PREPARATION AND IN VITRO EVALUATION OF LACIDIPINE ORAL LIQUID SOLID TABLET AS AN APPROACH OF SOLUBILITY AND DISSOLUTION RATE ENHANCEMENT
Objective: The aim of the present study was to prepare a new liquid-solid tablet to enhance the dissolution and bioavailability of a poor water soluble calcium channel blocker lacidipine.
Methods: Firstly, solubility study of lacidipine in different media of water-miscible non-volatile solvents as tween 20, tween 80, propylene glycol, liquid paraffin, PEG200, PEG400, and PEG600 was investigated to select the most suitable solvent. A mathematical model was applied to calculate the appropriate amount of carrier and coating material.
Four liquid-solid tablets of 6 mg lacidipine were prepared by dissolving the drug in the previously chosen water miscible non-volatile solvents, then a binary mixture of the carrier (Avicel PH 102) and coating material (Aerosil 200) at a ratio of 45:1 was used in all preparation since it gave the optimal flow property. Croscarmellose and magnesium stearate were incorporated in all prepared formulas as super disintegrant and lubricant respectively. On the other hand, directly compressed lacidipine tablet of the same previous composition without the addition of any non-volatile solvent was prepared for comparism study. Both characterizations of powder mixture and post-compression tablet evaluations were done. Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) were investigated for the pure drug, physical mixture, and selected liquid-solid tablet to exclude any drug-excipients interaction.
Results: The obtained results indicated that PEG 200 was the most suitable solvent with lacidipine solubility of 2.81 mg/ml. Flowability of all the prepared formulas was found to be within the specification limits. The liquid-solid tablet formula with PEG 200 at 10% w/w lacidipine was the most suitable one in the term of disintegration time (21Â±0.2 second), 100% of drug release within 10 min, and with accepted other tablet properties.
DSC thermograms for both physical mixture of selected liquisolid system and its tablets illustrated the formation of lacidipine amorphous solid solution. The absence of chemical interaction between drug and other formula components was confirmed by remaining all characteristic peaks of lacidipine in all investigated FTIR spectra.
Conclusion: Liquid-solid tablet was considered as a promising system to enhance solubility and dissolution rate of poor-water soluble lacidipine.
2. VranÃkovÃ¡ B, Gajdziok J. Liquisolid systems and aspects influencing their research and development. Acta Pharm 2013;63:447-65.
3. Burra S, Galipelly Sk. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution rate of frusemide through liquisolid technique. Pharm Lett 2010;2:321-8.
4. Kumar Nagabandi V, Ramarao T, Jayaveera K. Liquisolid compacts: a novel approach to enhance bioavailability of poorly soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2011;1:89-102.
5. Kurek M, Woyna-Orlewicz K, Khalid Mh, Jachowicz R. Optimization of furosemide liquisolid tablets preparation process leading to their mass and size reduction. Acta Poloniae Pharm Drug Res 2016;73:1325-31.
6. Patel Bb, Shah Cn. Recent research on liquisolid technology for solubility enhancement-a review. Int J Adv Pharm 2016;5:1-7.
7. Asija R, Bhatt S, Asija S, Yadav A, Shah I. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution of lercanidipine by liquisolid technique. J Chem Pharm Res 2014;6:2680-6.
8. Nagabandi V, Tadikonda R, Jayaveera K. Formulation development and evaluation of liquisolid systems to improve the dissolution rate of ketoprofen. Int J Biomed Res 2011;2:530-41.
9. Patel Mzr, Patel Mhk, Trivedi Mhj, Patel Dkn, Nayak Dbs. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution properties of lacidipine by solid dispersion. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2015;3:165-70.
10. Darekar T, Aithal K, Shirodkar R, Kumar L, Attari Z, Lewis S. Characterization and in vivo evaluation of lacidipine inclusion complexes with Î²-cyclodextrin and its derivatives. J Inclusion Phenom Macrocyclic Chem 2016;84:225-35.
11. Spireas S. Liquisolid systems and methods of preparing same. Google Patents; 2002.
12. Lu M, Xing H, Jiang J, Chen X, Yang T, Wang D, et al. Liquisolid technique and its applications in pharmaceutics. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;12:115â€“23.
13. El-Hammadi M, Awad N. Investigating the use of liquisolid compacts technique to minimize the influence of ph variations on loratadine release. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13:53-8.
14. Mohammed Asif Hussain Mg, T Rama Rao, Maimuna Anjum. Preparation and evaluation of nilvadipine liquisolid compacts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:1-8.
15. Vemula S, Radhika K. Liquisolid compact technique for improvement of the dissolution rate of flurbiprofen: formulation and evaluation. J Drug Res Dev 2015;1:1-5.
