EXTRACTION-SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF SOME ANTIHYPERTENSIVE DRUGS IN PHARMACEUTICAL AND BIOLOGICAL FLUIDS USING TWO SULPHONPHTHALEIN DYES
Objective: Two simple and sensitive extractive spectrophotometric methods have been described for the determination of some antihypertensive drugs namely, bisoprolol (BIS), carvedilol (CAR), propranolol (PRP) and telmisartan (TLM) either in pharmaceutical formulations or biological fluids.
Methods: The proposed methods involve the formation of yellow colored ion-pair complexes of the studied drugs with two sulphonphthalein dyes as bromophenol blue (BPB) and bromocresol purple (BCP) in acidic medium.
Results: The colored products are extracted into methylene chloride and measured spectrophotometrically at 402 nm for all the drugs. Beerâ€™s law limits, Sandell sensitivity values, limits of detection (LOD) and quantification (LOQ) values have also been reported for both the methods. The composition of the ion-pair complexes was found 1: 1 by JobÊ¼s continuous variations method. The effects of concentration of dye, pH and interference of excipients have been studied and optimized. The accuracy and precision of the methods were evaluated on intra-day and inter-day basis; the relative standard deviation (RSD) was<1.72%. Various analytical parameters have been evaluated and the results have been validated by statistical data and indicated no significant difference in accuracy and precision.
Conclusion: The proposed methods were successfully applied to the determination of the studied drugs in pharmaceutical formulations and in biological fluids.Keywords: Antihypertensive drugs, Sulphonphthalein dyes, Ion-pair, Pharmaceuticals.
2. Dubach P, Myers J, Bonetti P, Schertler T, Froelicher V, Wagner D. Effects of bisoprolol fumarate on left ventricular size, function, and exercise capacity in patients with heart failure: Analysis with magnetic resonance myocardial tagging. J Am Heart 2002;143:676-83.
3. Tutunji MF, Ibrahim HM, Khabbas MH, Tutunji LF. Simultaneous determination of bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide in human plasma by HPLC coupled with tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B 2009;877:1689-97.
4. Caudron E, Laurent S, Billaud EM, Prognon P. Simultaneous determination of the acid/base antihypertensive drugs celiprolol, bisoprolol and irbesartan in human plasma by liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B 2004;801:339-45.
5. Ulu ST, Aydogmus Z. An HPLC method for the determination of bisoprolol in human plasma and its application to a pharmacokinetic study. J Chromatogr Sci 2012;50:615-9.
6. Saleem S, Thusleem OA, Muneera MS, Akmal J, Kondaguli AV, Ruckmani K. A simple and rapid high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide in a tablet dosage form. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2008;48:1055-7.
7. Joshi SJ, Karbhari PA, Bhoir SI, Bindu KS, Das C. RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet formulation. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;52:362-71.
8. Braza AJ, Modamio P, Lastra CF, Marino EL. Development, validation and analytical error function of two chromatographic methods with fluorimetric detection for the determination of bisoprolol and metoprolol in human plasma. Biomed Chromatogr 2002;16:517-22.
9. Patel LJ, Suhagia BN, Shah PB, Shah RR. Simultaneous estimation of bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC method. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:635-8.
10. Vora DN, Kadav AA. Development and validation of a simultaneous HPLC method for estimation of bisoprolol fumarate and amlodipine besylate from tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;70:539-42.
11. Lawson G, Cocks E, Tanna S. Bisoprolol, ramipril and simvastatin determination in dried blood spot samples using LCâ€“HRMS for assessing medication adherence. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2013;81â€“82:99â€“107.
12. Chang H, Li J, Li J, Guan X, Sun F, Qian Z, et al. Simultaneous determination of amlodipine and bisoprolol in rat plasma by a liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry method and its application in pharmacokinetic study. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2012;71:104-10.
13. Bozal B, Gumustas M, Dogan-Topal B, Uslu B, Ozkan SA. Fully validated simultaneous determination of bisoprolol fumarate and hydrochlorothiazide in their dosage forms using different voltammetric, chromatographic, and spectrophotometric analytical methods. J AOAC Int 2013;96:42-51.
14. El_Didamony AM, Shehata AM. Spectrophotometric determination of Î²-adrenergic antagonists drugs via ion-pair complex formation using MO and EBT. Opt Spectrosc 2014;117:492â€“9.
15. Ulu ST, Kel E. Spectrophotometric determination of bisoprolol in pharmaceutical preparations by charge transfer reactions. Opt Spectrosc 2012;112:864â€“7.
16. The Merck Index. 13th ed. Merck and Co, INC Whitehouse station, NJ; 2001. p. 318.
17. Anderson P, Knoben J, Troutman W. 10th ed. Handbook of clinical drug data. McGraw-Hill, New York; 2002. p. 354-5.
18. Moffat AC, Osselton MD, Widdop B. Clarkeâ€™s Analysis of drugs and poisons in pharmaceuticals, body fluids and postmortem material. 3rd ed. Pharmaceutical Press. London; 2004. p. 760-1.
