STABILITY INDICATING RP-HPLC METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF DIETHYLCARBAMAZINE CITRATE, GUAIPHENESIN AND CHLORPHENIRAMINE MALEATE
Objective: The present work describes the development and subsequent validation of a simple, precise and stabilityâ€“indicating reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) method for the simultaneous estimation of diethylcarbamazine citrate, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine maleate in tablet dosage forms.
Methods: A simple, accurate, precise and robust RP-HPLC method was developed and validated for the estimation of diethylcarbamazine citrate, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine maleate. The chromatographic separation of all the three active components was achieved by using luna phenyl-hexyl column (250 mmx4.6 mm, dp=5 Âµm) with a mobile phase consisting of isocratic method with 0.1% triethylamine as buffer along with orthophosphoric acid adjusted to PH 2.5: acetonitrile (50:50v/v) at a flow rate 1.0 ml/min and ultraviolet detection at 210 nm.
Results: The retention time of chlorpheniramine maleate, guaiphenesin and diethylcarbamazine citrate were 2.86, 4.89 and 7.76 min respectively. Validation of the proposed method was carried out according to an international conference on harmonization (ICH) guidelines. The established method was linear in the range of 1-15, 0.6-9, 0.02-0.3 Âµg/ml and correlation coefficient was 0.999, 0.9991, and 0.993 for diethylcarbamazine citrate, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine maleate respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed method can be used for the quantitative analysis of diethylcarbamazine citrate, guaiphenesin and chlorpheniramine maleate.
2. WHO. Model List of Essential Medicines. World Health Organization; 2013.
3. Indian pharmacopoeia, Ghaziabad, Indian Pharmacopoeia; 2007. p. 558-59, 1005-6.
4. British Pharmacopoeia. London; British Pharmacopoeia Commission; 2009. p. 2861, 5094.
5. Indian Pharmacopoeia. The Indian pharmacopoeia commission, Ghaziabad, Govt. of India. Ministry of health and Family Welfare. Vol. II; 2007. p. 919-20, 1029-30.
6. Michael UA, Kenneth CO, Anthony AA. Spectrophotometric and thermodynamic studies of the charge-transfer interaction between diethylcarbamazine citrate and chloranilic acid. Chem Pharm Bull 1999;47:463-6.
7. Lee AR, Hu TM. Determination of guaiphenesin in antitussive pharmaceutical preparations containing dextromethorphan by firstâ€“and secondâ€“derivative UV spectroscopy. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1994;12:747-52.
8. Khalode KD, Waikar SB, Pasmane SP. A validated UV spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous estimation of Dextromethorphan hydrobromide and chlorpheniramine maleate. Int J Pharm Technol 2012;4:4690-9.
9. Joshi RS, Pawar NS, Sawant RL. Validated spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine maleate and caffeine in pue and tablate dosage form. Latt Am J Pharm 2010;29:1226-30.
10. Mahesh RJ, Jeyaprakash MR, Madhuri K, Meyyanathan SN, Elango K. A sensitive RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of diethylcarbamazine and levocetirizine in tablet formulation. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011;73:320â€“3.
11. Hamide C, Tuncel O. Simultaneous high-performance liquid chromatographic determination of paracetamol, phenylephrine HCl, and chlorpheniramine maleate in pharmaceutical dosage forms. J Chromatogr Sci 2002;40:97-100.
12. Suzen S, Akay C. Cevheroglu S. Formaco 1999;54:705â€9.
13. Kulikov AU, Aleksey GV. LC determination of lercanidipine and its impurities using DryLab software and experimental design procedures. J Chromatogr 2008;67:5-6.
14. Anand P, Varun R, Anagha D. Simultaneous analysis of intestinal permeability markers, caffeine, paracetamol and sulfasalazine by Reverse phase liquid chromatography: a tool for standardization of rat everted gut sac model. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:204-7.
15. Suraj S, Prasanna KP, Sagar KM, Sabuj S. HPLC method development for simultaneous estimation of hydrochlorothiazide and perindopril in tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:136-8.
16. Code Q2A-text on validation of analytical procedure step-3 Consensus Guideline; 1994.
17. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline; 2015.
18. Code Q2B-Validation of analytical procedure methodology step-4 consensus guideline, ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline; 1994.
19. Prakash K, Sireesha KR. Liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of lomefloxacin hydrochloride and dexamethasone sodium phosphate in eye drops. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:79-82.