RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PATIENTâ€™S SATISFACTION OF REMOVABLE DENTURE WEARERS AND ORAL HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE
Objective: Patientâ€™s satisfaction with prosthodontic treatment is affected by many factors. Success of removable denture treatment can be measured using an index to evaluate patientsâ€™ perceptions of their treatment and their oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL). To analyze the relationship between patient satisfaction using Turkerâ€™s patientâ€™s perceptions questionnaire and the OHRQoL of removable denture wearers.
Methods: One-hundred and forty removable denture wearers (complete dentures, single complete dentures, and removable partial dentures) participated in this cross-sectional study. Participants were interviewed using a validated Turkerâ€™s patientâ€™s perceptions questionnaire in Indonesia and an OHRQoL questionnaire.
Results: There was a significant relationship between patientâ€™s satisfaction and OHRQoL (p=0.000). Multivariate analysis showed that the duration of using removable dentures had a significant effect on patientâ€™s satisfaction using Turkerâ€™s patientâ€™s perceptions questionnaire. The experience of using removable dentures showed a significant effect on OHRQoL.
Conclusion: There was a relationship between patientâ€™s satisfaction and their OHRQoL. The duration of using removable dentures affected patientâ€™s satisfaction and the experience of using removable dentures affected OHRQoL.
Statistic of the Elderly. Jakarta: Bureau of Central Statistic; 2015.
3. Petersen PE, Yamamoto T. Improving the oral health of older people: The approach of the WHO global oral health programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2005;33:81-92.
4. Yamaga E, Sato Y, Minakuchi S. A structural equation model relating oral condition, denture quality, chewing ability, satisfaction, and oral health-related quality of life in complete denture wearers. J Dent 2013;41:710-7.
5. Hobkirk JA, Zarb G. Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients: Complete Dentures and Implant Supported-Prostheses. 13th ed. Missouri: Elsevier; 2013.
6. Prithviraj DR, Madan V, Harshamayi P, Kumar CG, Vashisht R. A comparison of masticatory efficiency in conventional dentures, implant retained or supported overdentures and implant supported fixed prostheses: A literature review. J Dent Implant 2014;4:153-7.
7. Viola AP, Takamiya AS, Monteiro DR, Barbosa DB. Oral health-related quality of life and satisfaction before and after treatment with complete dentures in a dental school in brazil. J Prosthodont Res 2013;57:36-41.
8. Albaker AM. The oral health-related quality of life in edentulous patients treated with conventional complete dentures. Gerodontology 2013;30:61-6.
9. Oh SH, Kim Y, Park JY, Jung YJ, Kim SK, Park SY, et al. Comparison of fixed implant-supported prostheses, removable implant-supported prostheses, and complete dentures: Patient satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life. Clin Oral Implants Res 2016;27:e31-7.
10. Michaud PL, de Grandmont P, Feine JS, Emami E. Measuring patient-based outcomes: Is treatment satisfaction associated with oral health-related quality of life? J Dent 2012;40:624-31.
11. Turker SB, Sener ID, Ozkan YK. Satisfaction of the complete denture wearers related to various factors. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2009;49:e126-9.
12. Larasati A. Oral Health Related Quality of Life Index for The Elderly inIndonesia. Thesis. Universitas Indonesia; 2014.
13. Indonesia Health Ministry. Book of Population Data in Health Development Program 2011-2014. â€Š???: Indonesia Health Ministry, Data and Information Center; 2011.
14. Eisinga R, Grotenhuis Mt, Pelzer B. The reliability of a two-item scale: Pearson, cronbach, or spearman-brown? Int J Public Health 2013;58:637-42.
15. Al-Omiri MK, Karasneh J. Relationship between oral health-related quality of life, satisfaction, and personality in patients with prosthetic rehabilitations. J Prosthodont 2010;19:2-9.
16. Stober T, Danner D, Lehmann F, SÃ©chÃ© AC, Rammelsberg P, Hassel AJ, et al. Association between patient satisfaction with complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life: Two-year longitudinal assessment. Clin Oral Investig 2012;16:313-8.
17. Gjengedal H, Berg E, Boe OE, Trovik TA. Self-reported oral health and denture satisfaction in partially and completely edentulous patients. Int J Prosthodont 2011;24:9-15.
18. Pan S, Awad M, Thomason JM, Dufresne E, Kobayashi T, Kimoto S, et al. Sex differences in denture satisfaction. J Dent 2008;36:301-8.
19. Amarasena J, Jayasinghe V, Amarasena N, Yamada Y. Oral stereognostic ability during adaptation to new dentures in experienced and non-experienced complete denture wearers. J Oral Biosci 2010;52:181-6.
20. Al-Omiri MK, Sghaireen MG, Al-Qudah AA, Hammad OA, Lynch CD, Lynch E, et al. Relationship between impacts of removable prosthodontic rehabilitation on daily living, satisfaction and personality profiles. J Dent 2014;42:366-72.
21. Bae KH, Kim C, Paik DI, Kim JB. A comparison of oral health related quality of life between complete and partial removable denture-wearing older adults in Korea. J Oral Rehabil 2006;33:317-22.
22. de Siqueira GP, dos Santos MB, dos Santos JF, Marchini L. Patientsâ€™ expectation and satisfaction with removable dental prosthesis therapy and correlation with patientsâ€™ evaluation of the dentists. Acta Odontol Scand 2013;71:210-4.