PHARMACOLOGICAL POTENTIALS OF PYRIMIDINE DERIVATIVE: A REVIEW
The chemistry of pyrimidine derivatives plays an important role in the field of drugs, agriculture chemicals and many biological processes. The chemistry of pyrimidine is a provoking field. In recent decades, a large number of pharmacological studies has been done on pyrimidine & there derivative. But still more research is required in order to necessity the biological compounds. Â Numerous methods for the synthesis of pyrimidine and also their diverse reaction generate an enormous scope in the field of medicinal chemistry. The utility of pyrimidines as synthon for various biologically active compounds has given impetus to these studies. Â The pyrimidine derivatives show various biological activities including antitubercular, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiplasmodial, antifungal, anticancer, and analgesic activity. This article aims to review the recent works on pyrimidine derivatives together with the biological potential during the past years.Keywords: Pyrimidine, Pharmacological studies, Anticancer, Antitubercular
1. Ghomi AS, Ali M. An efficient route to the synthesis of pyrimidine-2-ones under ultrasound irradiation. Dig J Nanomater Biostruct 2010;5(2):303-6.
2. Lagoja IM. Pyrimidine as constituent of natural biologically active compounds. Chem Biodivers 2005;2(1):1-50.
3. Brown DJ, Evans RF, Cowden WB. Comprehensive Heterocyclic Chemistry. UK: Pergamon Press Oxford; 1984. p. 15.
4. Elderfield RC. Heterocyclic Compounds. USA: John Wiley & Sons New York; 1957. p. 6.
5. Agarwal OP. Organic Chemistry. Reaction and Reagent. New Delhi: Krishna Prakashan Media (P) Ltd.; 2006. p. 735.
6. Porter AE. Diazines and Benzodiazines. Netherlands: Pregamon Press, Elsevier Science BV Amsterdam; 1979. p. 14.
7. Gavilan MD, Gomez-Vidal JA, Serrano FR. Pyrimidine as anticancer agent. Bio Med Chem Lett 2008;18:1457-60.
8. Ali M, Azad M, Siddiquia HL, Nasim FH. Synthesis and antimicrobial studies of some quinolinylpyrimidine derivatives. J Chinese Chem Soc 2008;55:394-400.
9. Siddiqui AB, Trivedi AR, Kataria VB, Shah VH 4,5-Dihydro-1H-pyrazolo[3,4-d]pyrimidine containing phenothiazines as antitubercular agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2014 15;24:1493-5.
10. Chandrashekaraiah M, Lingappa M, Gowda VD, Bhadregowda DG. Synthesis of some new pyrimidine-azitidinone analogues and their antioxidant, in vitro antimicrobial, and antitubercular activities. J Chem 2014;2014:9.
11. Kachroo M, Panda R, Yadav Y. Synthesis and biological activities of some new pyrimidine derivatives from chalcones. Pharm Chem 2014;6(2):352-9.
12. Dudhe R, Sharma PK, Verma PK. Synthesis and biological activities of some new pyrimidine derivatives from chalcones. Int J Res Dev Pharm Life Sci 2015;4:1.
13. Himaja M, Rout PK, Karigar AA, Poppy D, Munirajashekhar D. Synthesis and antioxidant activity of 4,6 â€“ diphenylpyrimidine- 2- amine & its derivatives. Univ J Pharm 2012;01(01):72-7.
14. Bano T, Kumar N, Dudhe R. Free radical scavenging properties of pyrimidine derivatives. Org Med Chem Lett 2012;2(1):34.
15. Goudar V, Rashmi P, Shantharam U, Hazra K, Nargund LG. synthesis of novel thienopyrimidines and evaluation for their anti-inflammatory activity. J Chem Pharm Res 2012;4(6):3100-6.
16. Kota1 RK, Kompelly KK, Surampudi R, Kulakarni R. Synthesis and antiinflammatory activity of novel pyrazolo [3,4-d] pyrimidines. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3(4):848-53.
