of it. Both cases of AF and control with sinus rhythm were divided into anemic and non-anemic, anemia is defined as hemoglobin <13 and <12 in male and female, respectively. A Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) version (25) was used for data analysis. Descriptive statistics Chi-square Fischer exact test, and ANOVA tests of significance, correlation and logistic regression analysis had been estimated where p<0.05 was set as statistically significant.
Results: A total of 100 individuals had been included in the study, 50 cases with AF and 50 control with mean of age was 62.74003±13.424 years 58 females with 42 males, total non-anemic was 57 while total anemic was 43, 74.4% of AF cases was anemic while 25.6% of control group was anemic, there was statistically significant difference between cases and control according to the presence and absence of anemia where p<0.05.
Conclusion: The first study done in the region to prove the direct relation of anemia on incident AF, thus in conclusion, chronic anemia had a relation with AF.
2. Ferrari R, Bertini M, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Dobrev D, Kirchhof P, Pappone C, et al. An update on atrial fibrillation in 2014: From pathophysiology to treatment. Int J Cardiol 2016;203:22-9.
3. Nikolaos K, Konstantinos PL, Konstantinos V, Georgopoulos S, Bakalakos A, Efremidis M, et al. Managing atrial fibrillation in the very elderly patient: Challenges and solutions. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2015;11:555-62.
4. Mou L, Norby FL, Chen LY, O’Neal WT, Lewis TT, Loehr LR, et al. Lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation by race and socioeconomic status: ARIC (atherosclerosis risk in communities). Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2018;11:e006350.
5. Boriani G. Atrial fibrillation and aging: Risky mutual relationships. Chest 2016;149:301-2.
6. Ko D, Rahman F, Schnabel RB, Yin X, Benjamin EJ, Christophersen IE, et al. Atrial fibrillation in women: Epidemiology, pathophysiology, presentation, and prognosis. Nat Rev Cardiol 2016;13:321-32.
7. Van Gelder IC, Hobbelt AH, Brügemann J, Rienstra M. Time to implement fitness and reduction of fatness in atrial fibrillation therapy. Europace 2017;19:513-4.
8. Camille L, Ioanna T, Karel GM, Sweeting M, Boer J, Johnson L, et al. Separate and combined associations of obesity and metabolic health with coronary heart disease: A pan-European case-cohort analysis. Eur Heart J 2018;39:397-406.
9. Axel B, Marcelle DS, Bao ON, Rienstra M, Van Gelder IC. Risk factor management in atrial fibrillation. Arrhythm Electrophysiol Rev 2018;7:118-27.
10. Ali AN, Athavale NV, Abdelhafiz AH. Anemia: An independent predictor of adverse outcomes in older patients with atrial fibrillation. J Atr Fibrillation 2016;8:1366.
11. Wijesurendra RS, Liu A, Eichhorn C, Ariga R, Levelt E, Clarke WT, et al. Lone atrial fibrillation is associated with impaired left ventricular energetics that persists despite successful catheter ablation. Circulation 2016;134:1068-81.
12. Lawrence TG, Stanley LS. Evaluation and management of anemia in the elderly. Am J Hematol 2014;89:88-96.
13. Mozos I. Mechanisms linking red blood cell disorders and cardiovascular diseases. Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:682054.
14. Lee WH, Hsu PC, Chu CY, Lee HH, Lee MK, Lee CS, et al. Anemia as an independent predictor of adverse cardiac outcomes in patients with atrial fibrillation. Int J Med Sci 2015;12:618-24.
15. Westenbrink BD, Alings M, Granger CB, Alexander JH, Lopes RD, Hylek EM, et al. Anemia is associated with bleeding and mortality, but not stroke, in patients with atrial fibrillation: Insights from the apixaban for reduction in stroke and other thromboembolic events in atrial fibrillation (Aristotle) trial. Am Heart J 2017;185:140-9.
16. Carlos AM, Amitava B, Pablo P, Wood D, Jouven X. Atrial fibrillation: The current epidemic. J Geriatr Cardiol 2017;14:195-203.
17. Xu D, Murakoshi N, Sairenchi T, Irie F, Igarashi M, Nogami A, et al. Anemia and reduced kidney function as risk factors for new onset of atrial fibrillation(from the Ibaraki prefectural health study). Am J Cardiol 2015;115:328-33.
18. Sarah EN, Gautam RS, Shuling L, Herzog CA. Impact of chronic kidney disease on risk of incident atrial fibrillation and subsequent survival in medicare patients. J Am Heart Assoc 2012;1:e002097.
19. Harsha VG, Nandini K, Bridget ZM, Miller WL. Impact of chronic anemia on the new-onset atrial fibrillation in the elderly: It may not be what we have thought. J Atr Fibrillation 2012;4:515.
20. Migone DA, Poggiali E, Motta I, Minonzio F, Fabio G, Hu C, et al. Anemia in elderly hospitalized patients: Prevalence and clinical impact. Intern Emerg Med 2015;10:581-6.
21. Shamaila B, Muhammad F, Ahsan AA. Anemia in elderly hospitalized patients: Frequency and association with comorbidities. JIIMC 2018;13:194-9.
22. Sahay M, Kalra S, Tiwaskar M, Ghosh S, Badani R, Bantwal G, et al. Indian college of physicians position statement on anemia in metabolic syndrome. J Assoc Physicians India 2017;65:60-73.
23. Floriani C, Feller M, Aubert CE, M’Rabet-Bensalah K, Collet TH, den Elzen WP, et al. Thyroid dysfunction and anemia: A prospective cohort study and a systemic review. Thyroid 2018;28:575-82.
24. LeFevre ML, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for thyroid dysfunction: U.S. Preventive service task force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 2015;162:641-50.
25. Szczepanek-Parulska E, Hernik A, Ruchala M. Anemia in thyroid disease. Pol Arch Intern Med 2017;127:352-60.
26. Takabayashi K, Unoki T, Ogawa H, Esato M, Chun YH, Tsuji H, et al. Clinical characteristics of atrial fibrillation patients with anemia: From the Fushimi AF registry. Eur Heart J 2013;34:389.
27. Jessica B, Paula CF, Eliane RW, Zimmermann CE, Sandri YP, Mallet EK, et al. Anemia in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Anemia 2015;2015:354737.
28. Abudulmajeed HA, Methaq AA, Abdulrahman BA, Alomair AM, Alomair AA, Aldossari NA, et al. The relation between diabetes Type II and anemia. Egypt J Hosp Med 2018;70:526-31.
29. Sarin S, Tejinder T, Agrawal BK, Sharma T. An echocardiographic study of cardiac functions in patients with severe anemia. Int J Appl Res 2016;2:233-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.