SPLENIC PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF WHITE TURMERIC EXTRACT AGAINST COPPER TOXICITY IN MALE WISTAR RATS
Objective: This study was aimed to investigate the protective effect of white turmeric against copper splenic toxicity in male Wistar rats.
Methods: This study used 30 rats divided into six groups: Negative groups, positive groups, Ethanol Extract of White Turmeric I-III. After 14 days, all rats were sacrificed by chloroform inhalation, and the spleen was excised and process to histopathology preparation and evaluation.
Results: The result of this study showed that white turmeric acutely protected spleen from the impact of copper by reducing congestion/vasodilatation of the blood vessel (p=0.002), neutrophil infiltration (p<0.05), and lymphoid necrosis (p<0.05). Nevertheless, white turmeric extract may induce chronic inflammation by increasing the number of macrophage cells (p=0.003).
Conclusion: Overall, it can be concluded that the white turmeric extracts acutely protect spleen from the impact of copper.
2. Chubaka CE, Whiley H, Edwards JW, Ross KE. Lead, zinc, copper, and cadmium content of water from South Australian rainwater tanks. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2018;15:1551.
3. De Porto AP, Lammers AJ, Bennink RJ, ten Berge IJ, Speelman P, Hoekstra JB. Assessment of splenic function. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2010;29:1465-73.
4. Rivera-Espinoza Y, Muriel P. Pharmacological actions of curcumin in liver diseases or damage. Liver Int 2009;29:1457-66.
5. Lakshmi S, Padmaja G, Remani P. Antitumour effects of isocurcumenol isolated from Curcuma zedoaria rhizomes on human and murine cancer cells. Int J Med Chem 2011;2011:253962.
6. Wardhani FM, Chiuman L, Novalinda Ginting C, Ginting SF, Nasution AN. Efek Ekstrak Kunyit Putih (Curcuma zedoaria) Sebagai Nefroprotektor Pada Tikus Putih Jantan Galur Wistar yang Diinduksi Tembaga. J Indones Med Assoc 2019;69:258-66.
7. Wardhani FM, Chiuman L, Novalinda Ginting C, Ginting SF. Role of cystatin-C as serum biomarkers in predicting glomerular function-associated with copper-induced acute kidney injury. Maj Kedokt Bandung 2020;52:16-21.
8. Chiuman L. Protective effect of Curcuma zedoaria against copper in rats’ white blood cell. Am Sci Res J Eng Technol Sci 2019;59:142-8.
9. Ongko NX, Chiuman L, Ginting CN. Effect of White turmeric rhizome extract (Curcuma zedoaria) on testis histology of male wistar rat. Am Sci Res J Eng Technol Sci 2019;55:69-74.
10. Mutia MS, Chiuman L. Hepatoprotective effect of Citrus sinensis (L.) osbeck ethanol extract in paracetamol-induced rats. Maj Kedokt Bandung 2019;51:189-93.
11. Akc?lar R, Akc?lar A, ?im?ek H, Koçak FE, Koçak C, Yümün G, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen treatment ameliorates lung injury in paraquat intoxicated rats. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2015;8:13034-42.
12. Aldahmash BA, El-Nagar DM. Antioxidant effects of captopril against lead acetate-induced hepatic and splenic tissue toxicity in swiss albino mice. Saudi J Biol Sci 2016;23:667-73.
13. Pereira TC, Campos MM, Bogo MR. Copper toxicology, oxidative stress and inflammation using zebrafish as experimental model. J Appl Toxicol 2016;36:876-85.
14. Lai X, Zhao H, Zhang Y, Guo K, Xu Y, Chen S, et al. Intranasal delivery of copper oxide nanoparticles induces pulmonary toxicity and fibrosis in C57BL/6 mice. Sci Rep 2018;8:4499.
15. Rajkumari S, Sanatombi K. Nutritional value, phytochemical composition, and biological activities of edible Curcuma species: A review. Int J Food Prop 2017;20:2668-87.
16. Dosoky NS, Setzer WN. Chemical composition and biological activities of essential oils of Curcuma species. Nutrients 2018;10:1196.
17. Mohan H. Textbook of Pathology. 6th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Publisher; 2010. p. 592-648.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.