17. Kumaresan S, Chandrasekaran S, Sakthivel KM, Guruvayoorappan C, Israel VM. Synthesis, characterization and anti-inflammatory activity of some novel pyrimidin-2-amines on Carrageenanâ€“induced paw edema in balb/c mice. J Chem Pharm Res 2014;6(10):593.
18. Valarmathy J, Joshua LS, Senthilkumar KL. Synthesis of 2-aminopyrimidine derivatives and evaluation for anti tubercular, anti-convulant and anti-inflammatory activity. Univ Int J Chem 2011;2(2):61-8.
19. Mohana KN, Basavapatna N, Mallesha L. Synthesis and biological activity of some pyrimidine derivatives. Drug Invent 2013;5(3):216-22.
20. Kaur N, Aggarwal AK, Sharma N, Choudhary B. Synthesis and in-vitro antimicrobial activity of pyrimidine derivatives. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2012;4(3):199-204.
21. Gupta YK, Gupta V, Singh S. Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of pyrimidine based derivatives. J Pharm Res 2013;7(6):491-5.
22. Sharma O, Shrivastavaa B, Singla RK, Bhat V. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some novel pyrimidine- 2, 4 (1h,3h)-diones. Indo Glob J Pharm Sci 2011;1(3):252-7.
23. David VB, Babu VH, Reddy VM. Synthesis of novel 4,6-disubstituted-2-amino pyrimidines as antibacterial agents. Int J Pharm Chem Res 2014;3(1):2278-8700.
24. Nehad A, Saeed MM, Ahmed NS, Batran RZ, El-mouhty NA. Synthesis of some pyridine, Pyrimidine and cyclohexenone derivatives as antibacterial agents. Int J Innov Res Sci Eng Technol 2014;3(1):24.
25. Gullapelli K, Thupurani MK, Brahmeshwari Z. Synthesis and anti bacterial activity of 2-(4-aminophenyl) benzimidazole based pyramidine derivatives. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014;5(1):682-90.
26. Ishak CY, Metwally NH, Wahbi HI. In-vitro antimicrobial and antifungal activity of pyrimidine and pyrazolo-[1, 5-a] pyrimidine. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol 2013;2(6):407-11.
27. Andrews B, Mansur A. Synthesis and characterization of pyrimidine bearing 1, 3, 4-oxadiazole derivatives and their potential antifungal action. Int J Chem Stud 2013;1(4):32-9.
28. Singh K, Kaur H, Chibale K, Balzarini J, Little S, Bharatam PV. 2-Aminopyrimidine based 4-aminoquinoline anti-plasmodial agents. Synthesis, biological activity, structure-activity relationship and mode of action studies. Eur J Med Chem 2012;52:82-97.
29. Rai SU, Isloor AM, Shetty P, Pal KS, Fun HK. Synthesis and in vitro biological evaluation of new pyrazole chalcones and hetrocyclic diamides as potential anticancer agents. Arabian J Chem 2014;8(3):317-21.
30. Verma AK, Kumari R, Sing AK, Sharma BB, Martin A, Kant R. Synthesis characterization and anticancer activity of novel novel N-(sugar pyranosyl)thienopyrimidine 4- amine derivatives. Int Res J Pharm 2014;5(12):922.
31. Fathalla OA, Zeid F, Haiba ME, Soliman M, Abd-Elmoez HI, El-Serwy WS. Synthesis, antibacterial and anticancer evaluation of some pyrimidine derivatives. World J Chem 2009;4(2):127-32.
32. Kandeel MM, Mounir A, Refaat HR, Kassab AE. Synthesis of effective anticancer thieno [2,3-d] pyrimidine-4-ones and thieno [3,2-e] triazolo [4,3-c]pyrimidines. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4(3):0975-1491.
33. Goudgaon NM, Reddy RV. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of 2-(4-fluorobenzylthio)-n-(substituted phenyl) Pyrimidine-4-amines. Int J Pharm Chem Biol Sci 2014;4(1):64-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.