ROLE OF SUNKIST PEELS EXTRACT AGAINST THE LEVEL OF ESTRADIOL AND MATURITY OF FOLLICLE IN THE FEMALE WISTAR RAT
Objective: The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of Sunkist peel extract against the estradiol level and ovarian follicle in the female Wistar rats.
Methods: This study was used 25 rats that were divided into five groups, namely, control (Na-CMC), standard (ethinylestradiol), and Sunkist peels extract-I, II, and III (300 mg/kg BW, 450 mg/kg BW, and 600 mg/kg BW). After 14 days, all rats were sacrificed by chloroform inhalation, and the ovarium was excised to histopathology preparation; meanwhile, the blood was collected for the serum. The histology and serum were determined the percentage of each type of follicle and the estradiol level, respectively.
Results: The result of this study showed that increasing of the extract significantly increased not the level of estradiol level (p<0.05) but also the percentage of secondary and de Graaf follicle (p<0.05). Nevertheless, the percentage of primordial and primer follicle decreased, followed by increasing the extract dosage (p<0.05).
Conclusion: It can be concluded that the Sunkist peels Sunkist peel increase both the level of estradiol serum and maturity of the follicle that increases the opportunity of female rats to be fertilized.
2. Sherwood L. Fisiologi Manusia dari Sel ke Sistem. Jakarta: EGC; 2013. p. 811-70.
3. Simon A, Chang WY, DeCherney AH. Amenorrhea. In: DeCherney AH, Nathan L, Lauger N, Roman AS, editors. Current Diagnosis and Treatment Obstetrics and Gynecology. 11th ed. New York: McGraw- Hill Medical; 2013. p. 1514-35.
4. Sharma S, Khinchi MP, Agrawal D, Sharma N, Gupta MK. Female infertility: An overview. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:1-12.
5. Hestiantoro A, Wiweko B, Pratama G, Yusuf D. Konsensus Penanganan Infertilitas. Jakarta: HIFERI, PERFITRI, IAUI, POGI; 2013. p. 1-81.
6. Agarwal A, Mulgund A, Hamada A, Chyatte MR. A unique view on male infertility around the globe. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2015;13:37.
7. Hoffman BL, Schorge JO, Bradshaw KD, Halvorson LM, Schaffer JI, Corton MM. Williams Gynecology. 3rd ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Education; 2016. p. 437-48.
8. Oikeh EI, Oriakhi K, Omoregie ES. Proximate analysis and phytochemical screening of citrus sinensis fruit wastes. Bioscientist 2013;1:164-70.
9. Rietjens IM, Louisse J, Beekmann K. The potential health effects of dietary phytoestrogens. Br J Pharmacol 2017;174:1263-80.
10. Sa’adah N, Purnomo W. Karakteristik dan Perilaku berisiko pasangan infertil di klinik fertilitas dan bayi tabung tiara cita rumah sakit putri Surabaya. J Biom Kependud 2016;5:61-9.
11. Mutia MS, Chiuman L. Hepatoprotective effect of Citrus sinensis (L.) osbeck ethanol extract in paracetamol-induced rats. Maj Kedokt Bandung 2019;51:189-93.
12. Kosasih E, Chiuman L, Lister INE, Fachrial E. Hepatoprotective effect of Citrus sinensis peel extract against isoniazid and rifampicin-induced liver injury in wistar rats. Maj Obat Tradis 2019;24:197-203.
13. Maheshwari H, Satyaningtijas AS, Harlina E, Ningsih UC, Effendi M, Mustofa MA, et al. The role of fennel infusion on estrous cycle and follicles development of white rats. J Ilmu Kefarmasian Indones 2016;14:19-25.
14. Hall JE. Guyton and Hall: Textbook of Medical Physiology. 13th ed. London: Elsevier; 2017. p. 945-61.
15. Sharaibi OJ, Afolayan AJ. Biochemical and hormonal effects of Nymphaea lotus aqueous extract on hyperprolactinemic female wistar rats. Asian J Biochem 2017;12:91-8.
16. Ugwah-Oguejiofor CJ, Bello SO, Okolo RU, Etuk EU, Ugwah MO, Igbokwe VU, et al. Effect of aqueous extract of Ficus platyphylla on female wistar rats with estradiol valerate-induced polycystic ovarian syndrome. Int J Phytomed 2014;6:405-11.
17. Kuhnle GG, Dell’Aquila C, Aspinall SM, Runswick SA, Joosen AM, Mulligan AA, et al. Phytoestrogen content of fruits and vegetables commonly consumed in the UK based on LC–MS and 13C-labelled standards. Food Chem 2009;116:542-54.
18. Desmawati D, Sulastri D. Phytoestrogens and their health effect. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2019;7:495-9.
19. Shalaby EA, Shanab SM. Antioxidant compounds, assays of determination and mode of action. Afr J Pharm Phamacol 2013;7:528-39.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.