VIWITHAN: A STANDARDIZED ASHWAGANDHA EXTRACT AMELIORATES OVALBUMININDUCED AIRWAY-INFLAMMATION AND OXIDATIVE STRESS IN MOUSE MODEL
Objective: Withania somnifera, commonly known as Ashwagandha, Indian ginseng, has been used in Ayurvedic and indigenous medicinal preparations for various disease conditions since long time. In the present study, we investigated the protective effects of Viwithan, a standardized proprietary extract from Ashwagandha roots, against airway-inflammation and oxidative stress modulation in an ovalbumin (OVA)-induced murine model of inflammation.
Methods: Allergic asthma was initiated in BALB/c mice by sensitizing with OVA on days 1 and 14, followed by intranasal challenge with OVA on days 27, 28, and 29. Mice were administered Viwithan (200 and 400 mg/kg) by oral gavage before challenge. Then, mice were evaluated for the presence of airway inflammation, production of allergen-specific cytokine response, lung pathology, and oxidative stress modulation.
Results: The results showed that treatment with Viwithan attenuated OVA-induced lung inflammation in mice. Viwithan significantly attenuated inflammatory cell infiltration into the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid and markedly reduced the levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, interleukin-10, and transforming growth factor-β1 in lung tissues. Viwithan treatment considerably reduced the lung weight in OVA-sensitized mice. Viwithan markedly attenuated the OVA-induced generation of reactive oxygen species in lung tissues.
Conclusion: Together, these results suggested that Viwithan alleviates OVA-induced airway-inflammation and oxidative stress, highlighting the potential of standardized Ashwagandha extract as a useful therapeutic agent for pulmonary fibrosis management.
2. Yuan M, Ge A, Zhu W, Liu YN, Ji NF, Zha WJ, et al. Morin attenuates ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation by modulating oxidative stress-responsive MAPK signaling. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2016;2016:5843672.
3. Anandan C, Nurmatov U, Schayck OC, Sheikh A. Is the prevalence of asthma declining? Systematic review of epidemiological studies. Allergy 2010;65:152-67.
4. Pouliot P, Camateros P, Radzioch D, Lambrecht BN, Olivier M. Protein tyrosine phosphatases regulate asthma development in a murine asthma model. J Immunol 2009;182:1334-40.
5. Qu J, Li Y, Zhong W, Gao P, Hu C. Recent developments in the role of reactive oxygen species in allergic asthma. J Thorac Dis 2017;9:E32-43.
6. Tashkin DP, Wechsler ME. Role of eosinophils in airway inflammation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2018;13:335-49.
7. Yang X, Zhu J, Tung CY, Gardiner G, Wang Q, Chang HC, et al. Lunasin alleviates allergic airway inflammation while increases antigen-specific tregs. PLoS One 2015;10:e0115330.
8. Li S, Miao Z, Tian Y, Wang H, Wang S, He T, et al. Limethason reduces airway inflammation in a murine model of ovalbumin induced chronic asthma without causing side effects. Exp Ther Med 2018;15:2269 76.
9. Kim HP, Lim H, Kwon YS. Therapeutic potential of medicinal plants and their constituents on lung inflammatory disorders. Biomol Ther 2017;25:91-104.
10. Singh N, Bhalla M, Jager P, Gilca M. An overview on ashwagandha: A rasayana (rejuvenator) of Ayurveda. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2011;8:208-13.
11. Jana SN, Charan SM. Health benefits and medicinal potency of Withania somnifera: A review. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2018;48:22-9.
12. Verma SK, Kumar A. Therapeutic uses of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) with a note on withanolides and its pharmacological actions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:1-4.
13. Patel P, Julien JP, Kriz J. Early-stage treatment with Withaferin A reduces levels of misfolded superoxide dismutase 1 and extends lifespan in a mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurotherapeutics 2015;12:217-33.
14. Oh JH, Lee TJ, Park JW, Kwon TK. Withaferin A inhibits iNOS expression and nitric oxide production by Akt inactivation and down-regulating LPS-induced activity of NF-?B in RAW 264.7 cells. Eur J Pharmacol 2008;599:11-7.
15. Piao CH, Bui TT, Song CH, Shin HS, Shon DH, Chai OH. Trigonella foenum-graecum alleviates airway inflammation of allergic asthma in ovalbumin-induced mouse model. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2017;482:1284-8.
