COMMIPHORA MUKUL EXTRACT AND GUGGULSTERONE EXHIBIT ANTITUMOUR ACTIVITY THROUGH INHIBITION OF CYCLIN D1, NF-ÎšÃŸ AND INDUCTION OF APOPTOSIS IN ORAL CANCER CELLS
Comiphora mukul, a promising medicinal plant and its constituent Guggulsterone (GS) is used in Ayurveda since decades. This study was aimed to
investigate the anticancer potential of C. mukul and GS on oral cancer cell lines (SCC-4, KB). MTT assay was used to determine tumour cell proliferation,
propidium iodide labeling and annexin V- binding, followed by flow cytometry was used to determine cell cycle and apoptosis of tumor cells after
treatment. Expression of regulatory proteins such as NF-ÎºÃŸ, cyclin D1, p53 and vascular endothelial growth factor was determined by western blot.
C. mukul and GS significantly inhibited tumor cell growth, caused cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in both tumor cells. Such activities appeared to be
due to inhibition of NF-ÎºÃŸ, cyclin D1and restoration of p53. Overall our data suggests that C. mukul and GS may be developed as chemopreventive and
chemotherapeutic drug for oral cancer.
Keywords: Commiphora mukul, Oral cancer, Antitumor, Cell cycle, Apoptosis, NF-ÎºÃŸ, Cyclin D1, P53.
1. Jemal A, Bray F, Carter M, Ferlay J, Ward E, Forman D. Global cancer statistics. Cancer J Clin 2011;4:69-90.
2. Shishodia S, Harikumar KB, Dass S, Ramawat KG, Aggarwal BB. The guggul for chronic diseases: Ancient medicine, modern targets. Anticancer Res 2008;28(6A):3647-64.
3. Rout OP, Acharya R, Mishra SK. Oleo gum resin guggulu: A review of the medicinal evidence for its therapeutic properties. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2012;3:15-21.
4. Gujral ML, Sareen K, Tangri KK, Amma MK, Roy AK. Antiarthritic and anti-inflammatory activity of gum guggul (Balsamodendron mukul Hook). Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1960;4:267-73.
5. Urizar NL, Moore DD. Guggullipid: A natural cholesterol-lowering agent. Ann Rev Nutr 1960;23:303-13.
6. Urizar NL, Liverman AB, Dodds DT, Silva FV, Ordentlich P, Yan Y, et al. A natural product that lowers cholesterol as an antagonist ligand for FXR. Science 2002;296(5573):1703-6.
7. Singh SV, Zeng Y, Xiao D, Vogel VG, Nelson JB, Dhir R, et al. Caspase-dependent apoptosis induction by guggulsterone, a constituent of Ayurvedic medicinal plant Commiphora mukul, in PC-3 human prostate cancer cells is mediated by Bax and Bak. Mol Cancer Ther 2005;4(11):1747-54.
8. Singh SV, Choi S, Zeng Y, Hahm ER, Xiao D. Guggulsterone-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells is caused by reactive oxygen intermediate dependent activation of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase. Cancer Res 2007;67(15):7439-49.
9. Shishodia S, Aggarwal BB. Guggulsterone inhibits NF-kappa B and Ikappa Balpha kinase activation, suppresses expression of anti-apoptotic gene products, and enhances apoptosis. J Biol Chem 2004;279(45):47148-58.
10. Samudio I, Konopleva M, Safe S, McQueen T, Andreeff M. Guggulsterones induce apoptosis and differentiation in acute myeloid leukemia: Identification of isomer-specific antileukemic activities of the pregnadienedione structure. Mol Cancer Ther 2005;4(12):1982-92.
11. Das SN, Khare P, Patil A, Pandey RM, Singh MK, Shukla NK. Association of DNA pattern of metastatic lymphnode with disease free survival in patients with intraoral squamous cell carcinoma. Indian J Med Res 2005 ;122(3):214-21.
12. Kapoor V, Singh AK, Dey S, Sharma SC, Das SN. Circulating cycloxygenase-2 in patients with tobacco-related intraoral squamous cell carcinoma and evaluation of its peptide inhibitors as potential antitumor agent. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2010;136(12):1795-804.
13. Desai AG, Qazi GN, Ganju RK, El-Tamer M, Singh J, Saxena AK, et al. Medicinal plants and cancer chemoprevention. Curr Drug Metab 2008;9(7):581-91.
14. Pikarsky E, Porat RM, Stein I, Abramovitch R, Amit S, Kasem S. NF-kappa B functions as a tumour promoter in inflammation-associated cancer. Nature 2004;431:461-6.
15. Yan M, Qin X, Zhang P, Zhou XJ, Zhang ZY, Che WT. Correlation of NF-ÎºÃŸ signal pathway with tumour metastasis of human head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. BMC Cancer 2010;10:437-49.
16. Macha MA, Rachagani S, Gupta S, Pai P, Ponnusamy MP, Batra SK, et al. Guggulsterone decreases proliferation and metastatic behavior of pancreatic cancer cells by modulating JAK/STAT and Src/FAK signaling. Cancer Lett 2013;341(2):166-77.
17. Macha MA, Matta A, Chauhan SS, Siu KW, Ralhan R . Guggulsterone target smokeless tobacco induced PI3K/Akt pathway in head and neck cancer cells. PLoS One 2011;6(2):e14728-45.
18. Shishodia S, Sethi G, Ahn KS, Aggarwal BB. Guggulsterone inhibits tumour cell proliferation, induces S-phase arrest, and promotes apoptosis through activation of C-Jun N-terminal kinase, suppression of Akt pathway and downregulation of antiapoptotic gene products. Biochem Pharmacol 2007;74(1):118-30.
19. Matsushime H, Roussel MF, Ashmun RA, Sherr CJ. Colony-stimulating factor 1 regulates novel cyclins during the G1 phase of the cell cycle. Cell 1991;65(4):701-13.
20. Masuda M, Hirakawa N, Nakashima T, Kuratomi Y, Komiyama S. Cyclin D1 overexpression in primary hypopharyngeal carcinomas. Cancer 1996;78(3):390-5.
21. Choi YJ, Li X, Hydbring P, Sanda T, Stefano J, Christie AL, et al. The requirement for cyclin D function in tumor maintenance. Cancer Cell 2012;22(4):438-51.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.