A NOVEL APPROACH IN DESIGNING ENTERIC-COATED ANTIPLATELET DRUG FOR BYPASSING STOMACH AND GASTRIC IRRITATION
Objective: The innovative approach in this investigation is making an enteric-coated acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) for antiplatelet activity using a novel excipient.
Methods: A novel methodology used in making ASA tablets for tackling the stomach irritation of ASA, by including Plantago ovata seed mucilage as a tablet binder. ASA compatibility with P. ovata seed mucilage was judged by differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) studies. All tablets were prosecuted for flow properties, physicochemical constraints, and release.
Results: The enteric-coated tablets established no interface by FTIR and DSC lessons. All the tablets possessed physicochemical constraints. The ASA showed its opposition to discharge in the stomach (2 h) and errand in a basic buffer (within 45 min).
Conclusions: The work revealed that with the help of P. ovata as a tablet binder will resolve the disputes connected to gastric irritation.
2. Adamopoulos AB, Sakizlis GN, Nasothimiou EG, Anastasopoulou I, Anastasakou E, Kotsi P, et al. Do proton pump inhibitors attenuate the effect of aspirin on platelet aggregation? A randomized crossover study. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2009;54:163-8.
3. Moayyedi P, Eikelboom JW, Bosch J, Connolly SJ, Dyal L, Shestakovska O, et al. Safety of proton pump inhibitors based on a large, multi-year, randomized trial of patients receiving rivaroxaban or aspirin. Gastroenterology 2019;157:682-91.
4. Kota BP, Teoh AW, Roufogalis BD. Pharmacology of traditional herbal medicines and their active principles used in the treatment of peptic ulcer, diarrhoea and inflammatory bowel disease. New Adv Basic Clin Gastroenterol 2012;14:297-310.
5. Najafian Y, Hamedi SS, Farshchi MK, Feyzabadi Z. Plantago major in traditional persian medicine and modern phytotherapy: A narrative review. Electron Physician 2018;10:6390.
6. Al-Snafi AE. Arabian medicinal plants possessed gastroprotective effects-plant based review (Part 1). IOSR J Pharm 2018;8:77-95.
7. Ahad HA, Rajesh V, Gupta MV, Lasya DN, Harish N, Khamartaz M. Fabrication and in vitro evaluation of glimepiride Hibiscus esculentus fruit mucilage sustained release matrix tablets. Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:78-83.
8. Sepulveda ES, Saenz C, Aliaga E, Aceituno C. Extraction and characterization of mucilage in Opuntia spp. J Arid Environ 2007;68:534-45.
9. Rodriguez-González S, Martínez-Flores HE, Chávez-Moreno CK, Macías-Rodríguez LI, Zavala-Mendoza E, Garnica-Romo MG, et al. Extraction and characterization of mucilage from wild species of Opuntia. J Food Process Eng 2014;37:285-92.
10. Tirpude RN, Puranik PK. Rabeprazole sodium delayed-release multiparticulates: Effect of enteric coating layers on product performance. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:184.
11. Maraie NK, Alhamdany AT, Mahdi ZH. Application of the new oroslippery technology in the preparation of enteric slippery coated tablet of naproxen. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:198-204.
12. Abdul HA, Kumar CS, Kumar K. Designing and evaluation of diclofenac sodium sustained release matrix tablets using Hibiscus rosa-sinensis leaves mucilage. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;1:29-31.
13. Shatla M, Kerk C, Altan T. Process modeling in machining. Part I: Determination of flow stress data. Int J Mach Tools Manuf 2001;41:1511-34.
14. Hindustan AA, Anuradha CM, Kumar CS, Reddy KK, Jagadeesh KD. Novel approach in formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving tablets of ondansetron hydrochloride. Int J Appl Biol Pharm Technol 2010;1:582-8.
15. Ahad HA, Ravoori S, Buddideti KK, More S, Guddeti S, Patil VK. Fabrication and in vitro evaluation of gliquidone matrix tablets with Abelmoschus esculentus fruit mucilage and povidone combination. Acta Pharm Sci 2011;53:77-87.
16. Jeganathan B, Prakya V. Preparation and evaluation of floating extended release matrix tablet using combination of polymethacrylates and polyethylene oxide polymers. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:584-92.
17. Corá LA, Romeiro FG, Américo MF, Oliveira RB, Baffa O, Stelzer M, et al. Gastrointestinal transit and disintegration of enteric coated magnetic tablets assessed by ac biosusceptometry. Eur J Pharm Sci 2006;27:1-8.
18. An K, Ayyappan T, Raman VR, Vetrichelvan T, Sankar AS, Nagavalli D. RP-HPLC analysis of aspirin and clopidogrel bisulphate in combination. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:597.
19. Islam A, Yasin T, Bano I, Riaz M. Controlled release of aspirin from pH-sensitive chitosan/poly (vinyl alcohol) hydrogel. J Appl Polym Sci 2012;124:4184-92.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.