AMELIORATIVE EFFECT OF CYPERUS SQUARROSUS (CYPERACEAE) PLANT EXTRACTS ON DIABETIC CARDIOMYOPATHY AGAINST STREPTOZOTOCININDUCED DIABETES IN WISTAR RATS
Objective: Cyperus squarrosus, belongs to the family Cyperaceae, has been claimed to possess antidiabetic activity in the ethnomedicinal literature in India. Therefore, the present study was to investigate the effects of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of C. squarrosus (EECS) on diabetes and its cardiovascular complications with streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats.
Methods: Wister albino rats of either sex were made diabetic with streptozotocin (65 mg/kg, i.v.). Glibenclamide (5 mg/kg) was taken as standard drug. Treatment of aqueous and EECS (aqueous extract of C. squarrosus and EECS) was given in the dose of 200 and 400 mg/kg/day, p.o for 8 weeks and biochemical (serum glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, and high-density lipoprotein [HDL]) parameters were recorded.
Results: Streptozotocin-treated group produced significant increased levels of serum glucose, cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL, creatine kinase-myocardial band (CK-MB), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) levels and all these changes were prevented by the treatment with aqueous and EECS in both doses.
Conclusion: As compare with ethanolic extract treated group, aqueous extract treated group exhibits significant (p<0.001) effect on CK-MB and LDH levels. Our result suggests that aqueous and EECS prevents the streptozotocin-induced metabolic abnormalities as well as cardiovascular complications.
2. Available from: http://www.eatlas.idf.org.
3. Bhattacharya S, Manna P, Gachhui R, Sil PC. D-Saccharic acid 1,4-lactone protects diabetic rat kidney by ameliorating hyperglycemia-mediated oxidative stress and renal inflammatory cytokines via NF-?B and PKC signaling. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2013;267:16-29.
4. Dewanjee S, Das AK, Sahu R, Gangopadhyay M. Antidiabetic activity of Diospyros peregrina fruit: Effect on hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and augmented oxidative stress in experimental Type 2 diabetes. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:2679-85.
5. Jinfan T, Yingke Z, Yanfei L, Yue L, Keji C, Shuzheng L. Roles and mechanisms of herbal medicine for diabetic cardiomyopathy: Current status and perspective. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017;2017:8214541.
6. Babu PV, Sabitha KE, Shyamaladevi CS. Therapeutic effect of green tea extract on oxidative stress in aorta and heart of streptozotocin diabetic rats. Chem Biol Interact 2006;162:114-20.
7. Dallak M, Bashir N, Abbas M, Elassa R, Haidara M, Khalil M, et al. Concomitant down regulation of glycolytic enzymes, upregulation of gluconeogenic enzymes and potential hepato-nephroprotective effects following the chronic administration of hypoglycaemic, insulinotropic Citrullus colocynthis pulp extract. Am J Biochem Biotechnol 2009;5:153-61.
8. Bhandari U, Ansari MN. Ameliorative effect of an ethanol extract of Embelia ribes fruits on isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in diabetic rats. Pharm Biol 2009;47:669-74.
9. Rajasekaran S, Sivagnanam K, Ravi K, Subramanian S. Hypoglycemic effect of Aloe vera gel on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in experimental rats. J Med Food 2004;7:61-6.
10. Das AK, Dewanjee S, Sahu R, Dua TK, Gangopadhyay M, Sinha MK. Protective effect of Corchorus olitorius leaves against arsenic-induced oxidative stress in rat brain. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2010;29:64-9.
11. Pelter A, Ward RS, Rao EV, Raju NR. 8-substituted flavonoids and 3’-substituted 7-oxygenated chalcones from Tephrosia purpurea. J Chem Soc Perkin Trans 1 1981;1:2491-8.
12. Sarkhail P, Rahmanipour S, Fadyevatan S, Mohammadirad A, Dehghan G, Amin G, et al. Antidiabetic effect of Phlomis anisodonta: Effects on hepatic cells lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in experimental diabetes. Pharmacol Res 2007;56:261-6.
13. Naik SR, Barbosa Filho JM, Dhuley JN, Deshmukh V. Probable mechanism of hypoglycemic activity of bassic acid, a natural product isolated from Bumelia sartorum. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;33:37-44.
14. Kamalakkannan N, Prince PS. Antihyperglycaemic and antioxidant effect of rutin, a polyphenolic flavonoid, in streptozotocin-induced diabetic wistar rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2006;98:97-103.
15. Vessal M, Hemmati M, Vasei M. Antidiabetic effects of quercetin in streptozocin-induced diabetic rats. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 2003;135C:357-64.
16. Bhadada SV, Goyal RK. Comparative evaluation of atenolol and metoprolol on cardiovascular complications associated with streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2007;85:831-6.
17. Shamim A, Mahmood T, Mukeem M, Siddiqui HH, Bagga P, Firdaus H, et al. Effect of ethanolic extract of Glycyrizza glabra against streptozotocin and high-fat diet-induced diabetes and hyperlipidemia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:259-66.
18. Devi S, Singh R. Antidiabetic activity of methanolic extract of Nepeta hindostana herb in streptozotocin induced diabetes in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:330-5.
19. Hozayen WG, Abou Seif HS. Protective effects of rutin and hesperidin against doxorubicin-induced lipodystrophy and cardiotoxicity in albino rats. J Am Sci 2011;7:765-75.
20. Matsumoto Y, Kaneko M, Kobayashi A, Fujise Y, Yamazaki N. Creatine kinase kinetics in diabetic cardiomyopathy. Am J Physiol 1995;268:1070-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.