SCIENTIFIC VALIDATION OF SASTRIC SIDDHA DRUG MANJAL KAMALAI KIYAZHAM AGAINST PARACETAMOL INDUCED HEPATOTOXICITY IN ZEBRA FISH (DANIO RERIO) MODEL
Objective: The objective of this study is to assess the hepatoprotective nature of Siddha formulation manjal noi kudineer (MNK) against Paracetamol induced hepatotoxicity in Zebrafish Danio rerio model.
Methods: Pharmacological studies were carried out in the adult zebra fish model in the category of four groups; each individual group contained ten animals. Groups 1, 2, 3, and 4 were considered as control groups, disease control groups, and drug treated groups at different concentrations, respectively. Histopathological analysis was recorded.
Results: The observed research findings were confirmed that this novel Siddha formulation MNK possess potent hepatoprotective effect at the both dose level of 250 mg/l–500 mg/l against paracetamol induced toxicity in Zebrafish.
Conclusion: Siddha medicinal formulation has been in practice for more than 1000 years. Liver diseases are the highly prevalent one among all the diseases. Although huge drugs are available for liver diseases, there is a need for cost effectiveness drugs without any adverse effect. From the study, it was concluded that the drug MNK has promising hepatoprotective activity in dose-dependent manners and restores the basic liver architecture by means of its rejuvenating potential against paracetamol induced toxicity in Zebrafish model. We can strongly suggest that the Sastric Siddha drug MNK to treat various kinds of liver diseases such as liver cirrhosis and hepatic carcinoma. This research work may be highly beneficial to the people who suffered from various liver diseases if the drug will be given clinically.
2. Kunle O, Uchechukwu N, Leonard M, Anthony O. A review on some medicinal plants with hepatoprotective effects. Pharmacogn Rev 2018;12:186.
3. McGrath P, Li CQ. Zebrafish: A predictive model for assessing drug-induced toxicity. Drug Discov Today 2008;13:394-401.
4. Pillai K. Parambarai Vaidyam. Chennai: Rathina Naiker and Sons; 1982. p. 54.
5. Pramyothin P, Ngamen C, Poungshompoo S, Chaichantipyuth C. Hepatoprotective activity of Phyllanthus amarus Schum. et. Thonn. extract in ethanol treated rats: In vitro and in vivo studies. J Ethnopharmacol 2007;114:169-73.
6. Karuna R, Reddy SS, Baskar R, Saralakumari D. Antioxidant potential of aqueous extract of Phyllanthus amarus in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2009;41:64-7.
7. Araújo RF Jr., Soares LA, da Costa Porto CR, de Aquino RG, Guedes HG, Petrovick PR, et al. Growth inhibitory effects of Phyllanthus niruri extracts in combination with cisplatin on cancer cell lines. World J Gastroenterol 2012;18:4162-8.
8. Rajeshkumar NV, Kuttan R. Phyllanthus amarus extract administration increases the life span of rats with hepatocellular carcinoma. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;73:215-9.
9. Palanivel K, Ramar R, Bupesh G, Stalin A. Hepatoprotective activity of Tribulus terrestris extract against acetaminophen-induced toxicity in a freshwater fish (Oreochromis mossambicus). In vitro cellular and developmental biology. Animal 2011;47:698-706.
10. Sugunavarman T, Jegadeesan G. Hepatoprotective activity of Tribulus terrestris on experimental liver damage mice. Int J Mod Res Rev 2013;1:20-3.
11. Kavitha P, Ramesh R, Bupesh G, Stalin A, Subramanian P. Hepatoprotective activity of Tribulus terrestris extract against acetaminophen-induced toxicity in a freshwater fish (Oreochromis mossambicus). In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2011;47:698-706.
12. Harraz FM, Ghazy NM, Hammoda HM, Nafeaa AA, Abdallah II. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant activities of Tribulus terrestris. J Physiol Pharmacol Adv 5:787-94.
13. Shivakumar S, Shahapurkar A, Kalmath K, Shivakumar B. Antiinflammatory activity of fruits of Cuminum cyminum Linn. Pharm Lett 2010;2:22-4.
14. Rebey IB, Jabri-Karoui I, Hamrouni-Sellami I, Bourgou S, Limam F, Marzouk B. Effect of drought on the biochemical composition and antioxidant activities of cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.) seeds. Ind Crops Prod 2011;36:238-45 .
15. Kode A, Rajagopalan R, Penumathsa SV, Menon VP. Effect of ethanol and thermally oxidized sunflower oil ingestion on phospholipid fatty acid composition of rat liver: Protective role of Cuminum cyminum L. Ann Nutr Metab 2005;49:300-3.
16. Goodarzi S, Tabatabaei MJ, Jafari RM, Shemirani F, Tavakoli S, Mofasseri M, et al. Cuminum cyminum fruits as source of luteolin-7-O-glucoside, potent cytotoxic flavonoid against breast cancer cell lines. J Nat Prod Res 2020;34:1602-6.
17. Bhadoriyal SS, Mandoriyab N. Immunomodulatory effect of Trichosanthes dioica Roxb. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:S985-7.
