SYNTHESIS, MOLLUSCICIDALAND ANTIMICROBIAL POTENTIALITIES OF IRON TRIAD MONONUCLEAR METAL COMPLEXES INCORPORATING TRIDENTATE ASYMMETRICAL SCHIFF BASE LIGANDS CONTAINING SOFT SULFUR COORDINATING ATOM
Objective: This work aimed at synthesizing tridentates asymmetrical Schiff base ligands containing sulfur atom and using them for preparing metal complexes with the iron triad metals. The prepared compounds were assayed in vitro for antimicrobial potential and in vivo molluscicidal activity.
Methods: The unsymmetrical tridentate Schiff bases (SL1, SL2, and SL3) were prepared using 2-aminothiophenol as primary amine and condensed with 2-carboxybenzaldehyde, 2-hydroxy-1-naphthaldehyde, and 7-formyl-8-hydroxyquinoline. These ligands were used in preparing metal complexes with iron triad metals. The synthesized Schiff base ligands and their corresponding metal complexes were characterized and their proposed structures were confirmed using different physical and spectroscopic analytical techniques. All ligands and their corresponding metal complexes were assayed against different bacterial and fungal strains using the agar disk-diffusion technique. The molluscicidal activity was performed according to the standard reported methods as cited in the literature and by observing the toxicity and lethal dose according to the WHO guidelines.
Results: The synthesized ligands behave as tridentate (NOS) ligands and form mononuclear complexes with the general formula [M(SL)2] with an octahedral geometry around the central metal ion. Metal complexes were non-electrolytic in nature. The in vitro antibacterial and antifungal examination results showed weak activity of the ligands, and there was enhanced activity with the complexes. The in vivo molluscicidal activity of the tested compounds showed good activity.
Conclusion: The targeted compounds were prepared successfully, characterized, and showed some biological activity but lower than the standard reference drugs.
2. Zabin SA. Cu(II) and Ni(II) complexes derived from tridentate ligands with N=N and CH=N linkages: Characterization and antimicrobial activity. Albaha Univ J Basic Appl Sci 2017;1:9-18.
3. Imer AG, Syan RH, Gulcan M, Ocak YS, Tomback A. The novel pyridine based symmetrical Schiff base ligand and its transition metal complexes: Synthesis, spectral definitions and application in dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs). J Mater Sci 2018;29:898-905.
4. Al-Obiadi OH. Synthesis, characterization and theoretical treatment of sandwich Schiff bases complexes derived from salicylaldehyde with some transition metals and study of its biological activity. Int J Chem Res 2012;3:1-5.
5. Vairalakshmi M, Princess R. Metal complexes of novel Schiff base containing isatin: Characterization, antimicrobial, antioxidant and catalytic activity study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:206-10.
6. de Fátima Â, Pereira CP, Olímpio CR, de Freitas Oliveira BG, Franco LL, da Silva PH. Schiff bases and their metal complexes as urease inhibitors a brief review. J Adv Res 2018;13:113-26.
7. Abdel-Rahman LH, Abu-Dief AM, Adan MS, Hamdan SK. Some new nano-sized mononuclear Cu(II) Schiff base complexes: Design, characterization, molecular modeling and catalytic potentials in benzyl alcohol oxidation. Catal Lett 2016;46:1373-96.
8. Bastos AM, da Silva JG, Maia PI, Deflon VM, Batista AA, Ferreira AV, et al. Oxovanadium(IV) and (V) complexes of acetylpyridine-derived semicarbazones exhibit insulin-like activity. Polyhedron 2008;27:1787-94.
9. Grivani G, Bruno G, Rudbari HA, Khalaji AD, Pourteimouri P. Synthesis, characterization and crystal structure determination of a new oxovanadium (IV) Schiff base complex: The catalytic activity in the epoxidation of cyclooctene. Inorg Chem Commun 2012;8:15-20.
10. Ejidike IP, Ajibade PA. Synthesis, characterization, anticancer, and antioxidant studies of Ru (III) complexes of monobasic tridentate Schiff bases. Bioinorg Chem Appl 2016;2016:11.
11. Sarkar S, Boceli G, Cantoni A, Ghosh A. Copper (II) complexes of symmetrical and unsymmetrical tetradentate Schiff base ligands incorporating 1-benzoylacetone: Synthesis, crystal structures and electrochemical behavior. Polyhedron 2008;27:693-700.
12. Kolawole GA, Osowole AA. Synthesis and characterization of some metal(II) complexes of isomeric unsymmetrical Schiff bases and their adducts with triphenylphosphine. J Coord Chem 2009;62:1437-48.
13. Khalaji AD, Ghorbani M, Feizi N, Akbari A, Eigner V, Dusek M. A novel trinuclear copper (II) complex containing a symmetric tetradentate N2O2 Schiff base ligand: Synthesis, characterization, crystal structure and its usage as a new precursor for the preparation of CuO particles. Polyhedron 2017;121:9-12.
