PHASE COMPOSITION AND CRYSTALLINITY OF HYDROXYAPATITE WITH VARIOUS HEAT TREATMENT TEMPERATURES
Objective: This study investigated effects of heat treatment on the crystallinity and phase composition of hydroxyapatites (HAs) of different heat treatment.
Methods: HA powder was synthesized by the chemical precipitation method based on the reaction between the phosphorous acid and calcium hydroxide. Synthesized HA was divided into three groups for which each group was then given heat treatment at 100Â°C, 900Â°C, or 1300ÂºC. Phase identification, analyses and the crystallinity of the synthesized HAs were determined using the X-ray diffraction coupled with the Rietveld refinement.
Results: The synthesized HAs with each heat treatment were identified as HA phase containing hexagonal structure. Those treated at 100Â°C or 900Â°C revealed with crystallinity of 48% and 68%, respectively, with no additional phase; whereas, those treated at 1300Â°C produced a crystallinity of 72% and contained dicalcium and tricalcium phosphates.Conclusion: The synthesized HAs treated at 100Â°C, 900Â°C, or 1300Â°C were HA phase with hexagonal structure. The variable crystallinity of the synthesized HAs yielded from different heat treatment temperature correspondingly determines different phase composition.
2. Kumar P, Vinitha B, Fathima G. Bone grafts in dentistry. J Pharm Bioallied Sci 2013;5 Suppl 1:S125-7.
3. Al-Sanabani JS, Madfa AA, Al-Sanabani FA. Application of calcium phosphate materials in dentistry. Trends Biotechnol 2013;30:546-54.
4. Demirbag B, Huri PY, Kose GT, Buyuksungur A, Hasirci V. Advanced cell therapies with and without scaffolds. Biotechnol J 2011;6:1437-53.
5. Krishnamurithy GA. Review on hydroxyapatite-based scaffolds as a potential bone graft substitute for bone tissue engineering applications. Short Commun Jummec 2013;16:1-6.
6. Dorozhkin SV. Calcium orthophosphates as bioceramics: State of the art. J Funct Biomater 2010;1:22-107.
7. Zyman ZZ, Rokhmistrov DV, Loza KI. Determination of the Ca/P ratio in calcium phosphates during the precipitation of hydroxyapatite using X-ray diffractometry. Process Appl Ceram 2013;7:93-5.
8. Al-Khazraji KK, Hanna WA, Ahmed PS. Effect of sintering temperature on some physical and mechanical properties of fabricated hydroxyapatite used for hard tissue healing. Eng Technol J 2010;28:1880-92.
9. Ramesh S, Tolouei SR, Tan CY, Aw KL, Yeo WH, Sopyan, et al. Sintering of hydroxyapatite ceramic produced by wet chemical method. Adv Mater Res 2011;264:1856-61.
10. Gallinetti S, Canal C, Ginebra1 MP. Degradation and characterisation of new biphasic calcium phosphate cements. Eur Cell Mater 2012;23:6.
11. Komlev VS, Mastrogiacomo M, Pereira RC, Peyrin F, Rustichelli F, Cancedda R. Biodegradation of porous calcium phosphate scaffolds in an ectopic bone formation model studied by X-ray computed microtomograph. Eur Cell Mater 2010;19:136-46.
12. Nazarpak MH, Solati-Hashjin M, Moztarzadeh F. Preparation of hydroxyapatite ceramics for biomedical applications. J Ceram Process Res 2009;10:54-7.
13. Stipniecean L, Salma-Ancanea K, Borodajenkoa N, Sokolovab M, Jakovlevsb D, Berzina-Cimdinaa L. Characterization of Mg-substituted hydroxyapatite synthesized by wet chemical method. Ceram Int 2014;40:3261-7.
14. Chandrasekar A, Sagadevan S, Dakshnamoorthy. Synthesis and characterization of nano-hydroxyapatite (n-HAP) using the wet chemical technique. Int J Phys Sci 2013;8:1639-45.
15. Monmaturapoj N. Nona-size hydroxyapatite powders preparation by wet-chemical precipitation route. J Met Mater Miner 2008;18:15-20.
16. Brundavanam RK, Poinern GE, Fawcett D. Modelling the crystal structure of a 30 nm sized particle based hydroxyapatite powder synthesised under the influence of ultrasound irradiation from x-ray powder diffraction data. Am J Mater Sci 2013;3:84-90.
17. Zanotto A, Saladino ML, Martino DC, Caponetti E. Influence of temperature on calcium hydroxyapatite nan powders. Adv Nanoparticles 2012;1:21-2.
18. MartÃnez-CastaÃ±Ã³n GA, Loyola-RodrÃguez JP, Zavala-Alonso NV. Preparation and characterization of nanostructured powders of hydroxyapatite. Superficiesy VacÃo 2012;25:101-5.
19. Manalu JL, Soegijono B, Indrani DJ. Characterization of hydroxyapatite derived from bovine bone Asian J Appl Sci 2015;3:758-65.
20. Kusrini E, Sontang M. Characterization of X-ray diffraction and electron spin resonance: Effects of sintering time and temperature on bovine hydroxyapatite. Radiat Phys Chem 2012;81:118-25.
21. Malina D, Biernat K, Sobczak-Kupiec A. Studies on sintering process of synthetic hydroxyapatite. Acta Biochim Pol 2013;60:851-5.
22. White AA, Kinloch IA, Windle AH, Best SM. Optimization of the sintering atmosphere for high-density hydroxyapatite-carbon nanotube composites. J R Soc Interface 2010;7 Suppl 5:S529-39.
23. Ou SF, Chiou SY, Ou KL. Phase transformation on hydroxyapatite decomposition. Ceram Int 2013;39:3809-16.
24. Scalera F, Gervaso F, Sanosh KP, Sannino A, Licciulli A. Influence of the calcinations temperature on morphological and mechanical properties of highly porous hydroxyapatite scaffolds. Ceram Int 2013;39:4839-46.
25. Duan H, Yang H, Xiong Y, Zhang B, Ren C, Min L, Effects of mechanical loading on the degradability and mechanical properties of the nanocalcium-deficient hydroxyapatite-multi (amino-acid) copolymer composite membrane tube for guided bone regeneration. Int J Nanomed 2013;8:2801-7.
26. Shaji J, Shaikh M. Formulation, optimization, and characterization of biocompatible inhalable D-Cycloserine-loaded alginate-chitosan nanoparticles for pulmonary drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:82-95.
27. Sailaja AK, Amareshwar P. Preparation of alginate nanoparticles by desolvation technique using acetone as desolvating agent. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:132-4.