ROLE OF NATURAL TOOTHBRUSHES IN CONTAINING ORAL MICROBIAL FLORA-A REVIEW
Objective: To review the interest in the use of natural tooth brushes as environment friendly and cheap tool for dental care and oral hygiene.
Methods: The role of natural tooth brushes obtained from Gum Arabic tree, Meswak, Banyan, Neem, Apple, Mangosteen, Licorice, Olive, etc. versus
modern tothbrushes in controlling oral microbial flora were reviewed from available literature.
Result: Natural toothbrushes reported dental protection similar to modern toothbrushes. They are more ecological in its life-cycle, lower cost (0-16%
of the cost of a toothbrush). They require no tooth paste, maintenance and can combat bad breath.
Conclusion: Using Natural toothbrushes will be more beneficial to our oral hygiene than modern brushing techniques in controlling oral microbial flora.
Keywords: Meswak, Banyan, Microbial flora, Dental caries.
1. Asadi SG, Asadi ZG. Chewing sticks and the oral hygiene habits of the adult Pakistani population. Int Dent J 1997;47(5):275-8.
2. Wu CD, Darout IA, Skaug N. Chewing sticks: Timeless natural toothbrushes for oral cleansing. J Periodontal Res 2001;36(5):275-84.
3. Dogan AU, Chan DC, Wurster DE. Bassanite from Salvadora persica: A new evaporatic biomineral. Carbonates Evaporites 2005;20(1):2-7.
4. Njoroge GN, Kaibui IM, Njenga PK, Odhiambo PO. Utilisation of priority traditional medicinal plants and local peopleâ€™s knowledge on their conservation status in arid lands of Kenya (Mwingi District). J Ethnobiol Ethnomed 2010;6:22.
5. Ahmad M, Imran H, Yaqeen Z, Rehman Z, Rahman A, Fatima N, et al. Pharmacological Profile of Salvador persica. Res Inst Pharm Sci Pak J Pharm Sci 2011;24(3):323-30.
6. â€œVachellia nilotica (as Acacia nilotica (L.) Willd. ex Delile).â€ Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Available from http://keyserver.lucidcentral.org/weeds/data/03030800-0b07-490a-8d04-0605030c0f01/media/Html/Acacia_nilotica_subsp._indica.htm
7. Available from: http://www.healingteethnaturally.com/natural-tooth
8. Tenguria M, Chand P, Upadhyay R. Estimation of total polyphenolic content in aqueous and methanolic extracts from the bark of acacia Nilotica. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3(9):3458-61.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 8, Issue 4, 2015, 29-33
9. â€œMiswak Stick: The All Natural Toothbrushâ€. Available from http://arthurglosmandds.com/miswak-stick-natural-toothbrush/
10. Mohammed B, BergstrÃ¶m J, Batwa S, Al-Otaibi MF. Significance of chewing sticks (miswak) in oral hygiene from a pharmacological view-point. Saudi Dent J 2006;18(3):125-33.
11. Araya Y. Contribution of trees for oral hygiene in East Africa. Ethnobot Lealf 2008;11:38-44.
12. Spina M. (1994-04-28). â€œToothbrushes - the Miswak Treeâ€ (TXT). University at Buffalo Reporter 25 (26). [Last retrieved on 2009 Feb 16]. Available from HYPERLINK â€œhttp://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/archive/vol25/vol25n26/10b.%20%20txtâ€http://www.buffalo.edu/ubreporter/archive/vol25/vol25n26/10b.txt
13. Galati EM, Monforte MT, Forestieri AM, Miceli N, Bade A, Trovato A. Salvadora persica L. Hypolipidemic activity on experimental hypercholes- terolemia in rat. Phytomedicine 1999;6(3):181-5.
14. Almas K. The effect of Salvadora persica extract (miswak) and chlorhexidine gluconate on human dentin: A SEM study. J Contemp Dent Pract 2002;3(3):27-35.PMID 12239575.
15. Almas K, Skaug N, Ahmad I. An in vitro antimicrobial comparison of miswak extract with commercially available non-alcohol mouthrinses. Int J Dent Hyg 2005;3(1):18-24.
16. Al-Otaibi M, Al-Harthy M, SÃ¶der B, Gustafsson A, Angmar-Mansson B. Comparative effect of chewing sticks and tooth brushing on plaque removal and gingival health. Oral Health Prev Dent 2003;1(4):301-7.
