THE ASSOCIATION OF HEMOGLOBIN LEVELS WITH QUALITY OF LIFE AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENT IN WANGAYA REGIONAL GENERAL HOSPITAL, DENPASAR
Objective: Anemia in chronic kidney disease (CKD) contributes in decreasing quality life, but specific hemoglobin associated with quality of life is still in debate. Anemia was thought to be one of contributing factors of low physical activity in CKD, but this finding is inconsistent across studies. This research study aims to investigate the association of hemoglobin levels with quality of life and physical activity in hemodialysis patients in our settings.
Methods: This study was conducted between March 30, 2020, and April 30, 2020, in hemodialysis unit, Wangaya Regional General Hospital, Bali. The study included 50 subjects on regular hemodialysis. Subject-reported quality of life was evaluated by interview, based on Kidney Disease Quality of Life (KDQOL)-36TM questionnaire. Self-reported physical activity level was assessed by International Physical Activity Questionnaires (IPAQ).
Results: Quality of life in burden of kidney disease categories is different significantly between hemoglobin levels group (*p=0.034). There is significant difference between hemoglobin levels < 8 g/dL with 8.1–12 g/dL (**p=0.01) and hemoglobin levels < 8 g/dL with > 12 g/dL (*p=0.034). For self-reported physical activity, hemoglobin level was not associated with physical activity in Fisher’s exact test analysis (p=1.000).
Conclusion: We found that hemoglobin levels > 8 g/dL were associated with higher quality of life in hemodialysis patient. Hemoglobin levels were not associated with physical activity. Recommended hemoglobin levels to support the best quality of life and physical activity without increasing mortality rate are still in need to be further evaluated.
2. Luyckx VA, Tonelli M, Stanifer JW. The global burden of kidney disease and the sustainable development goals. Bull World Health Organ 2018;96:414-22.
3. Kesehatan RI. Situasi Penyakit Ginjal Kronis. Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementrian Kesehatan RI; 2017. Available from: https://www.kemkes. go.id/download.php?file=download/pusdatin/infodatin/infodatin%20 ginjal%202017.pdf. [Last accessed on 2020 Mar 10].
4. Hill NR, Fatoba ST, Oke JL, Hirst JA, O’Callaghan CA, Lasserson DS, et al. Global Prevalence of chronic kidney disease-a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2016;11:e0158765.
5. Wang H, Naghavi M, Allen C, Barber RM, Bhutta ZA, Carter A, et al. Global, regional, and national life expectancy, all-cause mortality, and cause-specific mortality for 249 causes of death, 1980-2015: A systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study 2015. Lancet 2016;388:1459-544.
6. Liyanage T, Ninomiya T, Jha V, Neal B, Patrice HM, Okpechi I, et al. Worldwide access to treatment for end-stage kidney disease: A systematic review. Lancet 2015;385:1975-82.
7. Hudz N, Korytniuk R, Vyshnevska L, Wieczorek PP. Complex technological and biological research of solutions for peritoneal dialysis. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:59.
8. Lubis AA, Nasution A, Rosidah R. Pharmaceautical care improved the quality of life of patient with hemodialysis. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:49-54.
9. Wong MM, Tu C, Li Y, Perlman RL, Pecoits-Filho R, Lopes AA, et al. Anemia and iron deficiency among chronic kidney disease stages 3-5ND patients in the chronic kidney disease outcomes and practice patterns study: Often unmeasured, variably treated. Clin Kidney J 2019;sfz091:1-12.
10. Thomas R, Kanso A, Sedor J. Chronic kidney disease and its complications. Prim Care 2008;35:329-44.
11. Singh AK, Szczech L, Tang KL, Barnhart H, Sapp S, Wolfson M, et al. Correction of anemia with epoetin alfa in chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med 2006;355:2085-98.
12. Cases A, Egocheaga MI, Tranche S, Pallarés V, Ojeda R, Górriz JL, et al. Anemia of chronic kidney disease: Protocol of study, management and referral to nephrology. Nefrol Engl Ed 2018;38:8-12.
13. Hoshino J, Muenz D, Zee J, Sukul N, Speyer E, Guedes M, et al. Associations of hemoglobin levels with health-related quality of life, physical activity, and clinical outcomes in persons with 3-5 nondialysis CKD. J Ren Nutr 2020;S1051-2276(19):30414-5.
