TRADITIONAL METHOD OF MUNG BEANS (VIGNA RADIATA) PRESERVATION USING PANCHAGAVYA AND ITS EFFECT ON SEED GERMINATION
Objective: Callosobruchus chinensis is a major pest that affects mung bean causing severe damage during storage. The objective of the present study is aimed to evaluate the effect of panchagavya in larvicidal activity on C. chinensis and its seed germination was observed.
Methods: The methods used in this study were followed by observing the people at a remote village in Chittoor district of Andhra Pradesh. This study is about the traditional knowledge of the use of cow urine in panchagavya described in Ayurveda and its application in seed preservation.
Results: The ovicidal activity of panchagavya was remarkably good. The ability of ovicidal (instar) development into an adult beetle was found to be nothing. C. chinensis instar and adult beetle showed 100% mortality when treated with cow urine in small concentrations and good seed germination was observed.
Conclusion: Panchagavya is potentially effective and eco-friendly in controlling beetles in grains storage and its enhanced seed germination.
2. Sugha SK. Antifungal potential of panchagavya. Plant Dis Res Ludhiana 2005;20:156-8.
3. Pathak ML, Kumar A. Cow praising and importance of panchyagavya as medicine. Sachitra Ayurveda 2003;5:56-9.
4. Chauhan R, Singh BP, Singhal LK. Immunomodulation with Kamdhenu Ark in mice. J Immunol Immunopathol 2001;71:89-92.
5. Dharma K, Chauhan RS, Simmi T. Panchgavya (cowpathy): An overview. Int J Cow Sci 2005;1:1-15.
6. Chauhan JS, Tomar YK, Singh NI, Seema A, Delarati. Effect of growth hormones on seed germination and seedling growth of black gram and horse gram. J Am Sci 2009;5:79-84.
7. Somasundaram E, Amunullah MM. Panchagavya on organic growth and production of crops: A review. Green Farm 2007;1:22-5.
8. Henig-Severa N, Eshelb A, Ne’emana G. Regulation of the germination of Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis) by nitrate, ammonium, and gibberellin, and its role in post-fire forest regeneration. Physiol Plant 2000;108:390-39.
9. Bhatnagar RS. Neem cake in disease control. Indian J Plant Pathol 1993;23:186-8.
10. Saritha M. Influence of selected organic manures on the seed germination and seedling growth of cluster bean. Sci Technol Arts RCSJ 2013;2:16-21.
11. Srimathi P, Mariappan N, Sundaramoorthy L. Efficacy of panchagavya on seed invigoration of biofuel crops. Acad J 2013;8:2031-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.