VAGINAL AND ORAL MISOPROSTOL FOLLOWING MIFEPRISTONE ADMINISTRATION IN MEDICAL TERMINATION OF PREGNANCY UP TO 49 DAYS: A COMPARATIVE STUDY
Objective: The objective of this study was to compare and evaluate the efficacy, safety, adverse effects, and patient compliance of vaginal versus oral misoprostol in medical termination of pregnancy after tablet misoprostol up to 49 days of gestation.
Methods: A comparative study of 100 patients divided randomly assigned to two control groups.
Results: The study showed that 200 mg mifepristone followed by 800 mcg vaginal misoprostol is more effective for medical termination in gestational age up to 49 days as compared to 200 mg mifepristone followed by 400 mcg oral misoprostol.
Conclusion: While both routes of administration are safe, gastrointestinal side effects are more with oral misoprostol. The vaginal route is more acceptable to the patients enrolled in the study.
2. DeHart RM, Morehead MS. Mifepristone. Annu Pharmacother 2001;35:707-15.
3. Riddle JM, Estes JW, Russell JC. Ever since eve: Birth control in the ancient world. Archaeology 1994;47:29-35.
4. World Health Organization. American college of obstetricians and gynaecologists. In: Medical Management of Abortion. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2005.
5. Clark K, Ji H, Feltovich H, Janowski J, Carroll C, Chien EK.Mifepristone-induced cervical ripening: Structural, biomechanical, and molecular events. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2006;194:1391-8.
6. Bartz D, Goldberg A. Medication abortion. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2009;52:140-50.
7. Henshaw RC, Naji SA, Russell IT, Templeton AA. Comparison of medical abortion with surgical vacuum aspirations: Women’s preferences and acceptability of treatment. BMJ 1993;307:714-5.
8. Von Hertzen H, Piaggio G, Wojdyla D, Marions L, My Huong NT, Tang OS, et al. Two mifepristone doses and two intervals of misoprostol administration for termination of early pregnancy: A randomised factorial controlled equivalence trial. BJOG 2009;116:381-9.
9. Kundodyiwa TW, Alfirevic Z, Weeks AD. Low-dose oral misoprostol for induction of labor: A systematic review. Obstet Gynecol 2009;113:374-83.
10. Nithya J, Reddi RP. Comparison of oral and vaginal misoprostol after oral mifepristonein early medical abortion. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2017;6:1007-11.
11. el-Refaey M, Rajasekar D, Abdalla M, Calder L, Templeton A. Induction of abortion with mifepristone (RU 486) and oral or vaginal misoprostol. N Engl J Med 1995;332:983-7.
12. Lokeland M, Iversen OE, Engeland A, Okland I, Bjorge L. Medical abortion with mifepristone and home administration of misoprostol up to 63 days’ gestation. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 2014;93:647-53.
13. Jyothi S, Pallavi MN. Medical abortion by mifepristone with oral versus vaginal misoprostol. J Obstet Gynecol India 2006;56:529-31.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.