DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES OF EXTRACTION AND ANTIVIRAL ACTIVITIES OF QUERCETIN AGAINST VIRUSES SUCH AS CORONAVIRUS, INFLUENZA VIRUS, EBOLA VIRUS, ZIKA VIRUS, AND OTHER VIRUSES
Quercetin (QCT) is a flavonoid, existed as a pigment in various plants. It is a bioactive compound that has a favorable effect on human health. Our work concerns the selection of different rapid techniques for QCT extraction, published on the different scientific databases, as ultrasound-assisted enzymatic extraction process, supercritical CO2 extraction, microwave-assisted extraction and consists of researching the antiviral activity of QCT and derivatives against viruses such as coronaviruses, influenza virus, human respiratory syncytial virus, Epstein-Barr virus gastric tumor, anti-hepatitis B virus, Zika virus, and Ebola. Following this research, we found that this molecule has a broad-spectrum antiviral activity. Is it effective in controlling this new form of coronavirus, this devastating virus, which currently affects thousands of people?
2. Sankhadip B, Dhrubajyoti S, Abhijit B, Subhash M. Natural flavonoids and its pharmaceutical importance. Pharma Rev 2018;61-75.
3. Tapas A, Sakarkarand D, Kakde RB. Flavonoids as nutraceuticals: A review. Trop J Pharm Res 2008;7:1089-99.
4. Boots AW, Haenen GR, Bast A. Health effects of quercetin: From antioxidant to nutraceutical. Eur J Pharmacol 2008;585:325-37.
5. Zhang M, Swarts SG, Yin L, Liu C, Tian Y, Cao Y, et al. Antioxidant properties of quercetin. Adv Exp Med Biol 2011;701:283-9.
6. Gary W, Shihua H, Vinayakumar S, Yuhai B, Majambu M, Chretien M, et al. Antiviral activity of quercetin-3-?-O-D-glucoside against zika virus infection. Virol Sin 2017;32:545-7.
7. Xiangguo Q, Kroeker A, Shihua H, Kozak R, Jonathan A, Mbikay M, et al. Prophylactic efficacy of quercetin 3--O-D-glucoside against ebola virus infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2016;60:5182-8.
8. Zhikui C, Ge S, Wei G, Yayun H, Weihua S, Fei Z, et al. Inhibition of hepatitis B virus replication by quercetin in human hepatoma cell lines. Virol Sin 2015;30:261-8.
9. Alexander VA, Radhakrishnan A, Subramani P. Overviews of biological importance of quercetin: A bioactive flavonoid. Pharmacogn Rev 2016;10:84-9.
10. Shakya AK. Medicinal plants: Future source of new drugs. Int J Herb Med 2016;59:59-64.
11. Conquer JA, Maiani G, Azzini E, Raguzzini A, Holub BJ. Supplementation with quercetin markedly increases plasma quercetin concentration without effect on selected risk factors for heart disease in healthy subjects. J Nutr 1998;128:593-7.
12. Kumar S, Pandey AK. Chemistry and biological activities of flavonoids: An overview. Sci World J 2013;16:27-50.
13. Egert S, Bosy-Westphal A, Seiberl J, Kürbitz C, Settler U, Plachta- Danielzik S, et al. Quercetin reduces systolic blood pressure and plasma oxidised low-density lipoprotein concentrations in overweight subjects with a high-cardiovascular disease risk phenotype: A double-blinded, placebo-controlled cross-over study. Br J Nutr 2009;102:1065-74.
14. Edwards RL, Lyon T, Litwin SE, Rabovsky A, Symons JD, Jalili T. Quercetin reduces blood pressure in hypertensive subjects. J Nutr 2007;137:2405-11.
15. Zahedi M, Ghiasvand R, Feizi A, Asgari G, Darvish L. Does quercetin improve cardiovascular risk factors and inflammatory biomarkers in women with Type 2 diabetes: A double-blind randomized controlled clinical trial. Int J Prev Med 2013;4:777-85.
