CURRENT APPLICATION OF VITEX AGNUS-CASTUS L., BASED IN USES MENTIONED BY IBN RUSHD – A REVIEW
This is a specific review of Vitex agnus-castus L. (chasteberry) known as Finjinkest and Shajrat Ibrahim (Abraham’s tree) in Arabic, focusing in the current application: V. agnus-castus is listed among other medicinal plants in the ancient book “Al-Kulliyat Fi A-Tibb,” written by the famous Andulasin Philosopher Ibn Rushd. The focus of the study is to review only the uses mentioned in the book, review up to date literature (e.g., Google Scholar, PubMed, and Scopus) and analyzing the current pharmacological properties in link to the active constituents of the plant. The purpose of the present study is to confirm the uses of V. agnus-castus mentioned by Ibn Rushd with modern scientific and pharmacological research. Ethnopharmacological research confirming the uses mentioned by Ibn Rushd, such as treatment internal organs, liver and spleen, erectile dysfunction, and offspring. The results give further insights into the pharmacological activity of V. agnus-castus and confirm the different uses mentioned by Ibn Rushd.
2. Vassilliadis S. De materia medica versus codex alimentarius for the reinforcement of the gynecologic immune system: The case of endometriosis. Clin Med Insights Womens Health 2013;6:31-5.
3. Csupor D. Phyotherapy: A Textbook for Pharmacy Students. Szeged, Hungary: University of Szeged Press; 2105. p. 148.
4. Rani A, Sharma A. The genus Vitex: A review. Pharmacogn Rev 2013;7:188-98.
5. Rajanna L, Raghavan V, Sharma S. Phytochemical evaluation of Vitex agnus-castus L seeds collected from different geographical regions of the world. Res Rev 2015;4:21-8.
6. Stojkovi? D, Sokovi? M, Glamo?lija J, Džami? A, ?iri? A, Risti? M, et al. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of Vitex agnus-castus L. fruits and leaves essential oils. Food Chem 2011;128:1017-22.
7. Ibrahim NA, Shalaby AS, Farag RS, Elbaroty GS, Nofal SM, Hassan EM, et al. Gynecological efficacy and chemical investigation of Vitex agnus-castus L. fruits growing in Egypt. Nat Prod Res 2008;22:537-46.
8. Hirobe C, Qiao ZS, Takeya K, Itokawa H. Cytotoxic flavonoids from Vitex agnus-castus. Phytochemistry 1997;46:521-4.
9. Goncalves R, Ayres VF, Souza MG, Guimarães AC, Corrêa GM, Martins CH, et al. Chemical composition and antibacterial activity of the essential oil of Vitex agnus-castus L. (Lamiaceae). Ann Acad Bras Ciênc 2017;89:1-9.
10. Schellenberg R. Treatment for the premenstrual syndrome with agnus castus fruit extract: Prospective, randomised, placebo controlled study. BMJ 2001;322:134-7.
11. Roemheld B, Hamm O. Chasteberry. Am Fam Physician 2005;72:821-4.
12. Atmaca M, Kumru S, Tezcan E. Fluoxetine versus Vitex agnus-castus extract in the treatment of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Hum Psychopharmacol 2002;18:191-5.
13. Emad K, Saiah GV, Hasannejad H, Ghaderi A, Ghaderi S, Hamidian G, et al. Antinociceptive effects, acute toxicity and chemical composition of Vitex agnus-castus essential oil. Avicenna J Phytomed 2015;5:218-30.
14. Mahady GB, Dietz B, Engle J. Chasteberry (Vitus agnus-castus). In: Cotes P, Blackman M, Cragg G, Levine M, Moss J, White J, editors. Encyclopedia of Dietary Supplements. New York: Marcel Dekker; 2004. p. 95-101.
15. Vimal A, Lohar V, Singhal S, Anil B. Vitex negundo: A Chinese chaste tree. Int J Pharm Innov 2011;1:9-20.
16. Mazaro-Costa R, Andersen ML, Hachul H, Tufik S. Medicinal plants as alternative treatments for female sexual dysfunction: Utopian vision or possible treatment in climacteric women? J Sex Med 2010;7:3695-714.
17. Haider A, Spellman C, Mok M. Prolactin-secreting microadenoma masked by a herbal product, Vitex agnus-castus. AACE J 2017;3:51-3.
18. Available from: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-supplements-you-asked/you-asked-does-chasteberry-curb-sex-drive.
19. Available from: https://www.my.clevelandclinic.org/health/ diseases/17179-liver-disease.
20. Li L, Duan M, Chen WE, Jiang A, Li X, Yang J, et al. The spleen in liver cirrhosis: Revisiting an old enemy with novel targets. J Transl Med 2017;15:1-10.
21. Pour M, Mirazi N, Seif A. Treatment of liver and spleen illnesses by herbs: Recommendations of Avicenna’s heritage “canon of medicine”. Avicenna J Phytomed 2019;9:101-16.
22. Nasri S, Oryan1 S, Rohani AH, Amin GH, Yahyavi H. The effects of Vitex agnus-castus L. extract on gonadotrophines and testosterone in male mice. Iran Int J Sci 2004;5:25-30.
23. Moreno FN, Campos-Shimada LB, da Costa SC, Garcia RF, Cecchini AL, Natali MR, et al. Vitex agnus-castus L. (Verbenaceae) improves the liver lipid metabolism and redox state of ovariectomized rats. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2015;2015:212378.
24. Ali M, Khan T, Fatima K, Ul Ain Ali Q, Ovais M, Khalil AT, et al. Selected hepatoprotective herbal medicines: Evidence from ethnomedicinal applications, animal models, and possible mechanism of actions. Phytother Res 2018;32:199-215.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.