19. Flanagan RJ. Guidelines for the interpretation of analytical toxicology results and unit of measurement conversion factors. Ann Clin Biochem 1998;35:261-5.
20. Moser M, Frishman WH. Results of therapy with carvedilol, a Î²-blocker vasodilator with antioxidant properties, in hypertensive patients. Am J Hypertens 1998;11:15S-22S.
21. Martindale. The complete drug reference. 34th ed. Pharmaceutical Press. Great Britain; 2004. p. 881.
22. Abdel Fattah LS, Mohamed TA, Taha EA. Spectrofluorimetric determination of carvedilol in dosage form and spiked human plasma through derivatization with 1-dimethylaminonaphthalene-5-sulphonyl chloride. Chem Ind Chem Eng Q 2010;16:31âˆ’8.
23. Shariati-Rad M, Irandoust M, Sheikhi S. Development of a highly sensitive and selective spectrophotometric method for the determination of carvedilol in pharmaceutical and urine samples. RSC Adv 2014;4:40816-23.
24. Manohar SD, Sridhar DA, Mallikarjuna SC. Development of UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of carvedilol in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. Asian J Res Chem 2013;6:956-9.
25. Soleymanpour A, Ghasemian M. Chemically modified carbon paste sensor for the potentiometric determination of carvedilol in pharmaceutical and biological media. Meas 2015;59:14â€“20.
26. Yilmaz B, Arslan S. Determination of carvedilol in human plasma by gas chromatographyâ€“mass spectrometry method. J Chromatogr Sci 2001;49:35-9.
27. Zarghi A, Foroutan SM, Shafaati A, Khoddam A. Quantification of carvedilol in human plasma by liquid chromatography using fluorescence detection: application in pharmacokinetic studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2007;44:250â€“3.
28. Belal TS, Shaalan RA, El Yazbi FA, Elonsy SM. Validated stability-indicating HPLCâ€“DAD determination of the antihypertensive binary mixture of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage forms. Chromatographia 2013;76:1707â€“20.
29. Suddhasattya D, Dhiraj KSA, Sreenivas D, Sandeep AC. Analytical method development, validation of carvedilol by HPLC in bulk and dosage form. J Pharm Res 2010;3:3075-7.
30. Magiera S, Adolf W, Baranowska I. Simultaneous chiral separation and determination of carvedilol and 5â€™-hydroxyphenyl carvedilol enantiomers from human urine by high performance liquid chromatography coupled with fluorescent detection. Cent Eur J Chem 2013;11:2076-87.
31. Patel LJ, Suhagia BN, Shah PB, Shah RR. RP-HPLC and HPTLC methods for the estimation of carvedilol in bulk drug and pharmaceutical formulations. Indian J Pharm Sci 2006;68:790-3.
32. Haggag RS, Shaalan RA, Belal TS. Validated HPLC determination of the two fixed dose combinations (chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride and mebeverine hydrochloride; carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide) in their tablets. J AOAC Int 2010;93:1192-200.
33. Zhou R-D, Li L-S, Cheng B-P, Nie G-Z, Zhang H-F. Enantioseparation and determination of propranolol in human plasma on a new derivatized Î²-cyclodextrin-bonded phase by HPLC. Chin J Anal Chem 2014;42:1002-9.
34. Yilmaz B, Erol Z. Determination of carvedilol in rabbit plasma by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Asian J Chem 2011;23:49-53.
35. Bilal Y, Sakir A. Determination of carvedilol in human plasma by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry method. J Chromatogr Sci 2011;49:35-9.
36. Gil-Agusti M, Carda-Broch S, Capella-Peiro ME, Esteve-Romero J. Micellar liquid chromatographic determination of five antianginals in pharmaceuticals. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41:1235-42.
37. Borges NCDC, Rigato HM, De Oliveira PR, Nogueira DR, Moreno RA, Dalmora SL. Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry method for the determination of propranolol in human plasma and its application to a bioequivalence study. J Liq Chromatogr Related Technol 2008;31:2927-41.
38. Bhushan R, Thiongo GT. Direct enantioseparation of some beta-adrenergic blocking agents using impregnated thin layer chromatography. J Chromatogr B 1998;708:330-4.
39. Zhang JR, Pang H, Wang WH, Hou Z, Zhang Q. Second order derivative spectrophotometry of propranolol hydrochloride tablets. Chin J Pharm 1996;27:516-8.
40. GÃ¶lcÃ¼ A. New, simple, and validated UV-spectrophotometric method for the estimation of some Î²-blockers in bulk and formulations. J Anal Chem 2008;63:538-43.
41. Ramesh KC, Gowda BG, Seetharamappa J, Keshavayya J. Indirect spectrofluorimetric determination of piroxicam and propranolol hydrochloride in bulk and pharmaceutical Preparations. J Anal Chem 2003;58:933-6.