16. Hahn S, Pace-Asciak CR, Diamandis EP, Soleas G, Goldberg DM. The red wine phenolics trans-resveratrol and quercetin block human platelet aggregation and eicosanoid synthesis: Implications for protection against coronary heart disease. Clin Chim Acta 1995;235:207-19.
17. Wang L, Lee IM, Zhang SM, Blumberg JB, Buring JE, Sesso HD. Dietary intake of selected flavonols, flavones, and flavonoid-rich foods and risk of cancer in middle-aged and older women. Am J Clin Nutr 2009;89:905-12.
18. Rogerio AP, Sá-Nunes A, Faccioli LH. The activity of medicinal plants and secondary metabolites on eosinophilic inflammation. Pharmacol Res 2010;62:298-307.
19. Hubbard GP, Wolffram S, de Vos R, Bovy A, Gibbins JM, Lovegrove JA. Ingestion of onion soup high in quercetin inhibits platelet aggregation and essential components of the collagen-stimulated platelet activation pathway in man: A pilot study. Br J Nutr 2006;96:482-8.
20. Dabeek WM, Marra MV. Dietary quercetin and kaempferol: Bioavailability and potential cardiovascular-related bioactivity in humans. Nutrients 2019;11:2288.
21. Manach C, Scalbert A, Morand C, Remesy C, Jimenez L. Polyphenols: Food sources and bioavailability. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;79:727-47.
22. Brull V, Burak C, Stoffel-Wagner B, Wolffram S, Nickenig G, Müller C, et al. Effects of a quercetin-rich onion skin extract on 24 h ambulatory blood pressure and endothelial function in overweight-to-obese patients with (pre-)hypertension: A randomised double-blinded placebo-controlled cross-over trial. Br J Nutr 2015;114:1263-77.
23. McAnlis GT, McEneny J, Pearce J, Young IS. Absorption and antioxidant effects of quercetin from onions, in man. Eur J Clin Nutr 1999;53:92-6.
24. Nutrient Data Laboratory Food Composition Laboratory, U.S. Department of Agriculture. USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Food. United States: Nutrient Data Laboratory Food Composition Laboratory, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 2007.
25. Formica JV, Regelson W. Review of the biology of quercetin and related bioflavonoids. Food Chem Toxicol 1995;33:1061-80.
26. Sukanya N, Nandan S. Optimization of ultrasound assisted enzymatic extraction of polyphenols from pomegranate peels based on phytochemical content and antioxidant property. J Food Meas Charact 2018;12:1734-43.
27. Can Q, Carlfors J, Turner C. Carotenoids particle formation by supercritical fluid technologies. Chin J Chem Eng 2009;17:344-9.
28. Bahar S, Akram S, Leila RN, Mehrdad N, Mohammad A. Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of flixweed (Descurainia sophia) seeds extracts: Ranking extraction systems based on fuzzy logic method. Sustain Chem Pharm 2020;16:100-245.
29. Poveda M, Loarce L, Alarcón M, Díaz-Maroto MC, Alañón ME. Revalorization of winery by-products as source of natural preservatives obtained by means of green extraction techniques. Ind Crops Prod 2018;112:617-25.
30. Kim JM, Chang SM, Kim IH, Kim YE, Kim WS. Design of optimal solvent for extraction of bioactive ingredients from mulberry leaves. Biochem Eng J 2007;37:271-78.
31. Palomino OM, Gómez-Serranillos P, Slowing K, Carretero E, Villar A. Study of polyphenols in grape berries by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A 2000;870:449-51.
32. Muñiz-Márquez DB, Wong-Paz JE, Contreras-Esquivel JC, Rodriguez- Herrera R, Aguilar CN. Extraction of phenolic compounds from Coriandrum sativum L. and Amaranthus hybridus L. by microwave technology. In: Polyphenols in Plants: Isolation, Purification and Extract Preparation. 2nd ed. Netherlands: Elsevier; 2019. p. 185-90.
33. Casagrande M, Juliano Z, Wagner A, Cleverson B, Maneck CR. Influence of time, temperature and solvent on the extraction of bioactive compounds of Baccharis dracunculifolia: In vitro antioxidant activity, antimicrobial potential, and phenolic compound quantification. Ind Crops Prod 2018;1251:207-19.
