FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF HERBAL OIL-BASED ITRACONAZOLE CREAM FOR FUNGAL INFECTION
Objective: The current study was to formulate and to evaluate itraconazole herbal oil-based cream for fungal infection.
Methods: Six herbal oils were used for the formulation of itraconazole creams, namely, mustard oil (MO), olive oil (OO), wheat germ oil (WGO), jojoba oil (JO), tea tree oil (TTO), and combined oil (CO). Creams were formulated by the trituration method. Each herbal oils containing three different formulations of different concentrations of oils.
Results: All the prepared formulation was evaluated successfully. Out of all the formulations from each herbal oils the best two formulations were finalized, that is, MO2 and CO2 which show the greater in vitro diffusion rate among all. Formulation MO2 shows 55.45±0.10% and CO2 showed 59.43±1.18% within 480 min, respectively. Optimized formulations were also compared with the marketed formulation, which results in formulation CO2 as the best formulation among all.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that herbal oil-based cream proved better alternate than oral preparation and improve patient compliance, ease of administration, local bioavailability, and better proves for fungal infected patients.
2. Walsh TJ, Dixon DM, Baron S. Spectrum of mycoses. In: Medicinal Microbiology. 4th ed., Ch. 75. Galveston, TX: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston; 1996.
3. Detandt M, Nolard N. Fungal contamination of the floors of swimming pools, particularly subtropical swimming paradises. Mycoses 1995;38:509-13.
4. Garber G. An overview of fungal infections. Drugs 2001;61:1-12.
5. Márquez M, Camps F. Sertaconazole in the treatment of mycoses: From dermatology to gynecology. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2000;71:S3-20.
6. Meis JF, Verweij PE. Current management of fungal infections. Drugs 2001;61:13-25.
7. Carrillo-Muñoz AJ, Giusiano G, Ezkurra PA. Sertaconazole: Updated review of a topical antifungal agent. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 2005;3:333-42.
8. Weinstein A, Berman B. Topical treatment of common superficial tinea infections. Am Fam Physician 2002;65:2095-102.
9. Kelly BP. Superficial fungal infections. Pediatr Rev 2012;33:e22-37.
10. Nicola Salmon MR, Claire Fuller MA, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Fungal skin infections: Current approaches to management. Drug Rev 2013;26:31-5.
11. Grant SM, Clissold SP. Itraconazole. A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic use in superficial and systemic mycoses. Drugs 1989;37:310-44.
12. Piérard G, Arrese J, Piérard-Franchimont C. Itraconazole. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2000;1:287-304.
13. De Doncker P, Pande S, Richarz U, Garodia N. Itraconazole: What clinicians should know? Indian J Drugs Dermatol 2017;3:4-10.
14. Tsai YC, Tsai TF. Itraconazole in the treatment of nonfungal cutaneous diseases: A review. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb) 2019;9:271-80.
15. Lestner J, Hope WW. Itraconazole: An update on pharmacology and clinical use for treatment of invasive and allergic fungal infections. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2013;9:911-26.
16. Sheth H, Desai S, Patel D, Patel D, Patel P, Patel S, et al. Formulation and evaluation of topical herbal cream for cellulitis. J Pharm Sci Biosci Res 2016;6:584-93.
17. Chen MX, Alexander KS, Baki G. Formulation and evaluation of antibacterial creams and gels containing metal ions for topical application. J Pharm (Cairo) 2016;2016:5754349.
18. Maha HL, Sinaga KM, Masfria M. Formulation and evaluation of miconazole nitrate nanoemulsion and cream. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:319-21.
19. Kasar MP, Kale K, Phadtare GD. Formulation and evaluation of topical antifungal gel containing itraconazole. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:71-4.
20. Maru AD, Lahoti SR. Formulation and evaluation of moisturizing cream containing sunflower wax. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:54-9.
21. Premkumar A, Muthukumaran T, Ganeshan V, Shanmugam R, Lalitha PD. Formulation and evaluation of cream containing antifungal agents, antibacterial agents and corticosteroids. Hygeia J D Med 2014;6:5-16.
22. Sabale V, Kunjwani H, Sabale P. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of the topical antiageing preparation of the fruit of Benincasa hispida. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2011;2:124-8.
23. Debebe D, Gabriel T, Brhane Y, Temesgen A, Nigatu M, Marew T. Comparative in vitro evaluation of brands of clotrimazole cream formulations marketed in Ethiopia. J Drug Deliv Ther 2018;8:17-2.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.