PENICILLAMINE IN INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE: A TIMELY REMAINDER OF AN OLD FOE
Penicillamine-induced lung injury has been sparsely reported in the literature. We report one such case with its wide-ranging ramifications. We
present an unusual case of drug induced-interstitial lung disease (DI-ILD) caused by penicillamine, resulting in acute lung injury in a young patient
with Wilson's liver disease. Patient had a interstial lung disease which was attributed to the drug pencillamine. Penicillamine-induced lung injury
has been sparsely reported in the literature and dose-dependent toxicity in a patient with neuro-psychiatric diseases adds to the rarity of the case.
Furthermore, the complexities involved in diagnosing DI-ILD are deliberated.
Keywords: Interstitial lung disease, Wilson's disease, Penicillamine.
1. Rosenow EC. The spectrum of drug-induced pulmonary disease. Ann
Intern Med 1972;77(6):977-91.
2. Fraser RS, MÃ¼ller NL, Colman N, Pare PD. Pulmonary disease caused
by toxins, drugs, and irradiation. Diagnosis of Diseases of the Chest.
ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1999. p. 2517-92.
3. Rosenow EC. Drug-induced pulmonary disease. Dis Mon
4. White JP, Ward MJ. Drug-induced adverse pulmonary reactions.
Adverse Drug React Acute Poisoning Rev 1985;4(4):183-211.
5. Walshe JM. Wilsonâ€™s disease; new oral therapy. Lancet
6. Camp, A. Penicillamine in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Proc R
Soc Med 1977;70(2):67-9.
7. Foucher P, Biour M, Blayac JP, Godard P, Sgro C, Kuhn M, et al.
Drugs which may injure the respiratory system. Eur Respir J
8. Ellis SJ, Cleverley JR, MÃ¼ller NL. Drug-induced lung disease: Highresolution
J Roentgenol 2000;175(4):1019-24.
9. Aronin PA, Mahaley MS, Rudnick SA, Dudka L, Donohue JF,
Selker RG, et al. Prediction of BCNU pulmonary toxicity in patients
with malignant gliomas: An assessment of risk factors. N Engl J Med
10. Sitbon O, Bidel N, Dussopt C, Azarian R, Braud ML, Lebargy F, et al.
Minocycline pneumonitis and eosinophilia: A report on 8 patients. Arch
Intern Med 1994;154(14):1633-40.
11. Bone RC, Wolfe J, Sobonya RE, Kerby GR, Stechschulte D, Ruth WE,
et al. Desquamative interstitial pneumonia following long-term
nitrofurantoin therapy. Am J Med 1976;60(5):697-01.
12. Scott DL, Bradby GV, Aitman TJ, Zaphiropoulos GC, Hawkins CF.
Relationship of gold and penicillamine therapy to diffuse interstitial
lung disease. Ann Rheum Dis 1981;40(2):136-41.
13. Kubo K, Azuma A, Kanazawa M, Kameda H, Kusumoto M, Genma A,
Saijo Y, et al. Consensus statement for the diagnosis and treatment of
drug-induced lung injuries. Respir Investig 2013;51(4):260.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.