34. Kukula-Koch W, Aligiannis N, Halabalaki M, Skaltsounis AL, Kalpoutzakis E. Influence of extraction procedures on phenolic content and antioxidant activity of Cretan barberry herb. Food Chem 2013;138:406-13.
35. Adam ME, Novy SK, Yeshitila AT, Suryadi I, Yi-Hsu J. Extraction, identification and quantitative HPLC analysis of flavonoids from Sarang Semut (Myrmecodia pendan). Ind Crops Prod 2013;41:392-6.
36. Ranjbari E, Biparva P, Hadjmohammadi MR. Utilization of inverted dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by HPLC-UV as a sensitive and efficient method for the extraction and determination of quercetin in honey and biological samples. Talanta 2012;8930:117-23.
37. Pazhanichamy K, Kunthavai B, Bhuvaneswari K, Aashefa K, Naina M, Kaliaperumal R. Isolation and quantification of flavonoids from ethanol extract of Costus igneus rhizome (CiREE) and impact of CiREE on hypoglycaemic, electron microscopic studies of pancreas in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats. Biomed Prev Nutr 2013;3:285-97.
38. Yingpeng Z, Jiangliu Y, Chunyan J, Jinfeng T, Lei Z, Yan C, et al. Optimization of quercetin extraction method in Dendrobium officinale by response surface methodology. Heliyon 2019;5:2374.
39. Min JK, Chan IC, Sang WC, Myong SC. Subcritical water extraction of flavonol quercetin from onionskin. J Food Eng 2011;102:327-33.
40. Yang Y, Zhang F. Ultrasound-assisted extraction of rutin and quercetin from Euonymus alatus (Thunb.) Sieb. Ultrason Sonochem 2008;15:308-13.
41. Dmitrienko SG, Kudrinskaya VA, Apyari VV. Methods of extraction, preconcentration, and determination of quercetin. J Anal Chem 2012;67:299-311.
42. Niusha S, Shabnam M, Massoud A. Comparison of different methods in quercetin extraction from leaves of Raphanus sativus L. Pharm Sci 2017;23:59-65.
43. Li H, Shang-Ming L, Xiao-Hua Y, Shi-Lin T, Chao-Ke T. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): Current status and future perspective. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020;55:10591.
44. Seri J, Hyojin K, Suwon K, Dong HS, Mi-Sun K. Characteristics of flavonoids as potent MERS-CoV 3C-like protease inhibitors. Chem Biol Drug Des 2019;94:2023-30.
45. Zhang D, Wu K, Zhang X, Deng S, Peng B. In silico screening of Chinese herbal medicines with the potential to directly inhibit 2019 novel coronavirus. J Integr Med 2020;18:152-8.
46. Muhammad TU, Safar MA, Mubarak AA, Chen LL. Structural basis of SARS-CoV-2 3CLpro and anti-COVID-19 drug discovery from medicinal plants. J Pharm Anal 2020;10:313-9.
47. Chiow KH, Phoon MC, Thomas P, Benny KH, Vincent TC. Evaluation of antiviral activities of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. Extract, quercetin, quercetrin and cinanserin on murine coronavirus and dengue virus infection. Asian Pac J 2016;1:1-7.
48. Park HR, Yoon H, Kim MK, Lee SD, Chong Y. Synthesis and antiviral evaluation of 7-o-arylmethylquercetin derivatives against SARS-associated coronavirus (S;CV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV). Arch Pharm Res 2012;35:77-85.
49. Young BR, Hyung JJ, Jang HK, Young MK, Ji-Young P, Doman K, et al. Biflavonoids from Torreya nucifera displaying SARS-CoV 3CLpro inhibition. Bioorg Med Chem 2010;18:7940-47.
50. Chen L, Li J, Cheng L, Liu H, Xu W, Gang C, et al. Binding interaction of quercetin-3-b-galactoside and its synthetic derivatives with SARS-CoV 3CLpro: Structure-activity relationship studies reveal salient pharmacophore features. Bioorg Med Chem 2006;14:8295-306.
