A STUDY ON PATIENTS AWARENESS ON RATIONAL USE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND ITS RESISTANCE
Objectives: Antibiotics are needed for many serious illnesses such as bacterial pneumonia, bacterial meningitis, septicemia, and even strep throat.
These illnesses can be life threatening or can lead to serious complications. The work aims to create an awareness on antibiotics and its resistance in
patients. The main objective of this work is to study the patient knowledge through knowledge assessment questionnaire, to promote the rational use
of antibiotics and to educate the patients using antibiotics.
Methods: A questionnaire was prepared and data were collected from the patients based on which the study was carried out.
Results and Conclusion: A very high consumption of antibiotics was observed.there was a higher use of cephalosporins. Dispensing of antibiotics
is very high in community pharmacy despite of federal regulations, heath education programs should be taken to the patients regarding antibiotics.
Keywords: Rational use, Antibiotics, Resistance.
2. Kotwani A, Holloway K. Trends in antibiotic use among outpatients in New Delhi, India. BMC Infect Dis 2011;11:99.
3. Al-Azzam SI, Al-Husein BA, Alzoubi F, Masadeh MM, Al-Horani MA. Self-medication with antibiotics in Jordanian population. Int J Occup Med Environ Health 2007;20(4):373-80.
4. Togoobaatar G, Ikeda N, Ali M, Sonomjamts M, Dashdemberel S, Mori R, et al. Survey of non-prescribed use of antibiotics for children in an urban community in Mongolia. Bull World Health Organ 2010;88(12):930-6.
5. Sansgiry SS, Nadkarni A, Doan T. Misuse of over- the- counter medications among community- dwelling older adults and associated adverse drug events. J Pharam Health Serv Res 2010;1:175-9.
6. Schirm E, Berg PV, Gebben H, Sauer P, Berg LD. Drug use of children in the community assessed through pharmacy dispensing data. Br J Clin Pharm 2000;50(5):473-8.
7. Khan AK, Banu G, Reshma KK. Antibiotic resistance and usage-a survey on the knowledge, attitude, perceptions and practices among the medical students of a Southern Indian teaching hospital. J Clin Diagn Res 2013;7(8):1613-6.
8. Jose J, Jimmy B, Alsabahi AG, Al Sabei GA. A study assessing public knowledge, belief and behavior of antibiotic use in an Omani population. Oman Med J 2013;28(5):324-30.
9. Crumpton LP, McClanahan SB. Antibiotic resistance and antibiotics in endodontic. Clinical Update Naval Postgraduate Dental School.
10. Slavkin HC. Benefit-to-risk ratio: The challenge of antibiotic drug resistance. J Am Dent Assoc 1997;128(10):1447-51.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.