14. Tsai YC, Chen HM, Hsiao SM, Chen CS, Lin MY, Chiu YW, et al. Association of physical activity with cardiovascular and renal outcomes and quality of life in chronic kidney disease. PLoS One 2017;12:e0183642.
15. Painter P, Roshanravan B. The association of physical activity and physical function with clinical outcomes in adults with chronic kidney disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2013;22:615-23.
16. Odden MC. Association of chronic kidney disease and anemia with physical capacity: The heart and soul study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2004;15:2908-15.
17. Schnelle J, Osterweil D, Globe D, Sciarra A, Audhya P, Barlev A. Chronic kidney disease, anemia, and the association between chronic kidney disease-related anemia and activities of daily living in older nursing home residents. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2009;10:120-6.
18. Murali R, Sathyanarayana D, Muthusethupathy MA. Assessment of quality of life in chronic kidney disease patients using the kidney disease quality of life-short form tm questionnaire in Indian population: A community based study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:271-4.
19. Thenmozhi P. Quality of life of patients undergoing hemodialysis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:219-23.
20. Tannor EK, Norman BR, Adusei KK, Sarfo FS, Davids MR,Bedu-Addo G. Quality of life among patients with moderate to advanced chronic kidney disease in Ghana-a single centre study. BMC Nephrol 2019;20:122.
21. Ayoub A, Nelson K, Wood P, Hijjazi KH. The relationship between laboratory values and quality of life of dialysis patients in the United Arab Emirates. Ren Soc Australas J 2014;10:12-20.
22. Cruz MC, Andrade C, Urrutia M, Draibe S, Nogueira-Martins LA, de Sesso RC. Quality of life in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin Sao Paulo Braz 2011;66:991-5.
23. Venkateswaramurthy N, Islam MS, Habeeba RC, Sambathkumar R. Assessment of quality of life in dialysis and non-dialysis chronic kidney disease patients. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2019;10:2970-4.
24. Finkelstein FO, Finkelstein SH. The impact of anemia treatment on health-related quality of life in patients with chronic kidney disease in the contemporary era. Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 2019;26:250-2.
25. Supriyadi RF, Gondodiputro RS, Darmawan G. Validity and reliability of the Indonesian version of kidney disease quality of life (KDQOL-36) questionnaire in hemodialysis patients at Hasan Sadikin hospital, Bandung, Indonesia. Acta Med Indones 2019;51:318-23.
26. Sadeghi M, Ebrahimi H, Abbasi M, Norouzadeh R. Relationship between anemia, quality of life, and laboratory indices in hemodialysis patients. Saudi J Kidney Transpl 2016;27:1063-7.
27. Finkelstein FO, Story K, Firanek C, Mendelssohn D, Barre P, Takano T, et al. Health-related quality of life and hemoglobin levels in chronic kidney disease patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009;4:33-8.
28. Jing Z, Wei-Jie Y, Nan Z, Yi Z, Ling W. Hemoglobin targets for chronic kidney disease patients with anemia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One 2012;7:e43655.
29. Gerasimoula K, Lefkothea L, Maria L, Victoria A, Paraskevi T, Maria P. Quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Mater Soc Med 2015;27:305.
30. Seica A, Segall L, Verzan C, Vaduva N, Madincea M, Rusoiu S, et al. Factors affecting the quality of life of haemodialysis patients from Romania: A multicentric study. Nephrol Dial Transpl 2008;24:626-9.
31. Da Rosa CS, Gracia-Marco L, Barker AR, Freitas IF Jr., Monteiro HL. Assessment of physical activity by accelerometer and IPAQ-short version in patients with chronic kidney disease undergoing hemodialysis. Blood Purif 2015;40:250-5.
32. Lou X, He Q. Validity and reliability of the international physical activity questionnaire in Chinese hemodialysis patients: A multicenter study in China. Med Sci Monit 2019;25:9402-8.
33. Gomes EP, Reboredo MM, Carvalho EV, Teixeira DR, D’Ornellas CL, Filho GF, et al. Physical activity in hemodialysis patients measured by triaxial accelerometer. BioMed Res Int 2015;2015:1-7.
34. Yusop NB, Mun CY, Shariff ZM, Huat CB. Factors associated with quality of life among hemodialysis patients in Malaysia. PLoS One 2013;8:e84152.
35. Welk GJ, Mcclain J, Ainsworth BE. Protocols for evaluating equivalency of accelerometry-based activity monitors. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2012;44:S39-49.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.