51. Lopes BR, da Costa MF, Ribeiro AG, da Silva TF, Alves KT. Quercetin pentaacetate inhibits in vitro human respiratory syncytial virus adhesion. Virus Res 2020;276:197805.
52. Lani R, Pouya H, Chun WC, Moghaddam E, Jang HC, Rausalu K, et al. Antiviral activity of silymarin against chikungunya virus. J Nat Sci Rep 2015;5:11421.
53. Weiss JR, Belachew T, Seth MB. Complementary and integrative treatments upper respiratory infection. Otolaryngol Clin N Am 2013;46:335-44.
54. Santo S, Mehra H, Vanessa L, Trotta V, Young PM, Traini D. Quercetin solid lipid microparticles: A flavonoid for inhalation lung delivery. Eur J Pharm Sci 2013;49:278-85.
55. Serena AH, Henson DA, Melanie DA, Jin F, Nieman DC. Quercetin supplementation and upper respiratory tract infection: A randomized community clinical trial. Pharmacol Res 2010;62:237-42.
56. Shivraj HN, Doo HK, Arti N, Gyun SP, Guoyin K. Probing the effect of quercetin 3-glucoside from Dianthus superbus L against influenza virus infection-in vitro and in silico biochemical and toxicological screening. Food Chem Toxicol 2020;135:110985.
57. Parvaneh M, Ali AM, Fotouhi F, Heidarzadeh M, Abimbola OA, Jacobus NE, et al. Immunomodulatory properties of quercetin-3-O-?- L-rhamnopyranoside from Rapanea melanophloeos against influenza a virus. Complement Alternat Med 2018;18:184.
58. Wenjiao W, Richan L, Xianglian L, Jian H, Shibo J, Shuwen L, et al. Quercetin as an antiviral agent inhibits influenza a virus (IAV) entry. Viruses 2016;8:6.
59. Choi HJ, Song JH, Kwon DH. Quercetin 3-rhamnoside exerts antiinfluenza a virus activity in mice. Phytother Res 2011;26:462-4.
60. Minjung L, Myoungki S, Eunhyun R, Su SY, Gwang KJ, Byung WK, et al. Quercetin-induced apoptosis prevents EBV infection. Oncotarget 2015;6:12603-24.
61. Mariana B, Boivin G. Antiviral agents in development for zika virus infections. Pharmaceuticals 2019;12:101.
62. Roy A, Liangzhong L, Jianxing S. Identification of quercetin from fruits to immediately fight zika (quercetin inhibits zika NS2B-NS3 protease). BioRxiv 2016.
63. Hee-jung L, Nguyen TT, Nahyun MK, Jun-Seong P. Inhibitory effect of flavonoids against NS2B-NS3 protease of ZIKA virus and their structure activity relationship. Biotechnol Lett 2017;39:415-21.
64. Zou M, Hongmiao L, Jingyan L, Xingang Y, Chen Y, Changwen K, et al. Structure-activity relationship of flavonoid bifunctional inhibitors against zika virus infection. Biochem Pharmacol 2020;6:113962.
65. Parvez MK, Al-Dosari MS, Arbab AH, Al-Rehaily AJ, Abdelwahid MA. Bioassay-guided isolation of anti-hepatitis B virus flavonoid myricetin- 3-O-rhamnoside along with quercetin from Guiera senegalensis leaves. Saudi Pharm J 2020;28:550-9.
66. Hwa-Jung C, Jin-Hee K, Choong-Hwan L, Young-Joon A, Jae- Hyoung S, Seung-Hwa B, et al. Antiviral activity of quercetin 7-rhamnoside against porcine epidemic diarrhea virus. Antiviral Res 2009;81:77-81.
67. Maciej J, Schäff CT, Kanitz E, Tuchscherer A, Bruckmaier RM, Wolffram S, et al. Bioavailability of the flavonol quercetin in neonatal calves after oral administration of quercetin aglycone or rutin. J Dairy Sci 2015;98:3906-17.
68. Kasmi Y. In silico study of the inhibitory effects of oleuropein, kaempferol, and quercetin on the VP30 protein from Ebola virus. Int J Innov Appl Stud 2014;8:1566-73.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.