DEVELOPMENT OF ANALYTICAL METHOD FOR IMATINIB MESYLATE BY ULTRAVIOLET SPECTROSCOPY
Objective: A simple, selective, sensitive, specific, and spectrophotometric method has been developed for the detection of imatinib mesylate in pure form and formulations.
Methods: The analytical condition was optimized for the drug, carried out as per the International Council for Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Pharmaceuticals for Human Use guidelines.
Results: The drug shows absorption at 232.0 nm and obeyed beers law in the wide concentration range from 0.5 to 4.0 μg/ml. The lower limit of detection was found to be 0.331 μg/ml and the limit of quantification to be 1.004 μg/ml. The regression equation was found to be y = 0.08x. The precision of the method was found to be 99.04%±0.527% and the percentage of drug recovered by this method is 100.13%±1.375%.
Conclusion: The method is simple and suitable for determination for imatinib mesylate in pure and pharmaceutical preparation.
2. Bende G, Kollipara S, Sekar V, Saha R. UV-spectrophotometric determination of imatinib mesylate and its application in solubility studies. Pharmazie 2008;63:641-5.
3. Camila T, Pedro LG, Fabio PG, Erika RM, Inês RM. Quantitative determination of nadolol in tablets by high-performance liquid chromatography and UV-derivative spectrophotometry. Anal Lett 2008;41:424-36.
4. Olajire A, Olakunle SI, Olaniyi AA. A new spectrophotometric method for the determination of nadolol. J Iran Chem Soc 2006;3:277-84.
5. Velpandian T, Mathur R, Agarwal NK, Arora B, Kumar L, Gupta SK. Development and validation of a simple liquid chromatographic method with ultraviolet detection for the determination of imatinib in biological samples. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2004;804:431-4.
6. Vijayalakshmi R, Sri RN, Dhanaraju M. Method development for quantification of oxidation complexes of nadolol and resveratrol by visible spectrophotometry. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:304-7.
7. Kuna AK, Kumar KJ. RP-HPLC method development and validation of imatinib mesylate in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:39-44.
8. Amin AS, Ragab GH, Saleh H. Colorimetric determination of beta-blockers in pharmaceutical formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:1347-53.
9. Eugene I. Colorimetric determination of nadolol in Tablets. J Pharm Sci 1978;67:1024-5.
10. Oostendorp RL, Beijnen JH, Schellens JH, Tellingen Ov. Determination of imatinib mesylate and its main metabolite (CGP74588) in human plasma and murine specimens by ion-pairing reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Biomed Chromatogr 2007;21:747-54.
11. Patel BR, Kirschbaum JJ, Poet RB. High-pressure liquid chromatography of nadolol and other beta-adrenergic blocking drugs. J Pharm Sci 1981;70:336-8.
12. Chandana M. Method Development and validation for simultaneous estimation of nadolol and bendroflumethiazide in pharmaceutical dosage form by using RP-HPLC method. J Pharm Sci 2012;4:216-27.
13. Perlman S, Szyper M, Kirschbaum JJ. High-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of nadolol and bendroflumethiazide combination tablet formulations. J Pharm Sci 1984;73:259-61.
14. Ivanovic D, Medenica M, Jancic B, Malenovic A. Reversed-phase liquid chromatography analysis of imatinib mesylate and impurity product in glivec capsules. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2004;800:253-8.
15. Solassol F, Bressolle L, Philibert V, Charasson C, Astre, F. Liquid chromatography-electrospray mass spectrometry determination of imatinib and it’s main metabolite, N-desmethyl- imatinib in human plasma. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2006;29:2957-74.
16. Vivekanand VV, Rao DS, Vaidyanathan G, Sekhar NM, Kelkar SA, Puranik PR. A validated LC method for imatinib mesylate. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;33:879-89.
17. Wahajuddin LN, Singh SP, Jain GK. Determination of lumefantrine in rat plasma by liquid-liquid extraction using LC-MS/MS with electrospray ionization: Assay development, validation and application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 2009;877:1133-9.
18. Vivek R, Jose S. Development, evaluation and targeting of imatinib mesylate loaded solid lipid nanoparticles to the lymphatic system. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2018;9:2359-68.
19. European Medicines Agency. ICH Harmonized-Tripartite Guidelines, Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1); 2005.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.