14. Alzahrani AA, Zabin SA, Jammali M. The bivalent Cu, Ni and Zn complexes of unsymmetrical ONO tridentate Schiff base ligands derived from 2-aminobenzoic acid: Antimicrobial and molluscicidal activity. J Org Inorg Chem 2018;4:1-16.
15. Ejidike IP, Ajibade PA. Transition metal complexes of symmetrical and asymmetrical Schiff bases as antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, and anticancer agents: Progress and prospects. Rev Inorg Chem 2015;35:191-224.
16. Liu X, Manzur C, Novoa N, Celedón S, David CD, Hamon JR. Review: Multidentate unsymmetrically-substituted Schiff bases and their metal complexes: Synthesis, functional materials properties, and applications to catalysis. Coord Chem Rev 2018;357:144-72.
17. Gradinaru J, Forni A, Druta V, Tessore F, Zecchin S, Quici S, et al. Structural, spectral, electric-field-induced second harmonic, and theoretical study of Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II), and VO(II) complexes with [N2O2] unsymmetrical Schiff bases of S-methyl isothiosemicarbazide derivatives. Inorg Chem 2007;46:884-95.
18. Al-Jebouri GS, Noorikhaleel AM. Synthesis of new boron compounds with amoxiciline and some of its metal complexes with use them in antibacterial, assessment of hepatoprotictive and kidneyactivity, anticancer and antioxidant applications. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:1-9.
19. Shafaatian B, Ozbakzaei Z, Notash B, Rezvani SA. Synthesis, characterization, single crystal X-ray determination, fluorescence and electrochemical studies of new dinuclear nickel(II) and oxovanadium(IV) complexes containing double Schiff base ligands. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2015;140:248-55.
20. Kalita M, Bhattacharjee T, Gogoi P, Barman P, Kalita RD, Sarma B, et al. Synthesis, characterization, crystal structure and bioactivities of a new potential tridentate (ONS) Schiff base ligand N-[2-(benzylthio) phenyl] salicylaldimine and its Ni(II), Cu(II) and Co(II) complexes. Polyhedron 2013;60:47-53.
21. Patel VK, Vasanwala AM, Jejurkar CR. Synthesis of mixed Schiff base complexes of Cu(II) and Ni(II) and their spectral, magnetic and antifungal studies. Indian J Chem 1989;28A:719-21.
22. Ismail T. Mononuclear and binuclear Co(II), Ni(II), Cu(II), Zn(II) and Cd(II) complexes of Schiff-base ligands derived from 7-formyl- 8-hydroxyquinoline and diaminonaphthalenes. J Coord Chem 2004;58:141-51.
23. Uddin MN, Chowdhury DA, Islam MT, Hoque F. Evaluation of biological activity of dioxouranium complexes of some Schiff base and dithiocarbamate ligands. Orbital Electron J Chem 2012;4:273-87.
24. Shafaatian B, Mousavi SS, Afshari S. Synthesis, characterization, spectroscopic and theoretical studies of new zinc(II), copper(II) and nickel(II) complexes based on imine ligand containing 2-aminothiophenol moiety. J Mol Struct 2016;1123:191-8.
25. Abdelbaset M, Zabin SA, Alorabi AQ. Synthesis and in vitro biological examination of dioxovanadium (v) mixed- ligand complexes containing 4-amino-5-mercapto-3-phenyl-1,2,4-triazole as primary Ligand and o-aniline derivatives as co-ligands. Int J Biol Pharm Allied Sci 2019;8:672-44.
26. Alzahrani AA, Jammali M, El Mannoubi I, Zabin SA. Molluscicidal and antimicrobial activity of binary mononuclear metal complexes of bidentate azomethine ligands based on anthranilic acid. Int J Biol Pharm Allied Sci 2019;8:319-41.
27. He P, Wang W, Sanogo B, Zeng X, Sun X, Lv Z, et al. Molluscicidal activity and mechanism of toxicity of a novel salicylanilide ester derivative against Biomphalaria species. Parasit Vectors 2017;10:383.
28. El-Sherbini GT, Zayed RA, El-Sherbini ET. Molluscicidal activity of some Solanum species extracts against the snail Biomphalaria alexandrina. J Parasitol Res 2009;2009:5.
29. Salehi M, Rahimifar F, Kubicki M, Asadi A. Structural, spectroscopic, electrochemical and antibacterial studies of some new nickel(II) Schiff base complexes. Inorganica Chim Acta 2016;443:28-35.
30. More G, Raut D, Aruna K, Bootwala S. Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antimicrobial activity evaluation of new tridentate Schiff bases and their Co(II) complexes. J Saudi Chem Soc 2017;21:954-64.
31. Ozkan G, Kose M, Zengin H, McKee V, Kurtoglu M. A new salen-type azo-azomethine ligand and its Ni(II), Cu(II) and Zn(II) complexes: Synthesis, spectral characterization, crystal structure and photoluminescence studies. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2015;150:966-73.
