DRUG UTILIZATION STUDY ON ORAL HYPOGLYCEMIC AGENTS IN TYPE 2 DIABETIC PATIENTS OF TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL
Objective: The main objective of the study is to determine the patient demographic characteristics, inspect prescription patterns of oral hypoglycemic agents, distribution of comorbid conditions in the outpatient department (OPD) of Visakha Institute of Medical Sciences (VIMS), Visakhapatnam.
Method: A prospective observational study was conducted in patients with established type 2 diabetes mellitus (n=185) visiting OPD which were interviewed using a structured questionnaire during the period September– December 2019.
Results: Majority of the type 2 diabetic patients in VIMS were treated with double drug therapy. The most commonly prescribed class of oral hypoglycemic agents were biguanides (metformin) followed by sulfonylureas (glimepiride), thiazolidinediones (pioglitazone), alpha-glucosidase inhibitor (voglibose), and dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor (vildagliptin).
2. Pankaj C, Satendra S, Dhananjay P, Kumud R, Rajmangal C, Bhanu P. A prospective study on drug utilization pattern of anti-diabetic drugs in a tertiary care teaching hospital of eastern Uttar Pradesh, India. Int J Res Med Sci 2019;7:669.
3. Tripathi K. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 7th ed. New Delhi: JAYPEE; 2013.
4. DiPiro JT. Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiologic Approach. 9th ed. United States: Content Technologies; 2012.
5. Available from: http://www.En.wikipedia.org.
6. Sultana G, Kapur P, Aqil M, Alam M, Pillai K. Drug utilization of oral hypoglycemic agents in a university teaching hospital in India. J Clin Pharm Ther 2010;35:267-77.
7. Boccuzzi S, Wogen J, Fox J, Sung J, Shah A, Kim J. Utilization of oral hypoglycemic agents in a drug-insured U.S. Population. Diabetes Care 2001;24:1411-5.
8. Mogali S, Bhushan A, Ratnakar J. Drug utilization study and adverse drug reactions of oral anti diabetics among Type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in tertiary care hospital. IJBCP 2019;8:699-703.
9. Khalam A, Dilip C, Shinu C. Drug use evaluation of diabetes mellitus in hospitalized patients of a tertiary care referral hospital. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 2012;23;173-7.
10. Kumar S. A study on drug utilization of oral hypoglycemic agents in Type-2 diabetic patients. Res Gate 2011;4:60-4.
11. Agarwal A, Jadhav P, Deshmukh Y. Prescribing pattern and efficacy of anti-diabetic drugs in maintaining optimal glycemic levels in diabetic patients. J Basic Clin Pharm 2014;5:79.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.