SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF CEFPIROME IN PHARMACEUTICAL PREPARATION
Objective: A simple, sensitive and precise visible spectrophotometric method has been proposed for the determination of cefpirome (CFM) in pure and oral injectable dosage form.
Methods: A spectrophotometric method is based on the formation of stable red color product by oxidation of drugs by ferric nitrate and subsequent complexation with 1, 10 – phenanthroline with maximum absorption at 515 nm.
Result: The red color complex was formed between Fe (II) and 1, 10 – phenanthroline after reduction of Fe (III) to Fe (II) in the presence of CFM drug. The phosphoric acid solution was used only for quenching the complex formation reaction. Several parameters such as the maximum wavelength of absorption, the volume of reagents, sequence of addition and effect of temperature and time of heating were optimized to achieve high sensitivity, stability and reproducible results. Under the optimum conditions, linear relationship with good correlation coefficient (0.994) was found over the concentration range from 0.20 to 6.00 μg/mL with a molar extinction coefficient 7.7813 × 104 L/mol/cm, limit of detection 0.2026 and limit of quantification 0.6141 μg/mL, respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed method was evaluated statistically for linearity, accuracy, and precision in terms of standard deviation, percentage recovery, percentage error and relative standard deviation. The proposed method can be applied for the routine estimation of CFM in the laboratory.
2. Roos JF, Lipman J, Kirkpatrick CM. Population pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of cefpirome in critically ill patients against gram-negative Bacteria. Intensive Care Med 2007;33:781-8.
3. Hollenstein U, Brunner M, Mayer BX, Delacher S, Erovic B, Eichler HG, et al. Target site concentrations after continuous infusion and bolus injection of cefpirome to healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2000;67:229-36.
4. Joukhadar C, Klein N, Mayer BX, Kreischitz N, Dellekarth G, Palkovits P, et al. Plasma and tissue pharmacokinetics of cefpirome in patients with sepsis. Crit Care Med 2002;30:1478-82.
5. Ali MD, Shamim MD, Alam S, Ali S, Ahmad S, Ansari S. Drug utilization based ADRs detection of antibiotics prescribed for LRTI in a tertiary care teaching hospital, New Delhi. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:7-14.
6. Reynolds JE. Martindale: The Extra Pharmacopoeia. 30thed. London: The Pharmaceutical Press; 1993. p.133.
7. Mayer BX, Hollenstein U, Brunner M, Eichler HG, Muller M. Micellar electro kinetic chromatography for the analysis of cefpirome in microdialysis and plasma samples obtained in vivo from human volunteers. Electrophoresis 2000;21:1558-64.
8. Mrestani Y, El-Mokdad N, Ruttinger HH, Neubert R. Characterization of partitioning behavior of cephalosporins using microemulsion and micellar electro kinetic chromatography. Electrophoresis 2005;19:2895-9.
9. Breilh D, Lavallee C, Fratia A, Ducint D, Cony-Makhoul P. Saux MC. Determination of cefepime and cefpirome in human serum by HPLC using an ultrafiltration for antibiotics serum extraction. J Chromatgr B Biomed Sci Appl 1999;734:121-7.
10. Rasool MD, Gopinath H, Asma SK, Marey P, Rao KS. Stability studies of cefpirome sulphate I.V. with metronidazole I.V. admixture. J Chem Pharm Sci 2012;5:165-72.
11. Evagelou V, Tsantili-Kakoulidoli A, Koupparis M. Determination of the dissociation constant of the cephalosporins cefepime and cefpirome using UV-spectrophotometry and pH-potentiometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;31:1119-28.
12. Sqeed, A, Sultana N, Nawaz M. A RP-HPLC method for the assay of cefpirome and its application in drug metal interaction studies. Pak J Pharm Sci 2006;19:38-43.
13. Oppe TP, Menegola J, Schapoval EE. Microbiological assay for the determination of cefpirome in raw material and injectable preparation. Drug Anal Res 2018;2:29-35.
14. Oppe TP, Menegola J, Schapoval EE. Development and validation of UV-spectrophotometry and liquid chromatography methods for determination of cefpirome in raw material and pharmaceutical dosage. Drug Anal Res 2019;3:42-50.
15. Pavuluri S, Sddiraju S. UPLC method development and validation for the determination of cefpirome sulphate in pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm 2016;6:168-73.
16. Nawaz M, Saeed AM, Sultana N. Simultaneous determination of cefpirome, cefaclor, ceftezidine and cephadrine in pharmaceutical formulations by reverse phase HPLC. Acta Chromatogr 2011;23:205-13.
17. Rao JV, Kumar DA, Rao DM, Nayana T, Silpa D. Spectrophotometric assay of cefpirome sulphate. Ind J Pharm Sci 2005;67:747-8.
18. Hosny MM. Development of simple green spectrophotometric method for determination of cefoperazone sodium and cefepime hydrochloride in bulk, pharmaceutical dosage forms and human urine. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:145-50.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.