NANOSPONGES: A REVIEW
The recent advance in nanotechnology has lead to the development of targeted drug delivery system. However, targeting a molecule to a particular site using a drug delivery system effectively requires a specialized drug delivery system. The discovery of nanosponge has become a significant step in overcoming certain problems such as drug toxicity, poor bioavailability and release of drug in a predictable fashion as they can accommodate both hydrophilic and hydrophobic drug. Nanosponges exhibit a porous structure in nature which has the unique ability to entrap the drug moieties and offers a merit of desire release. Nanosponges are tiny sponges that can circulate in the body to reach the specific site and binds on the surface to release the drug in a controlled and predictable manner. Nanosponges can be formulated by crosslinking of cyclodextrine with carbonyl or di-carboxylate (Crosslinkers). Nano sponge's technology has been explored widely for the delivery of drugs for oral administration, topical administration, and parental administration. Nanosponges can also serve as an effective carrier for enzyme, proteins, vaccine and antibodies. The present review highlights the method of preparation, characterization and their potential application in drug delivery system.
2. Bolmal UB, Manvi FV, Rajkumar K, Palla SS, Paladugu A, Reddy KR. Recent advances in nanosponges as drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2013;6:1934-44.
3. Shivani S, Poladi KK. Nanosponges-novel emerging drug delivery system: a review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:529.
4. Thakre AR, Gholse YN, Kasliwal RH. Nanosponges: a novel approach of drug delivery system. J Med Pharm Allied Sci 2016;78:103-11.
5. Rita L, Amit T, Chandrashekhar G. Current trends in Î²-cyclodextrin based drug delivery systems. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2011;2:1520-6.
6. Ahmed RZ, Patil G, Zaheer Z. Nanospongesâ€“a completely new nano-horizon: pharmaceutical applications and recent advances. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2013;39:1263-72.
7. Singh D, Soni GC, Prajapati SK. Recent advances in nanosponges as drug delivery system: a review. Eur J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:364-71.
8. Jilsha G, Viswanad V. Nanosponges: a novel approach of drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;19:119-23.
9. Shringirishi M, Prajapati SK, Mahor A, Alok S, Yadav P, Verma A. Nanosponges: a potential nanocarrier for novel drug delivery-a review. Asian Pacific J Trop Disease 2014;4:19-26.
10. Nanosponges: A New Approach for Drug Targetting K. Arshad Ahmed, Khan. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2016;7:381-96.
11. Sharma R, Pathak K. Nanosponges: Emerging drug delivery system. Pharma Stud; 2010. p. 33-5.
12. Indira B, Bolisetti SS. Nanosponges: a new era in drug delivery. J Pharm Res 2012;5:5293-6.
13. Susmitha, Charanjit, V Manisha Reddy, Naveena, V Ram Mohan Gupta. Nanospongesâ€“a concise review of emerging trends. Int J Pharm Res Biomed Anal 2014;3:1-6.
14. Challa R, Ahuja A, Ali J, Khar RK. Cyclodextrins in drug delivery: an updated review. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6:E329-57.
15. Selvamuthukumar S, Anandam S, Krishnamoorthy K, Rajappan M. Nanosponges: a novel class of drug delivery system-review. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;15:103-11.
16. Trotta F, Zanetti M, Cavalli R. Cyclodextrin-based nanosponges as drug carriers. Beilstein J Org Chem 2012;8:2091â€“9.
17. Farooq SA, Saini V. Application of novel drug delivery system in the pharmacotherapy of hyperlipidemia. J Chem Pharm Sci 2013;6:138-46.
18. Trotta F, Dianzani C, Caldera F, Mognetti B, Cavalli R. The application of nanosponges to cancer drug delivery. Expert Opinion Drug Delivery 2014;11:931-41.
19. Gidwani B, Vyas A. A comprehensive review of cyclodextrin-based carriers for delivery of chemotherapeutic cytotoxic anticancer drugs. BioMed Res Int 2015;15:1-15.
20. Vyas A, Saraf S, Saraf S. Cyclodextrin based novel drug delivery systems. J Inclusion Phenom Macrocyclic Chem 2008;62:23-42.
21. Naga SJ, Nissankararao S, Bhimavarapu R, Sravanthi S, Vinusha K. Nanosponges: a versatile drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2013;4:2920-5.
22. GÃ¼ngÃ¶r S, Erdal MS, Aksu B. New formulation strategies in topical antifungal therapy. J Cosmet Dermatol Sci Appl 2013;3:56.
23. Trotta F. Cyclodextrin nanosponges and their applications. Cyclodextrins in pharmaceutics, cosmetics, and biomedicine. Current and Future Industrial Applications 2011. p. 323-42.
24. Kaur G, Aggarwal G, Harikumar SL. Nanosponge: New colloidal drug delivery system for topical delivery. Indo Global J Pharm Sci 2015;5:53-7.
25. Renu Kadian. Nanoparticles: a promising drug delivery approach. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:30-5.
26. Che-Ming J Hu, Ronnie H Fang, Jonathan Copp, Brian T Luk, Liangfang Zhang. A biomimetic nanosponge that absorbs pore-forming toxins. Nat Nanotechnol 2013;8:336â€“40.