CORRELATION BETWEEN BODY MASS INDEX AND MICROALBUMINURIA IN ESSENTIAL HYPERTENSIVE ADULTS
Objective: This study aimed to find the correlation between body mass index (BMI) and microalbuminuria (MA) in essential hypertensive adults.
Methods: This study included 35 essential hypertensive patients in the 18–65 years of age group, who satisfied the inclusion criteria. Arterial blood pressure was measured by a sphygmomanometer and the first voided early morning urine sample was collected for the estimation of microalbumin.
Results: The mean age of the population studied was 49±11.08 in essential hypertensive patients and 46.89±11.10 in the control group. The mean value of BMI in the hypertensive group was found to be 27.59±5.45. In the present study, the mean value of microalbumin in essential hypertensive patients was 20.95±16.96. A significant positive correlation between BMI and MA was observed in the study with p<0.001.
Conclusion: Our study shows a positive correlation between BMI and MA. Therefore, this study will help in the early detection of renal injury and prevents its progression to renal failure by lifestyle and diet modifications.
2. Nayak SR, Jena I, Mishra PK, Behera S, Ray S. Evaluation of serum nitric oxide in essential hypertension and its correlation with severity of disease. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 2:179-82.
3. Aggarwal HK, Jain D, Mor S, Yadav RK, Jain P. Prevalence and clinical correlates of microalbuminuria in patients with essential hypertension-a tertiary care center cross sectional study. J Assoc Physicians India 2018;66:30-4.
4. Jhawat V, Gupta S, Agarwal BK, Roy P, Saini V. Prevalence and risk factors of essential hypertension and new onset of diabetes in essential hypertension in rural population of Haryana. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:142-8.
5. St?pie? M, Wlaze? RN, Paradowski M, Banach M, Rysz M, Misztal M, et al. Serum concentrations of adinopectin, leptin, resistin, ghrelin and insulin and their association with obesity indices in obese normo and hypertensive patients-pilot study. Arch Med Sci 2012;8:431-6.
6. Jiang SZ, Lu W, Zong XF, Ruan HY, Liu Y. Obesity and hypertension (review). Exp Ther Med 2016;12:2395-9.
7. Thoenes M, Reil JC, Khan BV, Bramlage P, Volpe M, Kirch W, et al. Abdominal obesity is associated with microalbuminuria and an elevated cardiovascular risk profile in patients with hypertension. Vasc Health Risk Manage 2009;5:577-85.
8. Papathanasiou G, Zerva E, Zacharis I, Papandreou M, Papageorgiou E, Tzima C, et al. Association of high blood pressure with body mass index, smoking and physical activity in healthy young adults. Open Cardiovasc Med J 2015;9:5-17.
9. Liu X, Liu Y, Chen Y, Li Y, Shao X, Liang Y, et al. Body mass index (BMI) is associated with microalbuminuria in Chinese hypertensive patients. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2015;12:1998-2008.
10. Li Y, Wan Z, Sun Y, Lu W, Yao W, Yu X, et al. Relationship between serum aldosterone and microalbuminuria in patients with essential hypertension. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2016;9:10635-42.
11. Roopa AN, Reddy KS, Chandrashekara P, Umabai KR, Madhuvan HS. Study of microalbuminuria and insulin resistance in patients with essential hypertension and metabolic syndrome and its relationship to target organ damage. J Med Sci Health 2015;1:05-9.
12. Sharma DP, Durgeshwar DK, Suruchi DK, Das DR. Prevalence of microalbuminuria in hypertensive patients in Darbhanga medical college Laheriasarai Darbhanga and hospital. IJMBS 2019;3:42-5.
13. Poudel B, Yadav BK, Nepal AK, Jha B, Raut KB. Prevalence and association of microalbuminuria in essential hypertensive patients. N Am J Med Sci 2012;4:331-5.
14. Akintunde AA, Akinwusi PO, Adebayo RA, Ogunyemi S, Opadijo OG. Burden of obesity in essential hypertension: Pattern and prevalence. Niger J Clin Pract 2010;13:399-402.
15. Nwegbu MM, Akintan AG, Irabor EO. Prevalence of microalbuminuria in newly diagnosed hypertensives in a tertiary hospital setting, using a semi-quantitative screening tool. Int Res J Basic Clin Stud 2016;4:010-3.
16. Khan I, Dars AG, Shah NA, Shah SZ. Essential hypertension; frequency of microalbuminuria in patients with essential hypertension. Prof Med J 2018;25:854-9.
17. Marudhaiveeran GM, Radhakrishnan S, Alphonse F. Prevalence of microalbuminuria among patients with essential hypertension. Trop J Med Res 2014;17:76-80.
18. Kumar HA, Rekha NH, Raghav ED. A study of microalbuminuria in patients with essential hypertension. Int J Contemp Med Res 2016;3:1468-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.