EFFECTS OF ROSEMARY (ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS L.) LEAF EXTRACT ON ANGULAR CHEILITIS INDUCED BY STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS AND CANDIDA ALBICANS IN MALE WISTAR RATS
Objective: The study aimed to determine the effect of rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) leaf extract on healing angular cheilitis induced by
Staphylococcus aureus and Candida albicans in male Wistar rats.
Methods: We assessed 24 male Wistar rats that were divided into four groups: The first group was induced by S. aureus and given rosemary leaf
extract, the second group was induced by S. aureus and given gentamicin, the third group was induced by C. albicans and given rosemary leaf extract,
and the fourth group was induced by C. albicans and given miconazole. All rats in each group were treated, and wound length and erythema were
observed for 7 days.
Results: The average wound length on the 7th day was 0.00Â±0.0 mm in the first group, 0.29Â±0.4 mm in the second group, 0.00Â±0.0 mm in the third
group, and 0.25Â±0.2 mm in the fourth group. Statistical analysis demonstrated significant differences in wound length for each treatment group.
Conclusion: Rosemary leaf extract has a healing effect on angular cheilitis induced by S. aureus and C. albicans in male Wistar rats.
Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya Grup; 2013.
2. Mursito B, Heru P. Efficiency of Ornamental Plants as Drugs. Jakarta:
Penebar Swadaya Grup; 2011.
3. Moreno S, Sana AM, Gaya M, Barni MV, Castro OA, van Baren C.
Rosemary compounds as nutraceutical health products. In: El-Samragy Y,
editor. Food Additives. Rijeka: Intech-open Science; 2012. p.157-74.
4. Quattrocchi U. World Dictionary of Medicinal and Poisonous Plants:
Common Names, Eponyms, Synonyms and Etymology. Florida: CRC
Press; 2012. p. 3960.
5. Kuhn MA, Winston D. Herbal Therapy and Supplements: A Scientific
and Traditional Approach. New York: Wolters Kluwer Health/
Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008. p. 380-3.
6. Chooi OH. Spices: Food and Medicinal Benefits. Kuala Lumpur: Prin-
AD SDN. BHD; 2008. p. 186-7.
7. Safitri D, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Susanto E. The study of antifungal
activity from indigenous plants from Indonesia: An in vitro study. Asian
J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:196-201.
8. Sukandar EY, Safitri D, Susanto E, Fidrianny I. Evaluation of antifungal
activity of a 3-extract formulation in topical dosage form and its safety
aspect. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 2:206-10.
9. Fajriani F. Management of angular cheilitis in children.
J Dentomaxillofac Sci 2017;2:1-3.
10. Mahreen S, Raheela F, Anan. S. Angular cheilitis: Case reports and
literature review. Pak Oral Dent J 2014;34:597-9.
11. Ali Y, Zohra N, Erni M. Efficacy of angular cheilitis therapy in
department of oral medicine, faculty of dentistry Hasanuddin university
based on causative principle. Makassar Dent J 2013;2:1-3.
12. Crispian S. Oral and Maxillofacial Medicine: The Basis of Diagnosis
and Treatment. Edinburgh, New York: Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier;
2013. p. 147-9.
13. Torello ML, Lawrence CP, Roy SR. Oral Diseases: Textbook and Atlas.
New York: Springer; 2012. p. 22.
14. Asep SA. Injury, inflammation, and recovery. J Entropi 2014:9;729-38.
15. HernÃ¡ndez-HernÃ¡ndez E, Ponce-Alquicira E, Jaramillo-Flores ME,
Guerrero Legarreta I. Antioxidant effect rosemary (Rosmarinus
officinalis L.) and oregano (Origanum vulgare L.) extracts on TBARS
and colour of model raw pork batters. Meat Sci 2009;81:410-7.
16. Aliefia DK, Umi K, Ika SR. Effect of gel betel Linn extract (Piper betle
linn.) to number of fibroblasts IIA burns degree in white rats (Rattus
norvegicus) galur wistar. Majalah Kesehatan FKUB 2015;2:16-28.
17. Das S, Mandal SK. Current developments on anti-inflammatory natural
medicines. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:61-5.
18. Rocha J, Eduardo-Figueira M, Barateiro A, Fernandes A, Brites D,
Bronze R, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of rosmarinic acid and an
extract of Rosmarinus officinalis in rat models of local and systemic
inflammation. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2015;116:398-413.
19. Bozin B, Mimica-Dukic N, Samojlik I, Jovin E. Antimicrobial and
antioxidant properties of rosemary and sage (Rosmarinus officinalis L.
And Salvia officinalis L. Lamiaceae) essential oils. J Agric Food Chem