FORMULATION DEVELOPMENT AND CHARACTERIZATION OF GELUCIRE BEADS OF ANTIHYPERTENSIVE DRUG FOR FLOATING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM USING 32 FACTORIAL DESIGNS
Objective: The aim of this study was to design and to optimize lipid based beads for multiunit floating drug delivery of ramipril.
Methods: The beads prepared by melt-solidification method. In the investigation 32 full factorial design was used to investigate the joint influence of two formulation variable amount of Gelucire (X1) and Tween 20 (X2) as independent variable and the percentage drug release in 1 (Y1), 6 (Y2), and 12 h (Y3) as dependent variable. Gelucire 43/01 has chosen for release retardant and Tween 20 for solubility enhancement and drug loading agent.
Results: The results of multiple linear regression analysis indicated that for obtain a floating drug delivery, the optimum concentrations of both the lipid and drug loading agent should be used. The factorial models were used to prepare optimized floating beads and optimized formulations showed controlled release profiles for the extended period of more than 12 h.
Conclusion: From the study, it was concluded that beads of Gelucire for sparingly water-soluble drug ramipril can provide controlled release for extended period.
2. Huanbutt K, Nernplod T, Akkaramongkolporn P, Sriamornsak P. Design of porous Eudragit L beads for floating drug delivery by wax removal technique. Asian J Pharm Sci 2017;12:227-34.
3. Singh BN, Kim KH. Floating drug delivery systems: An approach to oral controlled drug delivery via gastric retention. J Control Release 2000;63:235-9.
4. Rouge N, Allemann E, Gex-Fabry M, Balant L, Cole ET, Buri P, et al. Comparative pharmacokinetic studies of a floating multiple-unit capsule, a high density multiple unit capsules and an immediate-release tablet containing 25 mg atenolol. Pharm Acta Helv 1998;73:81-7.
5. Streubel A, Siepmann J, Bodmeier R. Multiple unit Gastroretentive drug delivery: A new preparation method for low density microparticles. J Microencapsul 2003;20:329-47.
6. Goole J, Vanderbist F, Aruighi K. Development and evaluation of new multiple-unit levodopa sustained-release floating dosage forms. Int J Pharm 2007;334:35-41.
7. Sharma S, Pawar A. Low density multiparticulate system for pulsatile release of meloxicam. Int J Pharm 2006;313:150-8.
8. Santus G, Lazzarini G, Bottoni G, Sandefer EP, Page RC, Doll WJ, et al. An in vitro-in vivo investigation of oral bioadhesive controlled release furosemide formulations. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 1997;44:39-52.
9. Klausner EA, Lavy E, Friedman M, Hoffman A. Expandable gastroretentive dosage forms. J Control Release 2003;90:143-62.
10. Deshpande AA, Shah N, Rhodes CT, Malik W. Development of a novel controlled-release system for gastric retention. Pharm Res 1997;14:815-9.
11. Park K. Enzyme-digestible swelling as platforms for long-term oral drug delivery: Synthesis and characterization. Biomaterials 1988;9:435-41.
12. Gröning R, Berntgen M, Georgarakis M. Acyclovir serum concentrations following peroral administration of magnetic depot tablets and the influence of extracorporal magnets to control gastrointestinal transit. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 1998;46:285-91.
13. Chaturvedi S, Kumari P, Singh S, Agrawal VK. Approaches to increase the gastric residence time: Floating drug delivery systems-a review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:1-9.
14. Beneke CE, Viljoen AM, Hamman JH. Polymeric plant-derived excipients in drug delivery. Molecules 2009;14:2602-20.
15. Hauss DJ. Oral lipid-based formulations. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2007;59:667-76.
16. Jannin V, Musakhanian J, Marchaud D. Approaches for the development of solid and semi-solid lipid-based formulations. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2008;60:734-46.
17. Singh S, Chakraborty S, Shukla D, Mishra B. Lipid-an emerging platform for oral delivery of drugs with poor bioavailability. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2009;73:1-15.
18. Showkat HS, Pahuja S. Gelucire: A versatile formulation excipient. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2017;10:55-73.
19. Meisel S, Shamiss A, Rosenthal T. Clinical pharmacokinetics of ramipril. Clin Pharmacokinet 1994;26:7-15.
20. Griensven JM, Schoemaker RC, Cohen AF, Luus HG, Grofe MS, Rothing HJ. Pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and bioavailability of the ACE inhibitor ramipril. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1995;47:513-8.
21. Frampton JE, Peters DH. Ramipril an updated review of its therapeutic use in essential hypertension and heart failure. Drugs 1995;49:440-66.
22. Bharkatiya M, Nema RK, Bhatnagar M. Development and characterization of transdermal patches of metoprolol tartrate. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:130-4.
23. Jain SK, Gupta A. Development of Gelucire 43/01 beads of metformin for floating delivery. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2009;10:1128-36.
24. Mishra R, Dhole S. Lipid-based floating multiparticulate delivery system for bioavailability enhancement of berberine hydrochloride. J Appl Pharm Sci 2019;9:36-47.
25. Kamble RK, Chauhan CS, Kamble PR, Naruka PS. Formulation optimization of sustained release Resinate microcapsules of tramadol hydrochloride by using 32 factorial design. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol Res 2016;6:57-63.
26. Gouda R, Baishya H, Qing Z. Application of mathematical models in drug release kinetics of carbidopa and levodopa ER tablets. J Dev Drugs 2017;6:1-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.