MEMANTINE, AS A P-GLYCOPROTEIN EXPRESSION MODULATOR, ENHANCES LEVETIRACETAM THERAPEUTIC RESPONSE IN EPILEPTIC PATIENTS
Objective: The principal aim of the present study was to assess the importance of multidrug transporter; P-glycoprotein (P-gp) as a potential therapeutic target in patients with epilepsy. Can P-gp transporter expression modulation by memantine add to the standard antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) response?
Methods: A cohort of 56 epilepsy patients was included in a 4 monthly visits prospective study. Patients were on levetiracetam (LEV) 1000 mg/ day alone or combined with other AEDs. They were randomly assigned into two groups; LEV only group including LEV-treated patients and LEV + memantine group including patients on LEV with add-on oral memantine 10 mg/day until the end of the study. During monthly follow-up visits, therapeutic responses were evaluated for each patient by recording the monthly seizures frequency. Blood samples were drawn from every patient twice (on the first and last visits) for assessment of P-gp mRNA expression level.
Results: Fifty patients completed the study. At the end of 4th month, LEV only group showed a non-significant decrease in P-gp expression and seizure frequency compared to the 1st month, whereas, in LEV + memantine group, P-gp expression was significantly reduced and associated with significant seizure control.
Conclusion: Memantine by hindering P-gp overexpression was apt to enhance LEV efficacy and exhibit a better seizure control.
2. Kwan P, Arzimanoglou A, Berg A, Brodie MJ, Allen Hauser W, Mathern G, et al. Definition of drug resistant epilepsy: Consensus proposal by the ad hoc task force of the ILAE commission on therapeutic strategies. Epilepsia 2010;51:1069-77.
3. Tang F, Hartz AM, Bauer B. Drug-resistant epilepsy: Multiple hypotheses, few answers. Front Neurol 2017;8:301.
4. Schiller Y, Najjar Y. Quantifying the response to antiepileptic drugs: Effect of past treatment history. Neurology 2008;70:54-65.
5. Gidal BE. P-glycoprotein expression and pharmacoresistant epilepsy: Cause or consequence? Epilepsy Curr 2014;14:136-8.
6. Potschka H. Modulating P-glycoprotein regulation: Future perspectives for pharmacoresistant epilepsies? Epilepsia 2010;51:1333-47.
7. West CL, Mealey KL. Assessment of antiepileptic drugs as substrates for canine P-glycoprotein. Am J Vet Res 2007;68:1106-10.
8. Bauer B, Hartz AM, Pekcec A, Toellner K, Miller DS, Potschka H. Seizure-induced up-regulation of P-glycoprotein at the blood-brain barrier through glutamate and cyclooxygenase-2 signaling. Mol Pharmacol 2008;73:1444-53.
9. Kambli L, Bhatt LK, Oza M, Prabhavalkar K. Novel therapeutic targets for epilepsy intervention. Seizure 2017;51:27-34.
10. Kumar S. Memantine: Pharmacological properties and clinical uses. Neurol India 2004;52:307-9.
11. Vulliemoz S, Iwanowski P, Landis T, Jallon P. Levetiracetam accumulation in renal failure causing myoclonic encephalopathy with triphasic waves. Seizure 2009;18:376-8.
12. Suresh SH, Chakraborty A, Virupakshaiah A, Kumar N. Efficacy and safety of levetiracetam and carbamazepine as monotherapy in partial seizures. Epilepsy Res Treat 2015;2015:415082.
13. Lancelin F, Franchon E, Kraoul L, Garciau I, Brovedani S, Tabaouti K, et al. Therapeutic drug monitoring of levetiracetam by high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array ultraviolet detection: Preliminary observations on correlation between plasma concentration and clinical response in patients with refractory epilepsy. Ther Drug Monit 2007;29:576-83.
14. Marimuthu P, Varadarajan S, Krishnan M, Shanmugam S, Kunjuraman G, Ravinder JR, et al. Evaluating the efficacy of memantine on improving cognitive functions in epileptic patients receiving anti-epileptic drugs: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial (Phase IIIb pilot study). Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2016;19:344-50.
15. Zafar A, Shahid R, Nazish S, Aljaafari D, Ali Alkhamis F, Alsalman S, et al. Nonadherence to antiepileptic medications: Still a major issue to be addressed in the management of epilepsy. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2019;10:106-12.
16. Peng XX, Tiwari AK, Wu HC, Chen ZS. Overexpression of P-glycoprotein induces acquired resistance to imatinib in chronic myelogenous leukemia cells. Chin J Cancer 2012;31:110-8.
17. Zhang JC, Xie F, Yu XH, Deng ZY, Wang Y, Liang P, et al. Expression levels of P-glycoprotein in peripheral blood CD8+T lymphocytes from HIV-1-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy. Int J Mol Med 2014;33:431-40.
18. Kosztyu P, Dolezel P, Vaclavikova R, Mlejnek P. Can the assessment of ABCB1 gene expression predict its function in vitro? Eur J Haematol 2015;95:150-9.
19. Koubeissi M. Neuropathology of the blood-brain barrier in epilepsy: Support to the transport hypothesis of pharmacoresistance. Epilepsy Curr 2013;13:169-71.
20. Rammes G, Danysz W, Parsons C. Pharmacodynamics of Memantine: An update. Curr Neuropharmacol 2008;6:55-78.
21. Mishra A, Goel RK. Chronic 5-HT3 receptor antagonism ameliorates seizures and associated memory deficit in pentylenetetrazole-kindled mice. Neuroscience 2016;339:319-28.
22. Li D, Yuan H, Ortiz-Gonzalez XR, Marsh ED, Tian L, McCormick EM, et al. GRIN2D recurrent de novo dominant mutation causes a severe epileptic encephalopathy treatable with NMDA receptor channel blockers. Am J Hum Genet 2016;99:802-16.
23. Schauwecker PE. Neuroprotection by glutamate receptor antagonists against seizure-induced excitotoxic cell death in the aging brain. Exp Neurol 2010;224:207-18.
24. Kwan P, Still G, Butler E, Gant T, Meldrum B, Brodie M. Regional expression of multidrug resistance gene in genetically epilepsy-prone rat brain after single ausiogenic sizure. Epilepsia 2002;43:1318-23.
25. Sveinbjornsdottir S, Sander JW, Upton D, Thompson PJ, Patsalos PN, Hirt D, et al. The excitatory amino acid antagonist D-CPP-ene (SDZ EAA-494) in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy Res 1993;16:165-74.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.