18. Gupta RK, Swain SR, Sahoo J, Gupta A, Chaudhary S. Hepatoprotective potential of Trichosanthes dioica Roxb in hepatotoxicity induced by simvastatin and its consequences on biochemical and haematological indices. Pharmacogn J 2018;10:720-4.
19. Tanwar M, Sharma A, Swarnkar KP, Singhal M. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity of Trichosanthes dioica roxb. on paracetamol induced toxicity. Int J Pharm Stud Res 2018;10:720-4.
20. Seemaisamy R, Faruck LH, Gattu S, Neelamegam R, Bakshi HA, Ration L, et al. Anti-microbial and anti-cancer activity of Aegle Marmelos and gas chromatography coupled spectrometry analysis of their chemical constituents. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2019;10:373-80.
21. Sumitha P, Thirunalasundari T. Hepatoprotective activity of Aegle marmelos in CCl4 induced toxicity an in-vivo study. J Phytol 2011;3:5-9.
22. Siddique NA, et al. Free radical scavenging and hepatoprotective activity of Aegle marmelos (Linn.) Corr leaves against carbon tetrachloride. Int J Comprehen Pharm 2011 ;???:???.
23. Singh RP, Banerjee S, Rao R. Effect of Aegle marmelos on biotransformation enzyme systems and protection against free-radical-mediated damage in mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 2010 ;???:???.
24. Al-Dosari MS. The effectiveness of ethanolic extract of Amaranthus tricolor L.: A natural hepatoprotective agent. Am J Chin Med 2010;38:1051-64.
25. Jayaprakasam B, Zhang Y, Nair MG. Tumor cell proliferation and cyclooxygenase enzyme inhibitory compounds in Amaranthus tricolor. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:6939-43.
26. Rao KN, Padhy SK, Dinakaran SK, Banji D. Study of pharmacognostic, phytochemical, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Amaranthus tricolor Linn. leaves extract. Iran J Pharm Sci Autumn 2010;6:289-99.
27. Alam S, Krupanidhi K, Rao KR. Evaluation of in-vitro antioxidant activity of Amaranthus tricolor Linn. Asian J Pharmacol Toxicol 2013;1:12-6.
28. Lin SC, Yao CJ, Lin CC. Hepatoprotective activity of Taiwan folk medicine: Eclipta prostrate Linn. against various hepatotoxins induced acute hepatotoxicity. Phytother Res 1996;10:483-90.
29. Manvar D, Mishra M, Kumar S, Pandey VN. Identification and evaluation of anti-hepatitis C virus phytochemicals from Eclipta alba. J Ethnopharmacol 2012;144:545-54.
30. Chaudhary H, Dhuna V, Singh J, Kamboj SS, Seshadri S. Evaluation of hydro-alcoholic extract of Eclipta alba for its anticancer potential: An in vitro study. J Ethnopharmacol 2011;136:363-7.
31. Chen YZ, Chen J, Cao Y, Xu C, Li R, Pan Y, et al. Wedelolactone exhibits anti-fibrotic effects on human hepatic stellate cell line LX-2. Eur J Pharmacol 2013;714:105-11.
32. Rahman MS, Rashid MA. Antimicrobial activity and cytotoxicity of Eclipta prostrata. Orient Pharm Exp Med 2008;8:47-52.
33. Lee MK, Ha NR, Yang H, Sung SH, Kim GH, Kim YC. Antiproliferative activity of triterpenoids from Eclipta prostrate on hepatic stellate cells. Phytomedicine 2008;15:775-80.
34. Mohamed MS, Jaikumar K, Anand S, Saravanan P. Assessment of cytotoxic and immunomodulatory properties of Piper nigrum Linn. (White Pepper) seed extract. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2017;9:64-7.
35. Bai X, Zhang W, Chen W, Zong W, Guo Z, Liu X. Anti-hepatotoxic and antioxidant effects of extracts from Piper nigrum. Afr J Biotechnol 2011;10 :???.
36. Ahmad N, Fazal H, Abbasi BH, Haider B, Muhammad R. Efficient regeneration and antioxidant potential in regenerated tissues of Piper nigrum L. Plant Cell Tiss Organ Cult 2010;102:129-34.
37. Mohamad RH, El-Bastawesy AM, Abdel-Monem MG, Noor AM, Al- Mehdar HA, Sharawy SM, et al. Antioxidant and anticarcinogenic effects of methanolic extract and volatile oil of fennel seeds (Foeniculum vulgare). J Med Food 2011;14:986-1001.
38. Özbek H, U?ra? S, Dülger H, Bayram I, Tuncer T, Oztürk G, et al. Hepatoprotective effect of Foeniculum vulgare essential oil: A carbon-tetrachloride induced liver fibrosis model in rats. Scand J Lab Anim Sci 2004;31: ???.
39. Mansour SA, Heikal TM, Refaie AA, Mossa AT. Antihepatotoxic activity of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.) essential oil against chlorpyrifos-induced liver injury in rats. Glob J Environ Sci Technol 2011; ???:???.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.