ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTIOXIDATION ASSAY OF THALIPATHIRI CHOORANAM PRESCRIBED TO CURE COUGH BY THE CHERUTHIKONAM TRADITIONAL SIDDHA MEDICINAL PRACTITIONER OF KANYAKUMARI DISTRICT, INDIA
Thalipathiri chooranam is a polyherbal formulation prepared from 15 different herbs being used for the treatment of kapha (in Tamil) diseases. Thalipathiri chooranam, aqueous, silver nitrate and petroleum ether extracts were tested for phytochemical, antioxidant and antibacterial activity against selected human pathogens viz. Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Proteus vulgaris. The antibacterial assay revealed that the extracts corroborate good inhibitory activity against all test pathogens. The unexplored area of Thalipathiri chooranam towards their antioxidation effect in aqueous, silver nitrate and petroleum ether extracts indicated promising antioxidant activities in concentration dependent manner.
1) Kartik Ch.patra :Standardisation of Siddha formulation. Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge Vol.8; July 2009
2) Gandhiraja, N S. Sriram,* V. Meenaa, J. Kavitha Srilakshmi, C. Sasikumar and R.Rajeswari Phytochemical Screening and Antibacterial Activity of the Plant Extracts of Mimosa pudica L. Against Selected Microbes, Ethnobotanical Leaflets 13:618-24, 2009
3) Balandrin, M.F., J.A. Klocke, E.S. Wurtele and 2006. Phytochemical analysis and antibacterial activity of Oxalis corniculata: A known medicinal Sources of Industrial and Medicinal materials 1: 72-78.
4) W.H.Bollinger, 1985. Natural plant Chemicals: Science, 228: 1154-1160
5) Allen ST. Chemical analysis of Ecological Material. New York: Blackwell Scientific Publication; 1974. P. 313
6) Harbone JR. Phytochemical Methods. A Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis, London: Charpan and Hall; 1976. P. 78
6) Olabinri BM, Odedire OO, Olaleye MT, Adekunle AS, Ehigie LO, Olabiniri PF. In vitro evaluation of hydroxyl and nitric oxide radical scavenging activities of artemether. Res J Biol Sci 2010: 5(1): 102-5
7) Nabavi SM, Ebrahimzadeh MA, Nabavi SF, Hamidinia A and Bekhradnia AR. Determination of antioxidant activity, phenol and lavonoid content of Parrotia persica Mey,Pharmacologyonline
(2008); 2: 560-567.
8) Sofowora AE (1993). Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicines inAfrica.. 2nd edition Spectrum Books, Ibadan, Nigeria. p. 289.
9) Heisig P. 2001. Planta Medica. 67: 4â€“12.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.