16. Ellman CL. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959;82:70 7.
17. Uchio R, Higashi Y, Kohama Y, Kawasaki K, Hirao T, Muroyama K, et al. A hot water extract of turmeric (Curcuma longa) suppresses acute ethanol induced liver injury in mice by inhibiting hepatic oxidative stress and inflammatory cytokine production. J Nutr Sci 2017;6:e3.
18. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979;95:351 8.
19. Navi K, Saxena N, Shah N, Singh R, Manjunath K, Uthayakumar M, et al. Differential activities of the two closely related withanolides, Withaferin A and Withanone: Bioinformatics and experimental evidences. PLoS One 2012;7:e44419.
20. Shruti BP, Nirav JR, Hingorani LL. Safety assessment of Withania somnifera extract standardized for Withaferin A: Acute and sub-acute toxicity study. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2016;7:30-7.
21. Schliebs R, Liebmann A, Bhattacharya SK, Kumar A, Ghosal S, Bigl V. Systemic administration of defined extracts from Withania somnifera (Indian Ginseng) and Shilajit differentially affects cholinergic but not glutamatergic and GABAergic markers in rat brain. Neurochem Int 1997;30:181-90.
22. Grover A, Priyandoko D, Gao R, Shandilya A, Widodo N, Bisaria VS, et al. Withanone binds to mortalin and abrogates mortalin-p53 complex: Computational and experimental evidence. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2012;44:496-504.
23. Koppelman GH. Gene by environment interaction in asthma. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2006;6:103-11.
24. Chen H, Xu X, Teng J, Cheng S, Bunjhoo H, Cao Y, et al. CXCR4 inhibitor attenuates ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation and hyperresponsiveness by inhibiting Th17 and Tc17 cell immune response. Exp Ther Med 2016;11:1865-70.
25. Saglani S, Lloyd CM. Eosinophils in the pathogenesis of paediatric severe asthma. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;14:143-8.
26. Nakagome K, Matsushita S, Nagata M. Neutrophilic inflammation in severe asthma. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2012;158:96-102.
27. Ogawa Y, Duru EA, Ameredes BT. Role of IL-10 in the resolution of airway inflammation. Curr Mol Med 2008;8:437-45.
28. Branchett WJ, Lloyd CM. Regulatory cytokine function in the respiratory tract. Mucosal Immunol 2019;12:589-600.
29. Lu Q. Transforming growth factor-?1 protects against pulmonary artery endothelial cell apoptosis via ALK5. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2008;295:123-33.
30. Thakur S, Viswanadhapalli S, Kopp JB, Shi Q, Barnes JL, Block K, et al. Activation of AMP activated protein kinase prevents TGF-?1–induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition and myofibroblast activation. Am J Pathol 2015;185:2168-80.
31. Yu B, Cai W, Zhang HH, Zhongc YS, Fang J, Zhang WY, et al. Selaginella uncinata flavonoids ameliorated ovalbumin-induced airway inflammation in a rat model of asthma. J Ethnopharmacol 2017;195:71-80.
32. Lee JW, Min JH, Kim MG, Kim SM, Kwon OK, Oh TK, et al. Pistacia weinmannifolia root exerts a protective role in ovalbumin induced lung inflammation in a mouse allergic asthma model. Int J Mol Med 2019;44:2171-80.
33. Sahiner UM, Birben E, Erzurum S, Sackesen C, Kalayci O. Oxidative stress in asthma. World Allergy Organ J 2011;4:151-8.
34. Huang WC, Fang LW, Liou CJ. Phloretin attenuates allergic airway inflammation and oxidative stress in asthmatic mice. Front Immunol 2017;8:582838.
35. Liu YJ, Cao LP, Du JL, Jia R, Wang JH, Xu P, et al. Protective effects of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in precision-cut liver slices in vitro and in vivo in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 2015;169:65-72.
36. Jiang WJ, Luo F, Lu QF, Liu JY, Li PJ, Wang XF, et al. The protective effect of Trillin LPS-induced acute lung injury by the regulations of inflammation and oxidative state. Chem Biol Interact 2016;243:127-34.
37. Mishra LC, Singh BB, Dagenais S. Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha): A review. Altern Med Rev 2000;5:334-46.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.