42. Silva LC, Trevisan MG, Poppi RJ, Sena MM. Direct determination of propranolol in urine by spectrofluorimetry with the aid of second order advantage. Anal Chim Acta 2007;595:282-8.
43. Tabrizi AB. A simple spectrofluorimetric method for determination of piroxicam and propranolol in pharmaceutical preparations. J Food Drug Anal 2007;15:242-8.
44. Bai X, You T, Yang X, Wang E. Determination of three Î²-blockers by capillary electrophoresis with end-column electrochemical detection. Electroanal 2000;12:1379-82.
45. Gimenes DT, Marra MC, MuÃ±oz RAA, Angnes L, Richter EM. Determination of propranolol and hydrochlorothiazide by batch injection analysis with amperometric detection and capillary electrophoresis with capacitively coupled contactless conductivity detection. Anal Methods 2014;6:3261â€“7.
46. Nevado JJB, Flores JR, PeÃ±alvo GC, Bernardo FJG. Development and validation of a capillary zone electrophoresis method for the determination of propranolol and N-desisopropylpropranolol in human urine. Anal Chim Acta 2006;559:9-14.
47. El-Ries MA, Abou-Sekkina MM, Wassel AA. Polarographic determination of propranolol in pharmaceutical formulation. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;30:837-42.
48. Belal F, Al-Deeb OA, Al-Majed AA, Gad-Kariem EAR. Voltammetric determination of N-nitrosoderivatives of atenolol and propranolol in simulated gastric juice. ILFarmaco 1999;54:700â€“4.
49. Sartori ER, Medeiros RA, Rocha-Filho RC, Fatibello-Filho O. Square-wave voltammetric determination of propranolol and atenolol in pharmaceuticals using a boron-doped diamond electrode. Talanta 2010;81:1418â€“24.
50. El-Didamony AM. A sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of propranolol HCl based on oxidation bromination reactions. Drug Test Anal 2010;2:122â€“9.
51. El-Didamony AM, Saad MZ, Ramadan GM. Kinetic spectrophotometric determination of Î²-adrenergic antagonists using alkaline potassium permanganate. Main Group Chem 2012;11:245â€“58.
52. Al-Attas AS. Utility of redox reaction for spectrophotometric determination of propranolol and isoxsuprine hydrochlorides in pure and dosage forms. Asian J Chem 2006;18:3033-9.
53. Bhandari A, Kumar B, Patel R. Spectrophotometric estimation of propranolol in tablet dosage form. Asian J Chem 2008;20:802-4.
54. Gohlke P, Weiss S, Jansen A, Wienen W, Stangier J, Rascher W, et al. AT1 receptor antagonist telmisartan administered peripherally inhibits central responses to angiotensin II in conscious rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001;298:62-70.
55. Karlberg BE, Lins LE, Hermansson K. Efficacy and safety of telmisartan, a selective AT1 receptor antagonist, compared with enalapril in elderly patients with primary hypertension. TEES Study Group. J Hypertens 1999;17:293-302.
56. Tekkeli SEK, Ã–nal A. New spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for the determination of angiotensin II receptor antagonists in tablets and plasma. J Anal Chem 2014;68:501-9.
57. Bankey S, Tapadiya GG, Saboo SS, Bindaiya S, Jain D, Khadbadi SS. Simultaneous determination of ramipril, hydrochlorothiazide and telmisartan by spectrophotometry. Int J Chem Tech Res 2009;1:183-8.
58. Wankhede SB, Tajne MR, Gupta KR, Wadodkar SG. RPHPLC method for simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:298-300.
59. Kurade VR, Pai MG, Gude R. RP-HPLC estimation of ramipril and telmisartan in tablet. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:148-51.
60. Elshanawane AA, Abdelaziz LM, Kamal MM, Hafez HM. A quantitative determination of four angiotensin-II-receptor antagonists in presence of hydrochlorothiazide by a gradient technique HPLC in their pharmaceutical preparations. J Liq Chromatogr RT 2014;37:171-86.
61. Shah NJ, Suhagia BN, Shah RR, Shah PB. Development and validation of HPTLC method for the simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide in tablet dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:202-5.
62. Prabhu C, Subramanian GS, Karthik A, Kini S, Rajan MS, Udupa N. Determination of telmisartan by HPTLCâ€“A stability indicating assay. J Planar Chromatogr 2007;20:477-81.
63. Alarfaj NA. Square wave adsorptive stripping voltammetric determination of antihypertensive agent telmisartan in tablets and its application to human plasma. J Anal Chem 2013;68:335â€“40.
64. Thomas LC. 8th Edn. Colorimetric chemical analytical methods. Tintometer Ltd Salisbury, England; 1974. p. 27.
65. Diamond RM. Solvent extraction chemistry. North Holland, Amsterdam; 1967. p. 349.
66. Job P. Formation and stability of inorganic complexes in solution. Ann Chim 1928;9:113â€“203.
67. Miller JN, Miller JC. 5th ed. Statistics and chemometrics for analytical chemistry. Prentice Hall, England; 2005. p. 256.