CLINICAL CASE STUDY OF TUBERCULOSIS IN PAROTID GLAND FOUND IN CHILDREN AT A MEDICAL SCHOOL IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
Objective: Tuberculous parotitis in children is a rare disease and its pre-operative diagnosis remains difficult because of the low incidence and
nonspecific presentation of swellings, mimicking benign and malignant neoplasm of the parotid gland.
Methods: Patients presenting in the pediatric ward and outdoor patient department were screened and diagnosed on a day to day basis. Diagnoses
of the disease in three children were made by strong clinical suspicion on morphological observations of developed swellings and were confirmed
by ancillary diagnostic measures, ultrasonography (USG), histology, and Ziehlâ€“Neelsen staining of aspirates of lesions obtained with USG-guided fine
needle aspiration cytology.
Results: Rare cases of parotid gland tuberculosis were detected and they were properly investigated, photographed after consent and treatment given
to them were documented. Tubercular infections of parotid glands in three children are described that were addressed by anti-tubercular treatment.
Conclusion: Etiology confirmed nonspecific presentations of swellings as tuberculous parotitis in three children.
Keywords: Tuberculous parotitis, Ultrasonography, Fine-needle aspiration cytology.
1. Dubey D, Rath S, Sahu MC, Nayak N, Debata NK, Padhy RN. Status of multidrug resistance in tubercle bacillus and phytochemicals for the control. J Publ Health 2013;21:115-9.
2. Singh S. Scaling up anti-mycobacterial drug susceptibility testing services in India: It is high time. Indian J Med Microbiol 2008;26:209â€‘11.
3. Akmatov MK, Mikolajczyk RT, Krumkamp R, WÃ¶rmann T, Paetzelt G, Reintjes R, et al. Availability of indicators of migration in the surveillance of HIV, tuberculosis and hepatitis B in the European Union: A short note. J Publ Health 2012. doi: 10.1007/s10389-011â€‘0488-1.
4. Migliori GB, Centis R, Dâ€™Ambrosio L, Spanevello A, Borroni E, Cirillo DM, et al. Totally drug-resistant and extremely drug-resistant tuberculosis: The same disease? Clin Infect Dis 2012;54:1379-80.
5. Udwadia ZF. MDR, XDR, TDR tuberculosis: Ominous progression. Thorax 2012;67(4):286-8.
6. World Health Organisation. Global Tuberculosis Report. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 2012.
7. Available from: http//www. WHO/HTM/TB/2012.6. [Last accessed on 2014 Feb 25].
8. Sahu MC, Rath S, Dubey D, Debata NK, Padhy RN. Evaluation of two microbiological diagnostic methods for the pulmonary tuberculosis based on Bayes rule. J Publ Health 2012;21:123-30.
9. Rath S, Dubey D, Sahu MC, Mishra SS, Padhy RN. Statistical evaluation of two microbiological diagnostic methods of pulmonary tuberculosis after implementation of a directly observed treatment short-course program. Osong Public Health Res Perspect 2013;4(1):45â€‘51.
10. WHO Report, 2011. Global tuberculosis control. Available from: http://www.who/htm/tb/2011.16. [Last accessed on 2014 Feb 20].
11. Janmeja AK, Das SK, Kochhar S, Handa U. Tuberculosis of the parotid gland. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2003;45(1):67-9.
12. Shah I. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2012;31(9):970-2.
13. Holmes S, Gleeson MJ, Cawson RJ. Mycobacterial disease of the parotid gland. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000;90:292-8.
14. Shkora AG, Rothstein SG, Garay KF, Spiegel R. Tuberculosis of head and neck. In: Rom WN, Garay SM, editors. Tuberculosis. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2004. p. 477-88.
15. UstÃ¼ner TE, SensÃ¶z O, KoÃ§er U. Primary tuberculosis of the parotid gland. Plast Reconstr Surg 1991;88(5):884-5.
16. Birkent H, Karahatay S, Akcam T, Durmaz A, Ongoru O. Primary parotid tuberculosis mimicking parotid neoplasm: A case report. J Med Case Rep 2008;2:62.
17. Verma RK, Kushal D, Bal A, Panda NK. Primary parotid tuberculosis mimicking parotid neoplasm: A rare case report. Southeast Asian J Case Rep Rev 2013;2:455-62.
18. Som PM, Curtin HD. Head and Neck Imaging. 3rd ed. St Louis, Mo, USA: Mosby â€“ Year Book; 1996.
19. Seth V, Kabra SK. Essentials of Tuberculosis in Children. 4th ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2011.
20. Suleiman AM. Tuberculous parotitis: Report of 3 cases. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001;39(4):320-3.
21. Singh J, Arrieta A, Lang DJ, Ahuja G. Tuberculous parotitis in an infant. Infect Med 2001; 18:217-20.
22. Chou YH, Tiu CM, Liu CY, Hong TM, Lin CZ, Chiou HJ, et al. Tuberculosis of the parotid gland: Sonographic manifestations and sonographically guided aspiration. J Ultrasound Med 2004;23(10):1275â€‘81.
23. He Y, Zhang ZY, Tian Z. The diagnostic value of fine-needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) for lesions in the parotid gland. Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 2003;12(6):410-3.
24. IserÃ¬ M, AydÃ¬ner O, CelÃ¬k L, Peker O. Tuberculosis of the parotid gland. J Laryngol Otol 2005;119(4):311-3.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.