IN VIVO EFFICACY OF TOPICAL BINAHONG (ANREDERA CORDIFOLIA (TEN.) STEENIS) LEAF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT ON TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR-BETA 1 IN INFECTED WOUNDS
Objective: This study’s aim was to assess the efficacy of topical Binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaf ethanolic extract administration on serum transforming growth factor-beta 1 (TGF-β1) in infected wounds.
Methods: An experimental study, in vivo, was conducted in the Biotechnology Laboratory and Animal House, Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Sriwijaya, Palembang, from July to September 2020. There were 30 male Wistar rats aged 10–12 weeks with excisional wounds infected with Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 25923. The rats were divided into five groups and received three concentrations of Binahong leaf extracts (2.5%, 5%, and 10%), salve base, and povidone iodine 10% topically twice daily for 14 days. Serum was obtained before treatment and after 14 days of treatment. Wound area and bacterial count were also recorded and analyzed. Data analysis was performed using computer software.
Results: Wound size and bacterial count were significantly decreased in treatment groups receiving topical Binahong leaf ethanolic extract. No significant increase in serum TGF-β1 was observed in all treatment groups.
Conclusion: Topical administration of Binahong leaf ethanolic extract on rats with infected wounds for 14 days did not significantly increase serum TGF-β1.
2. Negut I, Grumezescu V, Grumezescu AM. Treatment strategies for infected wounds. Molecules 2018;23:2392.
3. Martin P, Nunan R. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of repair in acute and chronic wound healing. Br J Dermatol 2015;173:370-8.
4. Sutrisno E, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Adnyana IK. Wound healing in vivo and in vitro study of binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) and pegagan (Centella asiatica (L.) Urban) ethanolic extract. Pharmacologyonline 2018;1:111-6.
5. Lichtman MK, Otero-Vinas M, Falanga V. Transforming growth factor beta (TGF-b) isoforms in wound healing and fibrosis. Wound Repair Regen 2016;24:215-22.
6. Tejiram S, Kavalukas SL, Shupp JW, Barbul A. Wound healing. In: Ågren M, editor. Wound Healing Biomaterials. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing; 2016. p. 3-39.
7. Qi M, Zhou Q, Zeng W, Wu L, Zhao S, Chen W, et al. Growth factors in the pathogenesis of diabetic foot ulcers. Front Biosci 2018;23:310-7.
8. Wang L, Qin W, Zhou Y, Chen B, Zhao X, Zhao H, et al. Transforming growth factor ? plays an important role in enhancing wound healing by topical application of Povidone-iodine. Sci Rep 2017;7:991.
9. Santosaningsih D, Santoso S, Setijowati N, Rasyid HA, Budayanti NS, Suata K, et al. Prevalence and characterisation of Staphylococcus aureus causing community-acquired skin and soft tissue infections on Java and Bali, Indonesia. Trop Med Int Health 2018;23:34-44.
10. Saleh K, Sönnergren HH. Control and treatment of infected wounds. In: Ågren MS, editor. Wound Healing Biomaterials: Volume One, Therapies and Regeneration. Cambridge: Woodhead Publishing; 2016. p. 107-15.
11. Wong SY, Manikam R, Muniandy S. Prevalence and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria from acute and chronic wounds in Malaysian subjects. J Infect Dev Ctries 2015;9:936-44.
12. Pereira-Franchi EP, Rachel M, Barreira N, De Sousa N, Moreira L, Magno C, et al. Prevalence of and risk factors associated with the presence of Staphylococcus aureus in the chronic wounds of patients treated in primary health care settings in Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 2017;50:833-8.
13. Powers JG, Higham C, Broussard K, Phillips TJ. Chronic wound care and management. J Am Dermatol 2019;74:607-25.
14. Roberts CD, Leaper DJ, Assadian O. The role of topical antiseptic agents within antimicrobial stewardship strategies for prevention and treatment of surgical site and chronic open wound infection. Adv Wound Care 2017;6:63-71.
15. LaBreck PT, Bochi-Layec AC, Stanbro J, Dabbah-Krancher G, Simons MP, Merrell DS. Systematic analysis of efflux pump-mediated antiseptic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus suggests a need for greater antiseptic stewardship. mSphere. 2020;5:e00959-19.
16. Istyastono EP, Yuliani SH. Scarless Wound Healing Gel with Binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis) Leaves Extract and Celecoxib as the Active Ingredients. In: AIP Conference Proceedings 1755, 160001. Melville: AIP Publishing; 2016. p. 1-6.
17. Astuti SM, Sakinah AM, Andayani BM, Risch A. Determination of saponin compound from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) steenis plant (Binahong) to potential treatment for several diseases. J Agric Sci 2011;3:224-32.
18. Sukandar EY, Kurniati NF. Evaluation of teratogenicity effects of ethanolic extracts of binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis) in wistar rat. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:7-12.
19. Kementerian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Farmakope Herbal Indonesia. I. Jakarta: Kemenkes RI; 2009.
20. Paju N, Yamlean PV, Kojong N. Uji Efektivitas Salep Ekstrak Daun Binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) pada Kelinci (Oryctolagus cuniculus) yang terinfeksi bakteri Staphylococcus aureus. Pharmacon 2013;2:51-62.
21. Sukrama DM, Wihandani DM, Manuaba AP. Topical binahong (Anredera cordifolia) leaf extract increases interleukin-6 and VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor) during burn wound healing in wistar rats infected with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Biol Med 2017;9:1-6.
22. Miladiyah I, Prabowo BR. Ethanolic extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis leaves improved wound healing in guinea pigs. Univ Med 2012;31:4-11.
23. Yuniarti WM, Lukiswanto BS. Effects of herbal ointment containing the leaf extracts of Madeira vine (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) for burn wound healing process on albino rats. Vet World 2017;10:808-13.
24. Ibrahim NI, Wong SK, Mohamed IN, Mohamed N. wound healing properties of selected natural products. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2018;15:2360.
25. Budovsky A, Yarmolinsky L, Ben-shabat S. Effect of medicinal plants on wound healing. Wound Repair Regen 2015;23:171-83.
26. Leliqia NP, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Antibacterial activities of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) V. steenis leaves extracts and fractions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:175-8.
27. Hasbullah UH. Kandungan senyawa saponin pada daun, batang dan umbi tanaman binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis). Plant Trop J Agro Sci 2016;4:20-4.
28. Zeinali M, Rezaee SA, Hosseinzadeh H. An overview on immunoregulatory and anti-inflammatory properties of chrysin and flavonoids substances. Biomed Pharmacother Pharmacother 2017;92:998-1009.
29. de Gonzalez AC, de Andrade ZA, Costa TF, Medrado AR. Wound healing a literature review. An Bras Dermatol 2016;91:614-20.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.