MEASUREMENT OF ADJUSTED ISCHEMIA-MODIFIED ALBUMIN MARKER IN EARLY PREGNANCY LOSS
Objective: The objective of the study was to identify the possible association between adjusted ischemia-modified albumin (IMA) marker and early pregnancy loss.
Study Design: This was a case–control study.
Setting: This study was conducted at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Al-Yarmouk Teaching Hospital.
Methods: The study included 90 pregnant women, aged from 18 to 35 years old, attending the outpatient and inpatient clinic with single fetal pregnancy with a gestational age range between 6th and 12th weeks, they were divided into two groups; Group A included 45 cases with single viable fetus – control group. Group B included 45 cases diagnosed as missed miscarriages at time of enrollment – study group. Serum IMA was measured for patients in both groups.
Results: Adjusted IMA levels increased in normal pregnancy, but it was higher in woman with early pregnancy loss. Cutoff 41.2 ng/mL was used to discriminate between normal pregnancy and early pregnancy loss, with a sensitivity 0.77, specificity 0.51, and accuracy 0.64.
Conclusion: IMA and adjusted IMA levels were elevated in women with early pregnancy loss.
2. Keyhan S. Spontaneous abortion and recurrent pregnancy loss etiology, diagnosis, treatment. In: Lobo RA, David M, Lentz G, editors. Comprehensive Gynecology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Inc.; 2017. p. 329-48.
3. Ekechi CI. Spontaneous miscarriage. In: Edmonds DK, editor. Dewhurst’s Textbook of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 9th ed. United States: John Wiley and Sons Ltd; 2018. p. 559-67.
4. Vaghasia KK, Shah ND, Shah PS, Bhatt VM, Shah SC, Rao VM. Karyotypic analysis of chromosomal polymorphism in relation to reproductive failure. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:140-3.
5. Kaviani M, Sepasi S, Azima S, Emamghoreishi M, Asadi N, Haghpanah S. The effect of olive leaf extract ointment on pain intensity and early maternal complication in primiparous women. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:31-4.
6. Caniggia I, Winter J, Lye SJ, Post M. Oxygen and placental development during the first trimester: Implications for the pathophysiology of pre-eclampsia. Placenta 2000;21 Suppl A: S25-30.
7. Jauniaux E, Watson AL, Hempstock J, Bao YP, Skepper JN, Burton GJ. Onset of maternal arterial blood flow and placental oxidative stress. A possible factor in human early pregnancy failure. Am J Pathol 2000;157:2111-22.
8. Roy D, Quiles J, Gaze DC, Collinson P, Kaski JC, Baxter GF. Role of reactive oxygen species on the formation of the novel diagnostic marker ischaemia modified albumin. Heart 2006;92:113-4.
9. Lee E, Eom JE, Jeon KH, Kim TH, Kim E, Jhon GJ, et al. Evaluation of albumin structural modifications through cobalt-albumin binding (CAB) assay. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2014;91:17-23.
10. Bhakthavatsala Reddy C, Cyriac C, Desle HB. Role of “ischemia modified albumin” (IMA) in acute coronary syndromes. Indian Heart J 2014;66:656-62.
11. Wang X, Chen C, Wang L, Chen D, Guang W, French J. Conception, early pregnancy loss, and time to clinical pregnancy: A population-based prospective study. Fertil Steril 2003;79:577-84.
12. Vitzthum VJ, Spielvogel H, Thornburg J, West B. A prospective study of early pregnancy loss in humans. Fertil Steril 2006;86:373-9.
13. Burton GJ, Jauniaux E. Placental oxidative stress: From miscarriage to preeclampsia. J Soc Gynecol Investig 2004;11:342-52.
14. Wong HS, Cheung YK. Sonographic study of the decidua basalis in early pregnancy loss. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2010;36:362-7.
15. Gothe PR, Jose M, Pai VR, Harish S, D’Souza J, Prabhu V. Investigation of the possibility of using serum ischemia modified albumin (IMA) as a novel and early marker of the extent of oxidative stress induced by various tobacco products. J Clin Diagn Res 2015;9:ZC33-5.
16. Kiseli M, Gürsoy AY, Akincioglu E, Ça?lar GS, Çandar T, Demirta? S. The association between ischemia modified albumin and placental histopathology in uncomplicated term deliveries. Placenta 2015;36:1056-8.
17. Oran I, Oran B. Ischemia-modified albumin as a marker of acute coronary syndrome: The case for revising the concept of “N-terminal modification” to “fatty acid occupation» of albumin. Dis Markers 2017;2017:5692583.
18. Cengiz H, Dagdeviren H, Kanawati A, Suzen Çaypinar S, Yesil A, Ekin M, et al. Ischemia-modified albumin as an oxidative stress biomarker in early pregnancy loss. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2016;29:1754-7.
19. Özdemir S, K?y?c? A, Balci O, Göktepe H, Çiçekler H, Çelik Ç. Assessment of ischemia-modified albumin level in patients with recurrent pregnancy loss during the first trimester. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2011;155:209-12.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.