16. Bhairav Ba, Jadhav Ms, Saudagar R. Formulation and evaluation of liquisolid tablet of felodipine. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:70-1685.
17. Mahendran Baskaran Kbt, Gowthamarajan Kuppusamy, Veera, Kollipara Vsrkar. Formulation development of atorvastatin calcium tablets by gel liquisolid compact technique for improving solid-state stability and dissolution profile. J Drug Res Devel 2016;2:1-7.
18. Shahtalebi Ma, Tabbakhian M, Koosha S. Formulation and evaluation of orally disintegrating tablet of ondansetron using natural super disintegrant. J Herb Med Pharmacol 2015;4:102-9.
19. Nl Prasanthi Nrr, Ss Manikiran. Studies on dissolution enhancement of poorly water-soluble drug using water-soluble carriers. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2010;3:95-7.
20. Altememy D, Altememy JJ. Formulation and evaluation of meloxicam liquisolid compact. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:453-63.
21. Trustees Uspcbo, Convention Usp, Revision Uspcco, Board Nf, Editors. The United States Pharmacopeia: National Formulary. Supplement United States Pharmacopeial Convention; 2006.
22. Deshmukh P. Dissolution enhancement of rosuvastatin calcium by liquisolid compact technique. J Pharm 2013:1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/315902
23. Amit Mukharya Sc, Niyaz Mansuri, Arun K Misra. Solid-state characterization of lacidipine/Pvp K 29/32 solid dispersion primed by solvent co-evaporation. Int J Pharm Invest 2012;2:90-6.
24. Eedara Bb, Kankane M, Jukanti R, Nagabandi Vk, Bandari S. Enhanced solubility and permeability of exemestane solid dispersion powders for improved oral delivery. Int J Pharm Invest 2013;43:229-42.
25. Adibkia K, Shokri J, Barzegar-Jalali M, Solduzian M, Javadzadeh Y. Effect of solvent type on retardation properties of diltiazem Hcl form liquisolid tablets. Colloids Surf B 2014;113:10-4.
26. Abd-El Bary A, Louis D, Sayed S. Liquisolid tablet formulation as a tool to improve the dissolution of olmesartan medoxomil. Inventi Rapid: Ndds 2014;3:1-8.
27. Rajesh Asija Sb, Sangeeta Asija, Alpesh Yadav, Isha Shah. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution of lercanidipine by liquisolid technique. J Chem Pharm Res 2014;6:2680-6.
28. Elkhodairy Ka, Hassan Ma, Afifi Sa. Formulation and optimization of orodispersible tablets of flutamide. Saudi Pharm J 2014;22:53-61.
29. Chella N, Shastri N, Tadikonda Rr. Use of the liquisolid compact technique for improvement of the dissolution rate of valsartan. Acta Pharm Sin B 2012;2:502-8.
30. Martin A. Physical Pharmacy: Physical Chemical Principles In The Pharmaceutical Sciences: Bi Waverly. Pvt Ltd; 1993.
31. Singh Y. Martinâ€™s physical pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences: department of pharmaceutics ernest mario school of pharmacy rutgers, The State University Of New Jersey; 2006.
32. Sayyad Fj, Tulsankar Sl, Kolap Ub. Design and development of liquisolid compact of candesartan cilexetil to enhance dissolution. J Pharm Res 2013;7:381-8.
33. J Ramesh Bvk, Y Narasimha Reddy. Formulation and evaluation of olanzapine liquisolid compact tablets. Int J Pharm Technol 2016;8:11780-9.
34. Dias Rj, Mali Kk, Ghorpade Vs, Daulatrao V, Havaldar Vrm. Formulation and evaluation of carbamazepine liquisolid compacts using novel carriers. Indian J Pharm Educ Res 2017;51:69-78.
35. Saeedi M, Akbari J, Morteza-Semnani K, Enayati-Fard R, Sar-Reshteh-Dar S, Soleymani A. Enhancement of dissolution rate of indomethacin: using liquisolid compacts. Iran J Pharm Res 2011;10:25-34.
36. Patel Mzr, Patel Mhk, Trivedi Mhj, Patel Dkn, Nayak Dbs. Enhancement of solubility and dissolution properties of lacidipine by solid dispersion. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2015;3:165-70.
37. Fahmy Rh, Kassem Ma. Enhancement of famotidine dissolution rate through liquisolid tablets formulation: in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2008;69:993-1003.
38. Mukharya A, Chaudhary S, Mansuri N, Misra Ak. Solid-state characterization of lacidipine/Pvp K 29/32 solid dispersion primed by solvent co-evaporation. Int J Pharm Invest 2012;2:90-6.