CHARGE-TRANSFER COMPLEXES OF CHLORPHENOXAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE WITH CHLORANILIC ACID, 2,3-DICHLORO-5,6-DICYANO-1,4-BENZOQUINONE AND 7,7,8,8-TETRACYANOQUINODIMETHANE AS π-ACCEPTORS
Objective: To develop simplified, accurate and precise visible spectrophotometric strategies for the assay of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride (CPX) in pure drug and in its pharmaceutical preparations.
Methods: The described methods depended on the formation of charge-transfer (CT) complexes of intense color between CPX as donor with three π-acceptors, chloranilic acid (CLA), 2,3-dichloro-5,6-dicyano-1,4-benzoquinone (DDQ), and 7,7,8,8-tetracyanoquinodimethane (TCNQ) and the colored reaction products were estimated spectrophotometrically at 520 nm, 460 nm and 840 nm for CLA, DDQ, and TCNQ complexes, individually. All the optimum conditions were established. The proposed methods were validated in term of linearity, limit of detection as per the international conference on harmonization guidelines ICH Q2 (R1).
Results: The complexes obeyed Beer’s law in the concentration range of 16-144, 6-54 and 4-76 μg/mlwith molar absorptivity at 0.30×104, 0.68×104 and 0.58×104 l/mol/cm for CLA, DDQ, and TCNQ, individually. According to Benesi-Hildebrand plots, the association constants and changes of standard free energy were determined. 1:1 was the ratio of composition of the formed CT-complex.
Conclusion: The obtained results revealed that the developed method can be applied successfully for the determination of CPX in drug formulations samples with good accuracy and precision.
2. Abdel Ghani N, Hussein S. Flow injection potentiometric determination of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride. J Appl Electrochem 2010;40:2077-90.
3. Hassan WS, El-Henawee MM, Gouda AA. Spectrophotometric determination of some histamine H1-antagonists drugs in their pharmaceutical preparations. Spectrochim Acta A 2008;69:245-55.
4. Hassan AM, El-Asmy AF, Abd El-Raheem YB. Novel methods for the visible spectrophotometric determination of pipazethate HCl and chlorphenoxamine HCl in pure and tablet dosage forms. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:2589-601.
5. Ayad M, Saleh H, El-Mammli M, EL-Bolkiny M, EL-Henawee M. Determination of certain antihistamines through ternary complex formation. Anal Lett 1993;26:913-23.
6. Alaa SA, EL-Henawee MM. Colorimetric method for the simultaneous determination of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride and anhydrous caffeine in pure and dosage forms with rose bengal. Mikrochim Acta 1995;118:177-83.
7. Kelani KM. Simultaneous determination of caffeine, 8-chlorotheophylline, and chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride in ternary mixtures by ratio-spectra zero-crossing first-derivative spectrophotometric and chemometric methods. J AOAC Int 2005;88:1126-34.
8. Magda M, El-Henawee H, Saleh M, EL-Bolkiny N. UV derivative spectrophotometric determination of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride in combination with anhydrous caffeine. Spectro Lett 1990;23:273-83.
9. Dinc E, Palabiyik IM, Ustundag O, Yurtsever F, Onur F. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride and caffeine in a pharmaceutical preparation using first derivative of the ratio spectra and chemometric methods. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:591-600.
10. Temizer A, Ozaltin N. Polarographic determination of antihistamines by complexation with Cd (II). J AOAC Int 1986;69:192-5.
11. Abdel Ghani NT, Abu Elenien GM, Hussein SH. Differential pulse voltammetric determination of chlorphenoxamine hydrochloride and its pharmaceutical preparations using platinum and glassy carbon electrodes. J Appl Electrochem 2010;40:499-505.
12. Bebawy LI, El-Kousy NM. Simultaneous determination of some multicomponent dosage forms by quantitative thin layer chromatography densitometric method. J Pharm Biomed Anal 1999;20:663-70.
13. Maurer H, Pfleger K. Screening procedure for the detection of alkanolamine antihistamines and their metabolites in urine using computerized gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr 1988;428:43-60.
14. Wang YQ, Che WJ, Wang L, Xu CX, Lu J. Determination of nine anti-allergy drugs residue in cosmetics by solid phase extraction-rapid resolution liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Chin J Anal Chem 2013;41:394-9.
15. International Conference on Harmonization I. Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology, Q2(R1). Switzerland, Geneva; 1994.
16. Nash RA, Wachter AH. Pharmaceutical process validation. New York: Markel Dekker, Inc; 2008.
17. Kumar R, Chandra A, Gautam PK. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for quantitative estimation of famotidine in bulk and tablet dosage form. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:381-5.
18. Manasa P, Jaffer SK, Ashwini M, Kumar AA. A simple and a cheap UV assay method development and validation for the estimation of eplerenone in a tablet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:348-51.
19. Davidson AG. Ultraviolet-visible absorption spectro-photometry. In: Beckett AH, Stenlake JB. Practical pharmaceutical chemistry. 4th ed. Part 2. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 2002. p. 275-337.
20. Job, P. Formation and stability of inorganic complexes in solution. Ann Chem 1928;9:113-203.
21. Vosburgh WC, Cooper GP. Complex ions I. The identification of complex ions in solution by spectrophotometric measurements. J Am Chem Soc 1941;63:437-42.
22. Ritesh K, Amrish C, Swati G, Pawan KG. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for quantitative estimation of lafutidine in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:75-9.
23. Foster R. Organic charge transfer complexes, Academic Press: London; 1969. p. 51.
24. Abdel Hamid ME, Abdel Salam M, Mahrous MS, Abdel Khalek MM. Utility of 2, 3-dichloro-5, 6-dicyano p-benzoquinone in assay of codeine, emetine and pilocarpine. Talanta 1985;32:1002-4.
25. Kumar TV, Veeraiah T, Venkateshwarlu G. Molecular complexes of phenols with DDQ. Indian Acad Sci (Chem Sci) 2000;112:119-25.
26. Benesi HA, Hildebrand JH. A spectrometric investigation of the interaction of iodine with aromatic hydrocarbons. J Am Chem Soc 1949;71:2703-7.
27. Briegleb G, Czekalla J. Intensity of electron transition bands in electron donator acceptor complexes. Z-Physic Chem 1960;24:37-54.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.