FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF NEW MEDICATED CHEWING FOR THE TREATMENT OF NAUSEA AND VOMITING INDUCED BY CHEMOTHERAPY, RADIATION THERAPY, AND POST-OPERATIVE CONDITIONS IN CANCER
Objective: The objective of the present study was formulation and evaluation of new medicated chewing for the treatment of nausea and vomiting induced by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and post-operative conditions in cancer using ondansetron hydrochloride as drug candidate.
Methods: The medicated chewing gum of ondansetron hydrochloride (OHC) was prepared by direct compression mold method. Four formulations were selected for study which was showing good physicochemical properties and drug release. Formulations were characterized for physical evaluation, weight variation, stickiness, hardness/plasticity, in vitro drug release, estimation of chewing gum consistency and drug release study in saliva.
Results: All the formulations gave satisfactory results in physical evaluation, weight variation, stickiness, and hardness. The formulation medicated chewing gum II (MCG II) showed best in vitro drug release which is 97% in 30 min and it is also more accepted by the people. Drug release in saliva also indicated that more than 50% drug release occurs within 15 min.
Conclusion: Medicated chewing gum is a cost-effective product and also showed better compliance and increase in bioavailability.
2. Paradhkar M, Gajra B, Patel B. Formulation development and evaluation of medicated chewing gum of anti-emetic drug. Saudi Pharm J 2016;24:153-64.
3. Wathore SA, Kale VK. Formulation and evaluation of medicated chewing gum of granisetron. Pharma Innov J 2019;898:283-6.
4. Hamdan H, Zaini S. Effect of nicotine on schizophrenia and antipsychotic medications: A systematic review. Malays J Psychiatry 2018;27:10-25.
5. Al Hagbani T, Altomare C, Salawi A, Nazzal S. D-optimal mixture design: Formulation development, mechanical characterization, and optimization of curcumin chewing gums using oppanol® B 12 elastomer as a gum-base. Int J Pharm 2018;553:210-9.
6. Wessel SW, van der Mei HC, Maitra A, Dodds MW, Busscher HJ. Potential benefits of chewing gum for the delivery of oral therapeutics and its possible role in oral healthcare. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2016;13:1421-31.
7. Aslani A, Ghannadi A, Rostami F. Design, formulation, and evaluation of ginger medicated chewing gum. Adv Biomed Res 2016;5:130.
8. John A, Kumar K, Dinesh KB. Medicated chewing gum: Modern drug delivery system. Univers J Pharm Sci Res 2019;5:29-39.
9. Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use. CPMP List of Allowed Terms for the Pharmaceutical Dosage Form, Route of Administration, Container, Closure and Administration Devices. Brussels, Belgium: Commission of the European Communities; 1991.
10. Dabhi P, Jivani NP. Development and validation of a selective analytical hplc method for the quantification of guaifenesin in guaifenesin medicated chewing gum intended for cough relief. Int J Eng Sci Comput 2019;9:22643-9.
11. Vagada R, Seth AK, Sachin C, Parikh P, Kheini P, Chainesh S, et al. Formulation and evaluation of novel gum based drug delivery system of an antiemetic drug. Int J Pharm Res Technol 2012;2:16-20.
12. Nazzal S, Bratbak G. Medicated chewing gums (MCG’s): Composition production and mechanical testing. AAPS Pharm Sci Technol 2018;2:1-13.
13. Konar N, Sagdic O, Toker OS, Palabiyik I. Chewing gum: Production, quality parameters and opportunities for delivering bioactive compounds. Trends Food Sci Technol 2016;55:29-38.
14. Shaikh A, Agrawal A, Gupta M. Formulation and evaluation of medicated chewing gum of dolasetron as an antiemetic agent. J Drug Deliv Ther 2017;7:125-8.
15. Ondansetron Hydrochloride. Drug Bank. Available from: https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/db00904.
16. Gupta M, Dahiya J, Marwaha RK, Dureja H. Therapies in cancer treatment: An overview. Int J Pharm Pharma Sci 2015;7:1-9.
17. Pramila P, Abraham A, Pawar S, Bafna V, Bansal MS. To study the therapeutic management, drug related problems and concomitant use of drugs in patients with cancer. Int J Pharm Pharma Sci 2017;9:139-44.
18. Simons D, Beighton D, Brailsford R. The effect of medicated chewing gums on oral health in older people: A one year clinical trials. J Am Geriatr Soc 2010;50:1348-53.
19. Mustafa W, Muniz G. The impact of chewing gums of eucalyptus extract: A systematic review. J Breath Res 2017;11:14-20.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.