EVALUATION AND VALIDATION OF STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC METHOD FOR THE USE OF BERBERINE FROM COPTIS TEETA BARK AS ANTI-CANCER PHYTOCHEMICAL
Objective: A new method of analysis using high-performance liquid reverse chromatography (HPLC) to calculate berberine in Coptis teeta bark was created in addition to the validation research.
Methods: Berberine was analyzed with potassium hydrogen phosphate and acetonitrile using the SunFire C18 column at a flow rate of 1.0 ml/min; 5μ (4.6 × 250 mm) was detected at 347 nm.
Results: For precision, selectivity, and linearity, the technique was tested. The quantification of berberine did not conflict with the existence of other chemical components. Between concentrations of 60 and 180 ppm, the calibration curve was linear. The precision ranged from 9.0% to 102.0% and 2% was the relative standard deviation.
Conclusion: Finally, this method of HPLC enhancement is simple, effective and has been used to classify and quantify berberine successfully. This can be useful for the study of different berberine-containing plant extracts and can also be used to measure berberine from formulation to herbal formulation.
2. Mandal M, Misra D, Ghosh NN, Mandal V. Physicochemical and elemental studies of Hydrocotyle javanica Thunb. For standardization as herbal drug. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2017;7:979-86.
3. Hazra AK, Chakraborty B, Mitra A, Sur TK. A rapid HPTLC method to estimate piperine in Ayurvedic formulations. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2019;10:284-54.
4. Abraham A, Samuel S, Mathew L. Phytochemical analysis of Pathyashadangam kwath and its standardization by HPLC and HPTLC. J Ayurveda Integr Med 2020;11:153-8.
5. Bajpay A, Nainwal RC, Singh D. Coptis teeta: A potential endemic and endangered medicinal plant of Eastern Himalayas. J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2019;8:245-8.
6. Payum T. Distribution, ethnobotany, pharmacognosy and phytoconstituents of Coptis teeta wall.: A highly valued and threatened medicinal plant of Eastern Himalayas. Pharmacogn J 2017;9:s28-34.
7. Goswami AK, Gogoi N, Shakya A, Sharma HK. Development and validation of high-performance thin-layer chromatographic method for quantification of berberine in rhizomes of Coptis teeta Wall, an endangered species collected from Arunachal Pradesh, India. J Chromatogr Sci 2019;57:411-7.
8. Latif A, Razique A, Asadullah RS, Zuberi RH. Phytochemical and physico-chemical study of Coptis teeta Wall.: An effective drug of choice in ocular ailments. Eur J Integr Med 2008;1:22-3.
9. Kongkiatpaiboon S, Duangdee N, Prateeptongkum S, Tayana N, Inthakusol W. Simultaneous HPLC analysis of crebanine, dicentrine, stephanine and tetrahydropalmatine in Stephania venosa. Rev Bra Farmacogn 2017;27:691-7.
10. González-González RM, Barragán-Mendoza L, Peraza-Campos AL, Muñiz-Valencia R, Ceballos-Magaña SG, Parra-Delgado H. Validation of an HPLC-DAD method for the determination of plant phenolics. Rev Bras Farmacogn 2019;29:689-93.
11. Alquadeib BT. Development and validation of a new HPLC analytical method for the determination of diclofenac in tablets. Saudi Pharm J 2019;27:66-70.
12. International Conference on Harmonization. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for the Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use 1996: Q2B. Guideline on Validation of Analytical Procedure-Methodology. London: International Conference on Harmonization; 1996.
13. Battu PR, Reddy MS. Development and validation of RP-HPLC for the rabeprazole sodium in pharmaceutical formulations and human plasma. Asian J Res Chem 2009;2:49-51.
14. Gnoatto SC, Schenkel EP, Bassani VL. HPLC method to assay total saponins in Ilex paraguariensis aqueous extract. J Braz Chem Soc 2005;16:723-5.
15. Reddy B, Reddy YR. Validation and stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of sildenafil citrate in pharmaceutical formulations and human plasma. J Chem 2008;5:1117-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.