RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PATIENT'S SATISFACTION OF REMOVABLE DENTURE WEARERS AND ORAL HEALTH-RELATED QUALITY OF LIFE
Objective: Patient's satisfaction with prosthodontic treatment is affected by many factors. Success of removable denture treatment can be measured using an index to evaluate patients' perceptions of their treatment and their oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL). To analyze the relationship between patient satisfaction using Turker's patient's perceptions questionnaire and the OHRQoL of removable denture wearers.
Methods: One-hundred and forty removable denture wearers (complete dentures, single complete dentures, and removable partial dentures) participated in this cross-sectional study. Participants were interviewed using a validated Turker's patient's perceptions questionnaire in Indonesia and an OHRQoL questionnaire.
Results: There was a significant relationship between patient's satisfaction and OHRQoL (p=0.000). Multivariate analysis showed that the duration of using removable dentures had a significant effect on patient's satisfaction using Turker's patient's perceptions questionnaire. The experience of using removable dentures showed a significant effect on OHRQoL.
Conclusion: There was a relationship between patient's satisfaction and their OHRQoL. The duration of using removable dentures affected patient's satisfaction and the experience of using removable dentures affected OHRQoL.
Statistic of the Elderly. Jakarta: Bureau of Central Statistic; 2015.
3. Petersen PE, Yamamoto T. Improving the oral health of older people: The approach of the WHO global oral health programme. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2005;33:81-92.
4. Yamaga E, Sato Y, Minakuchi S. A structural equation model relating oral condition, denture quality, chewing ability, satisfaction, and oral health-related quality of life in complete denture wearers. J Dent 2013;41:710-7.
5. Hobkirk JA, Zarb G. Prosthodontic Treatment for Edentulous Patients: Complete Dentures and Implant Supported-Prostheses. 13th ed. Missouri: Elsevier; 2013.
6. Prithviraj DR, Madan V, Harshamayi P, Kumar CG, Vashisht R. A comparison of masticatory efficiency in conventional dentures, implant retained or supported overdentures and implant supported fixed prostheses: A literature review. J Dent Implant 2014;4:153-7.
7. Viola AP, Takamiya AS, Monteiro DR, Barbosa DB. Oral health-related quality of life and satisfaction before and after treatment with complete dentures in a dental school in brazil. J Prosthodont Res 2013;57:36-41.
8. Albaker AM. The oral health-related quality of life in edentulous patients treated with conventional complete dentures. Gerodontology 2013;30:61-6.
9. Oh SH, Kim Y, Park JY, Jung YJ, Kim SK, Park SY, et al. Comparison of fixed implant-supported prostheses, removable implant-supported prostheses, and complete dentures: Patient satisfaction and oral health-related quality of life. Clin Oral Implants Res 2016;27:e31-7.
10. Michaud PL, de Grandmont P, Feine JS, Emami E. Measuring patient-based outcomes: Is treatment satisfaction associated with oral health-related quality of life? J Dent 2012;40:624-31.
11. Turker SB, Sener ID, Ozkan YK. Satisfaction of the complete denture wearers related to various factors. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2009;49:e126-9.
12. Larasati A. Oral Health Related Quality of Life Index for The Elderly inIndonesia. Thesis. Universitas Indonesia; 2014.
13. Indonesia Health Ministry. Book of Population Data in Health Development Program 2011-2014. â€Š???: Indonesia Health Ministry, Data and Information Center; 2011.
14. Eisinga R, Grotenhuis Mt, Pelzer B. The reliability of a two-item scale: Pearson, cronbach, or spearman-brown? Int J Public Health 2013;58:637-42.
15. Al-Omiri MK, Karasneh J. Relationship between oral health-related quality of life, satisfaction, and personality in patients with prosthetic rehabilitations. J Prosthodont 2010;19:2-9.
16. Stober T, Danner D, Lehmann F, SÃ©chÃ© AC, Rammelsberg P, Hassel AJ, et al. Association between patient satisfaction with complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life: Two-year longitudinal assessment. Clin Oral Investig 2012;16:313-8.
17. Gjengedal H, Berg E, Boe OE, Trovik TA. Self-reported oral health and denture satisfaction in partially and completely edentulous patients. Int J Prosthodont 2011;24:9-15.
18. Pan S, Awad M, Thomason JM, Dufresne E, Kobayashi T, Kimoto S, et al. Sex differences in denture satisfaction. J Dent 2008;36:301-8.
19. Amarasena J, Jayasinghe V, Amarasena N, Yamada Y. Oral stereognostic ability during adaptation to new dentures in experienced and non-experienced complete denture wearers. J Oral Biosci 2010;52:181-6.
20. Al-Omiri MK, Sghaireen MG, Al-Qudah AA, Hammad OA, Lynch CD, Lynch E, et al. Relationship between impacts of removable prosthodontic rehabilitation on daily living, satisfaction and personality profiles. J Dent 2014;42:366-72.
21. Bae KH, Kim C, Paik DI, Kim JB. A comparison of oral health related quality of life between complete and partial removable denture-wearing older adults in Korea. J Oral Rehabil 2006;33:317-22.
22. de Siqueira GP, dos Santos MB, dos Santos JF, Marchini L. Patientsâ€™ expectation and satisfaction with removable dental prosthesis therapy and correlation with patientsâ€™ evaluation of the dentists. Acta Odontol Scand 2013;71:210-4.