32. Esmadi FT, Khabour OF, Abbas K, Mohammad A, Obeidat RT, Mfady D. Synthesis, characterization and biological activity of some unsymmetrical Schiff base transition metal complexes. Drug Chem Toxicol 2016;39:41-7.
33. Panchal PK, Pansuriya B, Patel MN. In vitro biological evaluation of some ONS and NS donor Schiff bases and their metal complexes. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 2006;21:453-8.
34. Alias M, Kassum H, Shakir C. Synthesis, physical characterization and biological evaluation of Schiff base M(II) complexes. J Assoc Arab Univ Basic Appl Sci 2014;15:28-34.
35. Mahmoud WH, Deghadi RG, Mohamed GG. Spectroscopic and thermal characterization of biologically and anticancer active novel Schiff base metal complexes. Res Chem Intermed 2016;42:7869-907.
36. Al-Najjar N. Preparation and identification of some PVA metal complexes. Iraqi J Sci 2009;50:271-8.
37. Nartop D, Gürkan P, Sari N, Çete S. Tetradentate asymmetric Schiff bases and their Ni(II) and Fe(III) complexes. J Coord Chem 2008;61:3516-24.
38. Asadi M, Hemmateenejad B, Mohammadikish M. Synthesis, characterization, and formation constant of hexa-coordinate iron(III) complexes. J Coord Chem 2010;63:124-35.
39. Jayaseelan P, Prasad S, Vedanayaki S, Rajavel R. Synthesis, characterization, anti-microbial, DNA binding and cleavage studies of Schiff base metal complexes. Arabian J Chem 2016;9:S668-77.
40. Wang Y, Yang Z, Wang B. Synthesis, Characterization and anti-oxidative activity of cobalt(II), nickel(II) and iron(II) Schiff base complexes. Trans Met Chem 2005;30:879-83.
41. Alghool S, Abd El-Halim HF, Dahshan A. Synthesis, spectroscopic thermal and biological activity studies on azo-containing Schiff base dye and its cobalt(II), chromium(III) and strontium(II) complexes. J Mol Struct 2010;983:32-8.
42. Alaghaz AM, Ammar YA, Bayoumi HA, Aldhlmani SA. Synthesis, spectral characterization, thermal analysis, molecular modeling and antimicrobial activity of new potentially N2O2azo-dye Schiff base complexes. J Mol Struct 2014;1074:359-75.
43. Zayed EM, Mohamed GG, Hassan WM, Elkholy AK. Spectroscopic, thermal, biological activity, molecular docking and density functional theoretical investigation of novel bis Schiff base complexes. Appl Organomet Chem 2018;32:e4375.
44. Abou-Hussain AA. Spectroscopic and biological studies of mono or binuclear complexes derived from thio-Schiff bases of some transition metals. J Sulfur Chem 2010;31:427-46.
45. Patel RN, Singh A, Shukla KK Patel DK, Sondhiya VP, Dwivedi S. Synthesis, spectral and structural study of sulfur-containing copper(II) complexes. J Sulfur Chem 2010;31:299-313.
46. Tajudeen SS, Kannappan G. Schiff Base copper(II) complexes: Synthesis, spectral studies and anti-tubercular and antimicrobial activity. Indian J Adv Chem Sci 2016;4:40-8.
47. El-Asmy AA, El-Sonbati AZ, Ba-Issa AA. Synthesis and properties of 7-formyl-8-hydroxyquinoline and its transition metal complexes. Trans Met Chem 1990;15:222-5.
48. Abdel Aziz AA, El-Sayed IS, Khalil MM. Some divalent metal(II) complexes of novel potentially tetradentate Schiff base N,N-bis(2- carboxyphenylimine)-2,5-thiophenedicarboxaldehyde: Synthesis, spectroscopic, characterization and bioactivities. Appl Organomet Chem 2017;31:e3730.
49. Gupta R, Agrawal N, Gupta KC. Synthesis, IR spectral studies and biological activities of some rare earth metal complexes with biochemically relevant ligand. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2012;3:50-6.
50. Al-Amiery A, Kadhum AAH, Mohamad A. Antifungal and antioxidant activities of pyrrolidone thiosemicarbazone complexes. Bioinor Chem Appl 2012;2012:6.
51. Zabin SA, Abdelbaset M. Oxo/dioxo-vanadium (V) complexes with Schiff base ligands derived from 4-amino-5-mercapto-3-phenyl-1, 2, 4-triazole. Eur J Chem 2016;7:322-8.
52. El-Sherif AA, Shoukry MM, Abd-Elgawad MM. Synthesis, characterization, biological activity and equilibrium studies of metal(II) ion complexes with tridentate hydrazone ligand derived from hydralazine. Spectrochimica Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2012;98:307-21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.