17. Home Remedies For Teeth Whitening - Natural. Available from: http://www.searchhomeremedy.com/home-remedies-for-teeth-whitening.
18. Available from: http://www.homeremediesforlife.com/teeth-whitening/.
19. Natural Toothbrush Miswak Vs. Plastic Toothbrush. Available from: https://www.knoji.com/natural-toothbrush-miswak-vs-plastic-toothbrush/.
20. Make A Neem Toothbrush (Neem Tree Home Remedies). Discover Neem. Birgit Bradtke. [Last retrieved on 2013 July 16]. HYPERLINK â€œAvailable%20from%20http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-toothbrush.htmlâ€Available from http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-toothbrush.html.
21. Ajay B, Kothari S, Saxena S, Jain M. Comparative effect of neemstick and toothbrush on plaque removal and gingival health - A clinical trial (PDF). J Adv Oral Res 2011;2(3):51-6. ISSN 2229-4120.
22. Christy C. Uses of Neem Datun For Teeth. Available from: http://www.livestrong.com.Demand Media. [Last accessed on 2010 Oct 11].
23. Kaushik A, Tanwar R, Kaushik M. Ethnomedicine: Applications of Neem (Azadirachta indica) in dentistry. Dent Hypotheses 2012;3:112-4. Available from: http://www.dentalhypotheses.com/text.asp?2012/3/3/112/103933. [Last cited on 2015 Apr 21].
24. Prashant GM, Chandu GN, Murulikrishna KS, Shafiulla MD. The effect of mango and Neem extract on four organisms causing dental caries: Streptococcus mutans, Streptococcus salivavius, Streptococcus mitis and Streptococcus sanguis: An in vitro study. Indian J Dent Res 2007;18:148-51.
25. Hall JT. Somkie chezvable foods for the proitmotion of mastication and the preventi. on of pyorrhoea. Bourne mouth, bourne mouth guardian, 1929. http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/1/6069/1116.full.pdf. Apples and the teeth-Natureâ€™s toothbrushâ€ reappraised, British Medical Journal, 1977 - bmj.com.
26. Finlayson DA, Wilson WA. Dundeeâ€™s dental health education campaign results of survey 6 months later. Br Dent J 1961;111:103.
27. Available from: http://www.natureandmore.com/products/apple.
28. Toothbrush Foods for a Dazzling Smile. Available from: http://www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/diet/Toothbrush-foods-for-a-dazzling-smile/articleshow/14320106.cms.
29. David K. (9 August 2006). Forbidden? Not the Mangosteen. The New York Times. [Last retrieved on 2010 May 22]. Available from http://www.nytimes.com /2006/08/09/dining/09mang.html? Ex =1312776000&en= 0d1a76f2087e406d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss.
30. David K. (8 August 2007). Mangosteens Arrive, but Be Prepared to Pay. The New York Times. [Last retrieved on 2010 May 22]. Available from http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/08/dining/08mang.html.
31. Available from: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredie
32. Merriam-Websterâ€™s Medical Dictionary,Â© 2007 Merriam-Webster, Inc. Maud Grieve, Manya Marshall - A modern herbal: the medicinal, culinary, cosmetic and economic properties, cultivation and folk-lore of herbs, grasses, fungi, shrubs, & trees with all their modern scientific uses, Volume 2 Dover Publications, 1982 & Pharmacistâ€™s Guide to Medicinal Herbs Arthur M. Presser Smart Publications, 1 Apr 2001 2012-05-19.
33. Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, a Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus. Available from http://www.herbco.com/s-1494-licorice-plant.aspx.
34. Licorice and its Potential Beneficial Effects in Common Oro-dental Diseases. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21851508.
35. Available from: http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/ADA/2012/article/ADA-01-Licorice-root-fights-oral-bacteria.cvsp.
36. Available from: http://www.canadabaydental.com.au/the-dangers-and-benefits-of-licorice/.
37. Available from: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/news/20120105/licorice-root-may-cut-cavities-gum-disease.
38. Liquorice Health Check, Oro-Dental Implications, and a Case Report Louis Z. G. Touyz. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2729489/.
39. Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families, Olea europaea. Kew Royal Botanic Gardens. [Last retrieved on 2014 Dec 5]
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.